Sean_Jaymo

Sean Jaymo - Grey Scale!! Pg8 - Go on have a look!

nop not mine mate. that will of been bally's! check his thread out - he won a prize. they just look similar!

Ever since I have had the old girl, its been running on the warm side, fine when on the move but climbed quickly when making good progress or sitting in traffic! Then I had a hose come off when navigating a round-about. Steam everywhere and an angry biker emerging from the steam in my wake!

I managed to bodge it back together but found a decidedly sorry-for-itself elbow on the top of the radiator! New one from VW £6.82+ vat pt# W535-121-647

IMG_2752.jpg

Also fitted a new radiator as well as the old one was rather tired after 150k - Have also fitted a new thermo-switch and thermostat. Result? Runs a whole load cooler and spot on spec but still sits around 100c in traffic. There is another switch on the cooling manifold that I can replace as well so will do that and see where it takes me!

IMG_2762.jpg

New and old

IMG_2761.jpg

I also decided to change the indicator stalks as I managed to get hold of some face lifted ones to replace the old style ones. I then discovered that you also need the top steering column shroud from the face lift so that the new and improved big hazard button will fit. VW being VW, the parts under the skin are exactly the same so I just had to swap over some bits! SO I now have some posh new stalks (which are a damn site more ergonomic than the olds ones) with the old button fitted :)

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Laters tatters!

Result? Runs a whole load cooler and spot on spec but still sits around 100c in traffic.

Thats about normal for a VR, both VRs i've had run to that sitting in traffic. Use VAG COM to check the real temperature, you'll find its really a bit lower than that, the gauge isnt very accurate.

It is now starting to sit closer to 110 than 100. There is a switch on the coolant manfold which i'm sure will cure it but have just ordered myself an adapter for my OBD2 interface that I already have. Shall see in the week what that brings!

Update for October!

I have finally managed to get rid of the Audi wheels that originally came with the car. I have gone with the old faithfull, Tried and tested BBS RXII's. I used to have these fitted to my Golf before I sold her. A slight unusual twist in that they have been refurbed into Antracite. They are quite a good mix even if I do say so myself!!

Any way, here are a few pics for you to enjoy. Yeah I know the car needs a clean :)

96512d9b.jpg

0f1ca04a.jpg

14b047ea.jpg

The next bits i'm going to do are to fit some coilovers, but then I am on a working Holiday until the end of January so will fit them then. I have a Camshaft Hall sensor coming tomorrow so that should help to restore the missing 40-50 ponies!!

Looking good, i was thinking of doing my wheels anthracite for the winter and i think you've just convinced me :)

Yeah you were right! Not the nicest!

Right I'm back from my little 3 month jaunt away from home and the C! Man did I miss driving her! I got back yesterday knowing that I had to replace the battery as the cold had got hold of the old one and killed it off! So off I trotted to Halfords today, trade card in hand to go and buy a new one. Yes I know I could have gone and got a "proper" branded one from somewhere but I wanted her running again so i'm now £60 lighter but at least the car is now running!

The only things I have found wrong with her after being stood for 3 months bar an occasional jaunt out are that the speedo climbed to 27 mph and got stuck there and the rev counter refuses to work. Also the main beam has decided to stop working but i'm sure that is a relay from the uprated headlight loom. I really need to find a way of sealing those so that the damp doesn't get into it. Any ideas?

I've had a search on here to hopefully find a cure for the speedo and rev counter but i'm a bit lost. I'm pretty certain it will be a bad shared earth somewhere but not sure where to start looking? Behind the cluster?

I now have a few weeks off work so I am going to give the old girl a good service and some much needed tlc! I have also got back to find that the good lady herself has gone and bought me some Lupo wipers! I'm impressed, correct part numbers and everything! Those will be fitted tomorrow hopefully! Photos to follow in the next few days!!

Cheers fella! It was kinda lucky that the colour combo came up! I had those wheels for my previous Mk4 but the guy I bought them off had a Corrado and since I saw that, the bug was planted for a car change!

She needs some TLC over the next week or so hopefully I can cure all of those niggling faults that the damp weather seems to have brung!

Right, I've been back a week! Loved being able to get behind the wheel again! I haven't done as much work to her as I would have liked but I did pop into the dealers the other day and came out with all of this stuff!

Full set of filters, plugs and oil. The last time I could find any receipts for a service were back in May 2006! Not good although there are plenty of receipts for "as needed" service parts! Seeing as she has also stood for 3 months in the damp, it was best to do a full job!

26012009006.jpg

The oil was BLACK!! So good to get some new stuff in there! Gone for a slightly thick 10w40 in the hope to reduce some of the usage i've been having. Fingers crossed this works! Changed all of the plugs for new genuine ones. Cylinder 6 was minging though a bit disconcerting!

26012009008.jpg

I need to get hold a new set of HT leads now. I wasn't keen on paying somewhere in the region of £130 plus the dreaded for some VW leads! New airfilter also helps seeing as the old one was damp and had mold patches on it! Hmmm Nice! Needless to say, 3 months sat in the corner of a damp Cotswolds winter garden don't help! I'm massively impressed with the improvement! All she needs now is a clean and to figure out why the stage one fans aren't coming on anymore? Must be a loose connection somewhere! They worked when I left!

I also managed to fit the Lupo wipers! WHY DIDN'T I DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! They are fantastic and allow driving in the rain to become a reality! All of the little gremlins with the speedo and rev counter have miraculously vanished! Ah damp electronics!

I thought I had pretty much the only surviving K reg VR let alone a grey one and I see you've got one too!!! :lol: Looks very OE+ on those wheels too 8)

Oh man I’m so jealous.. that’s my favourite colour for a Rad… I’ve given up trying to find a quality Rad in that colour…absolutely gorgeous!

And the wheels... Belissimo... :clap:

I thought I had pretty much the only surviving K reg VR let alone a grey one and I see you've got one too!!! :lol: Looks very OE+ on those wheels too 8)

I did wonder if I would ever see another! They do seem rare as rocking horse..! Does yours have the new interior or the pre-facelift??

Cheers Irish! I did jump at the opportunity to get my hands on this when I realised how rare it was!I need to call VW and see if I can get hold of some sort of history of it? OEM+ for me!

It's ok :)

Strange mine has the old interior and the old Dizzy engine! Looks like a complete mis-mash of cars were built at this time!!

Yours looks great! Looks like a more tidier example than mine! I'm sure mine has been through a hedge at some point....