Sign in to follow this  
glen

What car next after VR6???

Dude, while I do agree that a 2001 BMW M5 is as cool, if not cooler, probably faster than a Corrado and will be as reliable (or more reliable if everyone on here - bar me - with a VR6 tends to say), but its a fair whack of cash more than a Corrado*, plus I imagine that its running costs might be more expensive. Apart from the interior, which looks like those god awful seat covers from Halfords I have to admit it looks like a nice package.

I think there's more than enough evidence on this forum of how reliable VR6s can be with some careful maintenance and expenditure :D

A car is only as reliable as it's owner.

As nice as M5s are, and I love them, those twin VANOS units are a ticking time bomb. £1500+VAT + fitting, each. And you'd only spend that if the engine is worth it, which due to the Nikasil issues, many won't be by now.

You can normally spot a pending big bill when you see so many cars being sold at the same mileage!

Personally, I view every next purchase as a potential project, so I'd only buy the M5 for it's excellent chassis and then fit a more reliable, less highly strung V8 into it.

For me, I think a boring Golf or Jetta 4 motion with a turbo strapped to the back is a good buy at the moment. In this day and age where you can't have anything nice because jealous f'cks vandalise or steal it......a Boring Bora is a perfect, unassuming, bland looking sleeper. People wouldn't bother themselves getting a key out of their pocket to scratch it.

500hp is easily attainable (which the chassis, drivetrain and engine can EASILY withstand long term) from (imo) a reasonable outlay.

It's the sensible man's performance bargain for the 21st century :D

A car is only as reliable as it's owner.

In this day and age where you can't have anything nice because jealous f'cks vandalise or steal it......a Boring Bora is a perfect, unassuming, bland looking sleeper. People wouldn't bother themselves getting a key out of their pocket to scratch it.

Absolutely - just why I like mine! [though it has had the scratchers at it]

Suspension's a bit soggy but the brakes are the best OEM kit I've ever had.

A downside is that it's 200kg heavier than the C.

Nice cruiser though - not quite as good as a 330Ci, but a lot cheaper!

Current prob is Climatronic failure - defaults to full blast on screen at max temp! Doesn't show external temp on dash readout - sensor kaput? Where on earth is the sensor?

GTV is indeed an awesome looking vehicle, but it's a shame you hear so many horror stories about Alfa's build quality/reliability.

yup....used to have GTV cup and it looked amazing and got loads of attention but it was put together with pritt stick :shock: , which eventually got on my nerves.....sooo many things just fell off and I think I look after my cars well ( I had it from new to ) !!

i've often hankered after the Maserati 3200GT, with the Boomeranf rear lights. They go for around 10-16k, which for a maser is damn good. How easy or forgiving they are to live with i have no idea, but i believe you can get two normal adults in the back too? Plus running, servicing and spares costs....

i've often hankered after the Maserati 3200GT, with the Boomeranf rear lights. They go for around 10-16k, which for a maser is damn good. How easy or forgiving they are to live with i have no idea, but i believe you can get two normal adults in the back too? Plus running, servicing and spares costs....

:lol:

they are mint to look at but unfortunatly not reliable as in theres always seems to be a little light on the dash. engines are pretty sound, you can pick a cheap 1 up, and they go like shit off a shovel, dont bother with a manual gearbox aint brilliant and nor is tryin to find 3rd ....4th....5th lol

auto's are good tho, shame they didnt do the paddle shift in them.

not very fogiving tho, especially in the wet.

most are abit rattley by now tho.

its the little problems that are so annoying with thses, electrics mainly.

servicing and spares are expensive tho. its the downfall of the car. wouldnt buy early 1, late yes!!

boomerang lights are quality, wish they continued them onto the 4200, bloody americans!!!

diffinatly a fun car tho!!

casual :wave:

Right I’m in the process of looking for a new motor, I have 5k - 6k to spend...

Have i missed any choices???

Wel,, if you'll consider a Civic, then surely the following too:

- plenty of RX8's about going cheap, low miles etc

- stretch to 7k and you'll get a 350z

- Vx220

- TT's galore

- C6 Corvette

.... etc

Porsche Boxster S

Honda NSX

Audi A3 3.2

Golf R32

Nissan 350z

Before I would have said:

Fiat Coupe 20vt

Alfa GTV

But they have got into the hands of the boy racers and I can see them going the same way as the Calibra which is a shame really!

