dub vr6

vr6 cams

whats wrong with 268's then?? why are 263's better?? cheers

less is more, minimalist tuning

i dont understand?? obv the vr6 is designed to be silky smooth, and a 263 will obv be smoother than a 268, but i cant imagine it will be hugely noticable??

i may be wrong?? Or do the 268's mean you lose a bit of torque down low, in response to the power gain up top??

Are 263 better balanced throughout the rev range or summat?? only reason im asking is because i have a set of schrick 268's in my garage ready for mine.

There's more to cams than just the duration number.

The 263s have more lobe seperation for better cylinder filling, so can work with normally aspirated and forced fed applications.

Schrick 268s on a stock VR6 rarely give any more than 15hp. Schimmel's 263s have shown a dyno proven 26hp gain on a stock VR6 (Vag-Hag's car).

Still want to fit those Schricks?

but the 26bhp gain was also after a re-map at stealth, so you wont see that gain just by fitting the cams.

Even better 28.4bhp gain when Stealth fitted mine and re-mapped (220.8 v 192.4) - unbelievably good these cams are :shock:

Even better 28.4bhp gain when Stealth fitted mine and re-mapped (220.8 v 192.4) - unbelievably good these cams are :shock:

Now I am hoping you are going to say YES, but........

Has anybody else got results anywhere near as good as yours?

Matt

Pretty sure there are quite a few good results that match that. VAG HAG ended up at 221.0 Think there were others around the 215- 220 mark which persuaded me to get in on the second group buy.

Pretty sure there are quite a few good results that match that. VAG HAG ended up at 221.0 Think there were others around the 215- 220 mark which persuaded me to get in on the second group buy.

Nice one sounding good!

Best get mine fitted soon then :clap:

but the 26bhp gain was also after a re-map at stealth, so you wont see that gain just by fitting the cams.

Goes without saying, which is why I didn't say it :lol:

What you tryin to say Kev? :lol:

yeh true Kev, but some people still think that when doing cams etc etc you will get the "true" performance figures without the need for a re-map.

I'm still yet to map mine after fitting the SP's but the difference is day and night, really has turned it from being a smooth motorway mile muncher into a right Peperami...

They're so good I've been tempted for a while now to buy a cheap Sharan VR, Strip it, and drop some 263's in to have a bit of a random sleeper, I'm sure I'll get over that obsession soon though :cuckoo:

ok, so you reckon that i wont get any more than 15bhp with 268's and a re map then?

My engine is not stock, the head is largely ported, polished, and port matched. Also, the bottom end is all new, brand new pistons, rings, bearings etc, and fresh re bore etc. Is still 2.9 (used 2.8 block and re bored to take 2.9 pistons)

The whole lot is also lightened, balanced etc.

Also will be fitting a 6 branch, and de cat to go with my cat back Miltek.

What kinda power would i be likely to be seeing, and are the 263's still better for my application??

the 263s are fantastic. they have a fair fanbase on here :D

they mirror the standard cam delivery profile (torque & power) just with more of both - from early revs right through to the limit. (see Vornwends graph) Add to this the smooth (as std) idle & you have the perfect cam for the VR.

There is lots of info on these so if search away "263 group buy" etc.

I was one of the 1st people I know of to have these in my VR (otherwise stock) they produced a very healthy increase from 192bhp to 221bhp (best run) :clap: All this with a paper filter too :D

Rixy - Im sure they would work well with the work you have already had done & plan to do :D

ok, so you reckon that i wont get any more than 15bhp with 268's and a re map then?

15hp is what stealth usually see with those. Perhaps a few more ponies now that 99 RON fuel is widely available.

My engine is not stock, the head is largely ported, polished, and port matched. Also, the bottom end is all new, brand new pistons, rings, bearings etc, and fresh re bore etc. Is still 2.9 (used 2.8 block and re bored to take 2.9 pistons)

The whole lot is also lightened, balanced etc.

Also will be fitting a 6 branch, and de cat to go with my cat back Miltek.

What kinda power would i be likely to be seeing, and are the 263's still better for my application??

Porting and polishing doesn't do much on it's own. Valve size and making sure all 12 ports flow the same is where the real head gains come from, but you might free off a few hp.

It's hard to say how power you'll get from your mods as no two engines behave the same way, but if you get the same as VAG_HAG's 220 hp, you're doing well.

I have a lot of scepticism for those 263 power gains results, and let me explain why - the headline figure of 26bhp gain by fitting just the 263’s is all well and good, and indeed proven on a set of rollers, but the scientific comparison isn’t quite there in my opinion. The headline figure gains are only applicable when you are only changing one variable at a time – so the question is, was the prior engine output figure of circa 190 from a standard ecu map or one that had been previously optimised? (I am leaving out the other part of the discussion, regarding torque curves and area under the graph)

The same obviously applies to the 268 cams. If I had a set of 263’s available, I would be able to test these out on my own engine, power run with a mapped 268 setup, and then again with a mapped 263 setup, but as I don’t, I can’t, pity!

I’m sure that I have asked this question before, but there was no answer to my recollection, be nice to see some concrete answers

i just bought some 263s and if i feel like spending £300 later in the year to get them fitted and mapped then i'll have a comparison of mapped 268s and 263s on the same engine.

i just bought some 263s and if i feel like spending £300 later in the year to get them fitted and mapped then i'll have a comparison of mapped 268s and 263s on the same engine.

so do you have 268's fitted at the moment?? what are they like? lumpy idle? even power throughout?? what power have you got?? i know the vr is not about power, its about torque etc....but i can honestly say my car is a hellof a lot faster after its rebuild than it was prior. so im hoping for good results with cams etc.