Sign in to follow this  
red-rado

The Red Rado. Updated 08/09/08

Picked her up from Hounslow last night. Gave her a good clean and polish this morning. Shes a 1.8 KR 16v, pretty much bone standard.

Picture050-2.jpg

Picture049-2.jpg

Picture051-2.jpg

Picture046-1.jpg

Reflection shots

Picture052-1.jpg

Picture057-1.jpg

Bay shot

Picture056-2.jpg

Does anyone have a guide to tuning a K'jet motor? And what should the timing be?

The engine doesnt rev very freely and takes ages to 'come down' after its been rev'ed

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers guys, im quite pleased with her. The engine is deffinately not running right though. The revs dont rise and fall quick enough and it has a slight misfire when cold. I think i'll give it a good service and see if i can find someone who knows 16v's well to tune her up a bit.

Nice one, i had my eye on this :D

Check throttle switches are operating mechanically and electrically, check for air leaks, and pop the isv off and clean it out with carb cleaner or similar.

Neil.

Welcome to the forum :wave: Looks a lot better now than it did in the ad and not a bad price either :wink:

Cheers guys. Its not a minter by any means but it is pretty straight. Its got a few dodgy bits here and there but being my first corrado I was suprised at how well it drove for an 18 year old car.

Im going to have a play around with the engine later. Does anyone know what the timing should be? approx 5degrees?

Cheers.

looks really really tidy that does mate, look after her and then you will be able to sell it on easier when you want a VR ;) hehe

Cheers.

Just started havin a poke around the engine bay.

Started with the metering head

Picture-6.jpg

Gave that a nice clean out along with all of the intake piping and throttle body. I then turned my attention to the distributor, that had a bit of oil in it (nothing too much to worry about.)

But then I decided to take the spark plugs out and have a look at their colour. Number one was barely tightened at all and when i pulled it out was covered in oil. Number 2 was even worse. Suspect rocker cover gasket failure. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great.

Anyhow, oily leads/plugs cant have been helping the lack of power and explains where its losing oil from. I can see the guys i bought this car off were complete cowboys on the engineering front so im going to go through the whole engine to search for problems.

Does anyone know what the timing should be? approx 5degrees?
Your best bet is getting the Haynes book for the Golf/Jetta 1.8 16V (KR engine code), for checking what the timing is supposed to be. Haynes (and for that matter VW) didn't publish a Corrado 16V service book :shrug: If you are still stuck, do a set of searches, then if you can't find the info, post some questions in the Engine Bay area :wink:

Lovely! You got any plans for it? I had the same oily sparkplug problem and it turned out to be the gasket. Welcome to the forum btw 8)

Rocker cover gasket is now on order, I should get round to replacing that monday/tuesday.

Ive got a set of coilovers which will be going on next week sometime. Im selling my mirror polished Schmidt modernlines as they are a bit too wide for the rado. Fancy a set of design 90's.

Im based in Essex, not far from Colchester.

Thats a mint Corrado, on the outside... But sorry about the engine, it must feels kind of bad to have a non running engine in that kind of showroom car.

Cheers guys.

@ Wompa. The engine runs fine. Just lacks power and burns oil :lol:

Update:

Fitted my coilies yesterday. The ride height is a little wonky but im going to even it out before the new wheels go on.

Picture059.jpg

Picture063.jpg

One with its big brother

Picture062.jpg

Nice C you've got there mate, i have a slight mis fire when its cold but i have chaged everything, distributor, leads, plugs, cleaned the isv and clean the metering head, still cant sort it!

On the revs reducing slowly you need to check at the back of the throttle body, underneath there is a rubber damper which is there to stop the inlet closing too quickly and starving the engine, it is an adjustable one, 12mm socket to undo the nut and then once its is loose then wind it out so the stop is at about 2k rpm, i found this gave better throttle response and gave me hance to clean everything up......hope this is some help.

The guys i bouyght my nugget valver off were cowboys so i have had some work to do.

I would also do a check on the pulleys and check they have all the screws in and are tight, i had one sheer off as it was only held on with 2 not 4 bolts, worth checking because when it goes it can lead to the head gasket going as the water pump has no drive.........

just my 2p's worth but worth knowing

Cheers for the advice buddy. I'll check out the rubber damper later on.

Ive just had done the rocker cover gasket and checked everything over and tidied a few things up.

Stripped the manifold off

Picture092.jpg

Took off the rocker cover. The gasket underneath was very brittle and cracked on removal - probably why it was leaking then :lol: However the head looked pretty clean, camshafts had no noticeable marks or wear and the chain looked clean and fairly tought.

Picture093.jpg

Then all re-assembled with High temp painted rocker cover

Picture094.jpg

I removed the exhaust heat shield/hot air feed as two of its mounts had corroded through and it was rattling like a bugger. Im going to give it a full service today as the spark plugs are caked in oil and the dizzy cap and rotor arm look pretty old. God knows when it last had an oil change :shock:

Thanks buddy.

Im pleased to report that the engine is now running much better. After I found a few small air leaks and added an extra engine earth the engine is running much better. Its going in for a quick tune up monday so hopefully she'll be running spot on. 8)