Sign in to follow this  
crazymarcel

Hello & Gauge Panel

Hello everyone

Never been on here before so hello everyone, great site most useful and friendly and hello kevhaywire, miss not havein your handy knowledge and someone to talk about corrados with at work. Its not the same.

What brings me on is hopein to get some advice on the later spec display units which live in the center console. I just got one for my 93 vr6, along with the sender unit and a few other bits and bobs mentioned in an old issue of sprinter. They are still avalible from vw but have to come from germany, took less then a week to arrive.

Is the wiring already in the car?

If not does anybody have a wiring diagram or advice on fitting these, seems straight forwardish but would rather here from someone who has done this as im more ya garage fiddler then mechanic.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,

Gareth :D

Yea,

Display unit is 536919527

Sender unit is 535919561B - although a non vw/audi sender would be cheaper.

To have both mfa readout and console pressure operational need a T adapter to the takeoff on oil filter.

extension is 035103715

T piece is 030103717

Its cost me £185.77 all in, although the display unit costs about £100 and if ya found a cheaper sender unit u could save a bit there but i just wanted all the official vw parts to make the fitting a bit easier. I think i got a discount on it all too.

Seems a lot of money but makes for more corrado enjoyment and I've always wanted some.

Hey Gareth!

Welcome and what an excellent first post! This guage has panel has been mentioned a few times and they have been dubbed as impossible to get hold of. Obviously not it seems!

I might check yours out when it's in and working as I still work in Norwich (at a solicitors in tombland) and fit one myself if it's suitabley swanky! For the backlighting, you can just hack into the fag lighter light and there's already a hole and a grommet in the upper portion of the console cavity for the wires, neat!

Let me know when it's in or if you need a hand. I'll bring my VAG-COM lead too.

Kev

That's a nice bit of kit but I think these gauges really should have been a standard factory fit on a £20K+ car, even my old D reg Audi 80 Sport had similar gauges as standard! :) Hello and welcome to the forum BTW 8)

Hello Kev,

Yep they avalible from Cookes of fakenham a most helpful dealership and my mate gets discount there. I just ordered another set for someone and theres no limited stock or anything so who knows how many are avalible, they have to come from germany though, less then a weeks wait and rhd units so nothing to worry about.

I'll have to show you them when they fitted and all the other changes my cars been through. Its gettin there though. :D

Cheers for the welcome Delcorrado, i kinda agree with you on the they should have been there as standard, but spare a thought for someone i know with a brand new £20+k 320 bmw, does not even come with a cd player as standard. Thats a £400 option sir. :(

no ones actually answered the question yet though ;)

They look very nice, I might have to invest, but after x-mas :(

Welcome aboard BTW mate :)

Thera

If all C's have the same size cubby hole, then no it's not a VR only item, if that was the question you are referring to Dave?

Just need to make sure the sender is compatible with 16V and G60, but I would expect it is.

K

['H3R4POR]no ones actually answered the question yet though :wink:

Here you go then... :wink: :lol:

AFAIK corrados aren't fitted with the wiring for these as standard. The wiring is dead simple though... you'll need an ignition live (so that they only work when the engine's on! :roll: ), an earth (duh! :lol: ), and then you'll need to run 2 wires into the engine bay, one to each sender. You don't need to use very heavy gauge wire (5A will be more than fine 8) ) as there's practically no current on the wires, they just need to be a reasonable quality wire as the senders work by varying the resistance to earth, so rubbish wire will mess up your readings! :roll: :lol:

You'll actually need 2 T pieces to make this work, as for best results you should put your new senders in the same place as the factory senders and to do this you'll need a T piece for Temp and one for Pressure so that you can use both the original and the new senders at the same time... 8)

Cheers for the help everyone :D

They should be fitted sometime during my xmas hols all being well, The back of the display panel has a four pin plug adapter, would people use female halfords plug things or hunt out the original plug for this.

|Not sure if this would fit in older style dashboard corrados, due to the heater controls/ashtray sizes all different and this panel attaches by takeing the ashtray out and the bit that holds the ashtray in and attaching underneath, sorry my terms arent great.

Just use the Halfords style crimp fit insulated female spades... You'll have done well if you can find an original plug... :?

i believe the mk3 golf uses the same plug on the wiring to the back lights (not to actually plug into the lights but under the boot carpet on the way), although gonna check this out later.

would prefer an original plug but halfords jobbies will do if not.

Gareth (crazymarcel) - Have you managed to fit these into your Corrado OK yet?? Those gauges are next on my wish list but I would be happier knowing that they went in OK.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Gonna pick up the final part of what i need this week from vw dealer, its a t bar piece which will turn my sender into a dual pole sender, was all i was waiting for.

Will post some pics later this week or weekend once they are in, i don't expect any problems.