Sign in to follow this  
tombell999

mmmm... these electric supercharger thingys...

now im sure a lot of you have seen these 'electric' superchargers for sale in various places.....now what do you lot think? there has been dyno tests tht say they have improved performance but im not so sure? anyway it would be good to listen to your thoughts..........

Engine Bay might be a bit more appropriate ;) ... Moving.

IMHO they're a big fat waste of money.

I have some old computer fans which I can sell you, which would do the same thing Tom :wink:

Basically, avoid, bigtime...

Pure tripe

It produces 250CFM of forced air into your manifold and it very quiet under the bonnet when turned on. In fact it has a nice aggressive sound, making it seem like you got something bigger then what you actually have under the bonnet.

a hamster in a wheel would be more effective mate if they're the ones i'm thinking of. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am pretty sure a hair dryer gives more power than this crap...

this reminds me of the "fuel saver" 8)

although leaf blowers have been dyno proven to add power, seen it on youtube so must be true.

yeh i saw some stupid wank, sorry meant yank? with a petrol leafblower going straight into he's manifold & he said it gave him an extra 120bhp on some honda

one word springs 2 mind.

tosser

I'm once came across a web site where a guy worked out the actual power required to generate a reasonable amount of boost through out the full rev range. The long and short of it was a several hp motor would be required(assuming 100% efficiencies), which equates to around 5KW. At 12V this is 416 Amp, assuming you actually manage to get hold of a suitable motor and fit it under the bonnet along with the required electronics/wiring it would probably last a grand total of 10 minutes until your battery is dead.

It would most likely be a lot cheaper to go a proven charged method (engine driven / exhaust gas driven) than even trying to get any sort of worthwhile power from an electric method.

As stated above "SAVE YOUR MONEY!"

I have some old computer fans which I can sell you, which would do the same thing Tom

Basically, avoid, bigtime...

sounds slightly better then that charger does!! how much do you want for them? (joking of course!)

i thought this would be the case i just thought it would be worth just finding out what everyone says, but i think i will stay well clear! i might just strap a mate onto the bonnet and tell him to blow into my intake (without sounding too dirty :shock: ) that will probably add bhp at a cheaper cost aswell! anyone got a bit of bailer twine spare? :D ill paint him yellow too and youll never know hes there! ill keep ya updated on my latest genious move................. :clap:

I was going to answer your question but you said 'cheapish'. ;)

Cams and an induction kit

Schrick manifold is good for torque

Supercharger is taking it to another level but you get good bhp for your money, although it's not exactly a cheap mod

Turbo etc etc

To be honetst im a fan of old school N/A tuning I.E. headwork, cams, induction and exhaust. but i have looked into electric superchargers (not the egay tat) and there are some suprising developments! as long as the unit is in-line to the intake and before the AFM (so the ECU can register the larger volume of air pressure and compensate with fuel) its just a case of calculating standard air rate drawn in throughout the rev range and finding a motor powerful enough to exceed it to make a difference.

Basically your talking a motor the size of your fist producing almost 25,000 rpm to make any significant difference!!! (bearing in mind a powerful angle grinder produces half that!!) but it is possible and worth looking into!

Yea avoid is really the best thing to do with the cheap stuff.

Notice how the 1st part of the ad is "CITROEN SAXO" says it all really, and yes I can mock the frenchies as I owned a 106 before my g60 :lol:

To be honetst im a fan of old school N/A tuning I.E. headwork, cams, induction and exhaust. but i have looked into electric superchargers (not the egay tat) and there are some suprising developments! as long as the unit is in-line to the intake and before the AFM (so the ECU can register the larger volume of air pressure and compensate with fuel) its just a case of calculating standard air rate drawn in throughout the rev range and finding a motor powerful enough to exceed it to make a difference.

Basically your talking a motor the size of your fist producing almost 25,000 rpm to make any significant difference!!! (bearing in mind a powerful angle grinder produces half that!!) but it is possible and worth looking into!

I still think you would need a fan alot larger then that bearing in mind a turbo spins upto 100,000 RPM

I still think you would need a fan alot larger then that bearing in mind a turbo spins upto 100,000 RPM

Yeah this is it, its a subject tackled throughout most forums at some point, its hard to muster the air flow needed but is possible. i had a design for one last year that runs about 45,000 rpm still yet to test it. interesting concept either way.

ok.... so what good cheapish moves are there to add a bit of bhp onto a vr then? apart from my friend on my bonnet

You haven't even put the lump in yet and you're already trying to make yours quicker then mine

Give up Tom it's a loosing battle you know what I'm like, I'd sell my eyes to buy a supercharger and only ever drive down really straight roads if yours even came close :D

Good luck with it though mate