Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

3.68 Final Drive, MPG bad?

is there any 6 speed box options that would fit with not much messing about ive got the 3.68 final drive not fitted it yet just bought it cos it came up cheap and was tempting, :wave: could you drop anything like a 4 motion box on they seem to be shorter geared when ive been in my mates. i like the sound of the 3.68 in to the vr6 but dont no if i want to feel like im in 3rd at 90 :scratch:

is there any 6 speed box options that would fit with not much messing about ive got the 3.68 final drive not fitted it yet just bought it cos it came up cheap and was tempting, :wave: could you drop anything like a 4 motion box on they seem to be shorter geared when ive been in my mates. i like the sound of the 3.68 in to the vr6 but dont no if i want to feel like im in 3rd at 90 :scratch:

I believe the 2.0 6 speed FSI box out of a golf or A3 should bold up ok with just a bit of fetlling to the gear linkage.

Im hoping it will only feel like 4th at 90 not 3rd :? :D

but the vr6 bell housing slops forward and the four cylinders slant back over....so you will need a 4 motion or r32 etc box with the transfer box removed?

so what's the ratio's of these like are they the same as a vr6 fitted with the 3.68 but with a extra gear if u like :shrug:

Just go 6-speed like me, gemini gearkit 8)

And whats cost of these? whats they like ratio wise? and how hard to fit? i like the sound of the accelration of the 3.68

its nice but way to much money for my ! there is a used quaife 6 speed box for sale on the net.

At what price mate is it on the bay

Which ever way you look at it, gearing is going to cost you.

£2500 + build for the Quaife

£1300 + build for the Gemini

£250-£300 + 24V stat housing + custom shafts + modded mounts + adapting plates etc for the O2M conversion

It's swings and roundabouts. The O2M is VW quality, plentiful, 6 speed and known to handle 500+ lb ft comfortably but it's not as easy or cheap to fit as people make out.

As it currently stands, I feel £1300 + building for the Gemini is good value and it's a real peice of VW Motorsport heritage :D

As it currently stands, I feel £1300 + building for the Gemini is good value and it's a real peice of VW Motorsport heritage :D

Think that is the way forward for me :norty:

are those gemini 3-6 sets still going sean?

You will have to get your name down, theres a bit of a wait.

I got my box all built up , waiting to go in 8)

Please let us know how you get on 8)

Matt

Yeah keep us posted Shaun, particularly on noise levels and rpm drop between shifts....

Mine's going to be months away I think :?

Incidentally, Shaun and I have gone with the Gemini "Sprint Kit" which keeps the factory 5th ratio as 6th with restacked 1st to 5th.

There is also an overdrive kit with the same 1st to 5th as the Sprint kit, but has a taller 6th....but the rpm drop from 5th to 6th is a tad big.

Further fine tuning can be achieved with a 3.9, 3.6 or 3.3 diff. Probably best to stick with the 3.3 on FWD applications .... but the acceleration with the 3.6 or 3.9 would be insane :D

Yeah keep us posted Shaun, particularly on noise levels and rpm drop between shifts....

You can definitely hear the difference compared to a stock box but it's not intrusive, I don't have all the factory soundproofing either, it's a "nice" noise, makes you feel good about spending all that money lol... (I found the original invoice the other day... It's a BIG number!)

Incidentally, Shaun and I have gone with the Gemini "Sprint Kit" which keeps the factory 5th ratio as 6th with restacked 1st to 5th.

Do you mean 3rd to 5th? I did not think they had any of the "full kits" available (i.e. 1st & 2nd)?

Further fine tuning can be achieved with a 3.9, 3.6 or 3.3 diff. Probably best to stick with the 3.3 on FWD applications .... but the acceleration with the 3.6 or 3.9 would be insane :D

Mine (is a "full kit") has a 3.9 FD but looking at the ratio's (on the group buy) I think mine are slightly different, 2.7 - 1st, 1.8 - 2nd, 1.45 - 3rd, 1.15 - 4th, 0.89 - 5th & 0.75 - 6th. I know mine gives about 42, 63, 78, 98, 126 & 150 @ 6500 rpm on 195/45/16's. Performance is ummm "sprightly" :) surprisingly little wheel spin but I do have an Torsen type diff fitted

Cheers

Simon

Was at JKM today, here quick pic of my box all built up ready to go in. Painted has well 8)

Germini 3rd to 6th gearkit & peloquin 3.3 diff / JKM quickshift and few other tweeks

Shame im not going to drive it for three weeks has there other work to be done, it will be worth the wait 8)

gemini box.JPG[/attachment:3vbzh7n5]