Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

Rattling Window.

Does any of you guys have a problem with your windows rattling half way down when going over small bumps- mine do and it's really annoying- have looked at the weather strip (window scraper thingy) and it doesnt even meet the glass theres quite a big gap all the way along- Is this the problem? is this a common problem??

Please help this rattling is driving me insane!

Yeah, my G60 did it, and my Mk1 golf too. Apparently theres a rubber arm or something inside the door which can be reattached but if i remember right - no one ever got round to doing it succesfully??? Anyone prove me wrong there?

Mines the same gringo, theres a massive gap on the passenger side between the rubber and the gap, I also noticed that the rubber on the drivers side is 2 peice, and on the passenger side its 1!

They all rattle. Not much can be done about it without dismantling the mechanism and replacing the guides or welding things up and stuff.

Either get used to it or start saving..

Yeah, my G60 did it, and my Mk1 golf too. Apparently theres a rubber arm or something inside the door which can be reattached but if i remember right - no one ever got round to doing it succesfully??? Anyone prove me wrong there?

My G60 does it too :lol:

How much and where did you get said seal from? I know mine doesn't touch the glass either, but I didn't think it was supposed to?

VW is the place and they are about 40quid each :shock:

They are supposed to push up against the glass to keep out water,wind and to stop the window rattle ......its worth the money to stop that anoying rattle :mad:

VW is the place and they are about 40quid each :shock:

They are supposed to push up against the glass to keep out water,wind and to stop the window rattle ......its worth the money to stop that anoying rattle :mad:

Thanks mate- looks like im going to have to go to my local dealer then for the a new rubber and a good shafting! £40! for a bit of rubber a foot and a half long!!!!

Yeah just got two delivered yesterday from GPC think it was £36 inc VAT think it was £44 from VAG.

Got these to solve the water leak I have in the passengers side, as with them being twelve years old the rubber was about 5mm from the glass so with the heavy rain lately was letting the water into the door then the car.

The rattle is nothing to do with the weather strips, but what Julesz mentioned on the second post. There are some guide runners inside the door that have either broken, detached themselves or come loose.

The weather strips are just for 'leaning' against the glass to fill the gap, they're not designed to apply a specific lateral pressure to the window.

K

It's not the glass that rattles on mine - it's a loose plastic clip/runner at the back of the passenger door window. Gonna have to strip the door & see how I can bodge it tight again.

Only rattles when the window is fully closed. When the regulator presses the glass into the top of the door, this clip becomes loose.

The rattle is nothing to do with the weather strips, but what Julesz mentioned on the second post. There are some guide runners inside the door that have either broken, detached themselves or come loose.

The weather strips are just for 'leaning' against the glass to fill the gap, they're not designed to apply a specific lateral pressure to the window.

K

I've striped my doors down to find this fault that somebody had mentioned,but there was nothing besides the window rail/guide,the support was needed at the top half of the door and not the lower half of the door as nothing supports it besides the two inner and outer weather strips (its like a sandwich and the glass is the ham)changed the rubber strips and presto...but im sure this is all coincidence :?

Another mate changed his strips and the rattle went...but im sure this is all a coincidence hey Kev?

Have a look at the picture Stevemac kindly provided above and you'll see a guide rail and a window guide that live inside the door. This is what comes loose and causes the glass to rattle, but if you've already done that then, fair enough.

I have also replaced the weather strips and the rattle remains, so......?

K

If anybody has looked in there doors they will see that the guide rail does just that..Guides the glass up and doesn't hold it firm at the top since you mentioned full stop that weather strips have nothing to do with it seems you have already done so,with the weather strips fitted properly it will solve the rattle and it is the job of all the seals guides ect to keep the window tight, in your case maybe not.

If anybody has looked in there doors they will see that the guide rail does just that..Guides the glass up and doesn't hold it firm at the top since you mentioned full stop that weather strips have nothing to do with it seems you have already done so,with the weather strips fitted properly it will solve the rattle and it is the job of all the seals guides ect to keep the window tight, in your case maybe not.

I thought the rattle we were discussing occurs when the window is partially or half open? In which case the guide inside the door would stop the glass rocking?

I dunno....I'm not going to argue about it. I've fitted the seals properly and looked in the door for anything missing or loose. Seems OK in there. I'll wait until spring and have another go at it.

Typical isn't it - I only bought my car a week ago and now it's started rattling on the passenger side somewhere - it stops when the window isn't all the way up - from what you're all saying sounds like it's the guide or window seals or whatever.

Also my passenger side door handle won't open so at least I can do both things at the same time :)

mine only rattles when the window is fully closed,open it a few mm and it goes :?

Exactly the same problem as mine.

This problem is the loose plastic guide which fits inside the door & nothing to do with the window guide seals as some people have been experiencing.