Porsche Boxster S

Honda NSX

Audi A3 3.2

Golf R32

Nissan 350z

Fiat Coupe 20vt

Alfa GTV

But they have got into the hands of the boy racers and I can see them going the same way as the Calibra which is a shame really!

i would'nt change mine for any of those :lol:

Porsche Boxster S

Honda NSX

Audi A3 3.2

Golf R32

Nissan 350z

Fiat Coupe 20vt

Alfa GTV

i would'nt change mine for any of those :lol:

What about swappin for a new GTR then?! :norty:

So, you wat a car with looks, style power and awesome handling... I could sell you my Corrado...Assuming I'd actually sel it.

Keep the C!!! At least you get something with character...

From my experience - i went from a Vr to a B5 S4 2.7 TT. A very different car but great power and acceleration - also good prices now.

Was a bit big in comparison to Vr and even with quattro i was aware of its size when cornering (standard suspension).

Then i went to an S3 - much more like the Vr and quattro good too - handled very nicely. Different sort of power though - it had a slight remap - not huge increase in power but nice and smooth and very useable.

Now i need a "family" car i have had to get a newer shape A4 s line (2.0 TFSI) so not too bad but just landed myself another Vr for me to use - loving it again.

It all comes full circle or something like that.

Check out the '99 996 for under 13k on autotrader - must be something up :scratch:

yeah,its water-cooled and mass-produced compared to the previous air-cooled 911's

How about a Nissan 300ZX? Seen one lately and it looked great, lot of shitters about (like Corrado's!) and no doubt it'll cost a fortune to run - again like our beloved C's - but I'm sure the 3.0litre twin turbo must be sweeeeeet!

Maybe - but if you like the VR as a seriously innovative and smooth engine - looks like opportunities are running out to bag a sensibly sized car powered by VR.

A well converted R32 C must be favourite :grin:

followed by R32 Golf

as a consolation A3 quattro

[if you have the dosh 135 or 335 coupes?] :ignore:

Maybe - but if you like the VR as a seriously innovative and smooth engine - looks like opportunities are running out to bag a sensibly sized car powered by VR.

A well converted R32 C must be favourite :grin:

followed by R32 Golf

as a consolation A3 quattro

[if you have the dosh 135 or 335 coupes?] :ignore:

Philmo beat me to it!

I can't believe it ran to the fifth page before someone suggested a Corrado R32 conversion :scratch: :shrug:

Surely that's the best solution - style and class retained, speed and power increased, mpg conserved..?

And I get the impression that it wouldn't cost as much as £5-6k :clap:

i will be looking for around 6k when i get mine running.

You jest surely? After all the sweat & tears - not mention what should surely be a sublime result? :shock:

RIght now, I'd look at something like an E39 M5 as the crunch has killed the residuals for them. Even RS6's are tumbling and those are very nice to drive everyday. The M5 is also pre-2001 so you can get cheapy tax on it too - not bad for 400bhp stock, and it's not that much bigger physically that a Corrado actually.

But looking at it from the point of view of 'what is the nearest thing out there to what a Corrado is about' which I suspect is at the heart of the OP's question, my vote would be for either a MkIV R32 or a 350z. Both those are getting into cheap money now.

John

The M5 is also pre-2001 so you can get cheapy tax on it too - not bad for 400bhp stock, and it's not that much bigger physically that a Corrado actually.

John, you're not getting away with that statement! :nono: :wave: An E39, and a Corrado are quite different in size! Over 70cm difference in length, and easy 10cm in width.... I reckon your elastic tape measure could do with replacement.

hi

im looking at audi 80 coupe at the moment! pretty good looking car i reckon and im wondering......do they do a 16v quattro version in which case..will a 4 cylinder 20v turbo lump drop onto the gearbox its not very heavy so understeer will be reduced (compared with the huge heavy 5 cylinder hanging out the front anyway!) and chipped to i dont know 300bhp with quattro!! mmmm just i thought that im having at the moment, probably stick with the corrado for a bit as nothing else really gets close for the money grass is always greener and all that!

andy