dub vr6

vr6 cams

hi

with all this talk of remaps and cams ive got some kent 264 regrinds fitted (still got vw part numbers) does anybody know how similar they are to these 263's if at all, and is it worth changing? i didnt want to make my engine too "peaky" with 268's as my rev limit is standard with no remap i didnt see the point! also on the subject of remaps i thought motronic had adaptive circuitry which may remove the need to remap with light mods! i know after thrashing around curby my car seems faster on the drive home and gets gradually quicker through the day! also it doesnt drive very well for a week or so after taking the battery off! obviously a proper remap is a permanent solution to the constant thrashing!

cheers

andy

I've an Mk3 Golf VR6 OBD2 60k miles which was rolled at 189bhp and 186lbs 2 months ago which currently only has an induction kit on. I did the groupbuy on the 263's have fitted them myself, tomorrow im seeing Vince at stealth to get a remap and I'll post the differance on here tomorrow afternoon. At least then pepole can see what a differance a stock car to a mapped 263 cam'd car can put out.

I've an Mk3 Golf VR6 OBD2 60k miles which was rolled at 189bhp and 186lbs 2 months ago which currently only has an induction kit on. I did the groupbuy on the 263's have fitted them myself, tomorrow im seeing Vince at stealth to get a remap and I'll post the differance on here tomorrow afternoon. At least then pepole can see what a differance a stock car to a mapped 263 cam'd car can put out.

Awesome look fwd to finding out how you get on.

Shame you were not booked into Stealth Fri as I was planning on going over to get everything priced up.

Matt

Well all's done, and thanks to Vince and staff at stealth. Im now putting out 205bhp and 196lbs. An increase of 16 pony's and 10ish lbs. Should have done more but Vince could'nt figure out why as he was hoping for 210, but i do have a tempremental throttle body so he's put it down to possibly being that. All in all though its sooooo much more smoother and you really can feel the differance. It seems to pull all the way through now. A very pleased VR6 owner. :clap:

My OBD II 2.8 did 216.9bhp and 192 lb/ft @ Stealth in the Summer with a C2 UK NA chip, and those cr@ppy Dougherty racing 268s :clap:

Well, these two sets of numbers are on the same rollers...probably as close a comparison as we are likely to get for a while.

GVK -

2.8 bottom end

C2 UK Chip

DR 268's

Any other mods?

RYSTA -

SP 263's

Stealth Chip

Any other mods?

Any chance of graphs chaps and detils of any further mods?

also on the subject of remaps i thought motronic had adaptive circuitry which may remove the need to remap with light mods!

They do learn some changes, like air filters etc, but cams are a big change for the ECU, the basic load/fueling is set by the map, and the ecu can't deviate enough from that to compensate for the changes that cams have.

You can drive around with them with no remap, but there is a risk of the fueling being incorrect, and you'll never get the best out of them with the standard map.

Well, these two sets of numbers are on the same rollers...probably as close a comparison as we are likely to get for a while.

GVK -

2.8 bottom end

C2 UK Chip

DR 268's

Any other mods?

RYSTA -

SP 263's

Stealth Chip

Any other mods?

Any chance of graphs chaps and detils of any further mods?

Neal...

0BD II 2.8

DRC 268s

Carbonio CAI

eBay 6 branch

mk4 HG

Unorthodox racing alloy flywheel

C2 UK NA software

216.9bhp @ 6189rpm (118mph in 4th gear)

192.2 lb/ft @ 5297rpm

You tube vid of power run -

Power graph

Torque graph

Summary details

Sorry they are scanned, I used to have the Dynoplot software and always get the files from Vince back in the '16v' days.

What 'data' are you after?

I found VAG-HAG's plots on my office computer. Standard Corrado VR6 + 263s + Stealth Remap.

I would suggest the initial peak is from some positive harmonics in the inlet tract and the flat part just to the right is what would be the regular peak torque. No issues with this part, it's the 45 degree drop off between 5.5 and 6k that means these engines make no power in NA guise. I hope this is a flow issue as this can be increased, rather than an issue with combustion or something else!!

What 'data' are you after?

I found VAG-HAG's plots on my office computer. Standard Corrado VR6 + 263s + Stealth Remap.

That really is quite impressive, nearly 30hp gain. Can anyone clarify the cost of a stealth remap, roughly?

These are the quoted prices I got from Vince a couple of weeks ago.

Stealth Remaps are £275 + vat, if your original chip is soldered in, or £250 + vat if it is the socketed type.

Planning for my baby to go to Stealth in May for the fitting of chains, a clutch, 263 cams, a six branch manifold and a remap.

Before she goes I will also be fitting a big bore throttle body and replacing my RamAir filer with a BMC CDA.

Should be interesting to see the before and after plats and will post up results when she comes back.

James

That really is quite impressive, nearly 30hp gain. Can anyone clarify the cost of a stealth remap, roughly?

I was about to say VAG-HAG's is the exception, rather than the rule with these 263s, but I just read Vornwend got similar gains! VAG-HAG's torque is impressive. You don't normally get over 200lb from a stock engine with such basic mods!

I was about to say VAG-HAG's is the exception, rather than the rule with these 263s, but I just read Vornwend got similar gains! VAG-HAG's torque is impressive. You don't normally get over 200lb from a stock engine with such basic mods!

I almost got over 200 torque (199.9) but I started 3.5 behind VAG HAG so both of us got almost exactly the same torque increase.

To add to the picture, with nominal 6 psi boost + Schrick mine gained 23 lb.ft and 37.4 bhp.

BTW - I'm planning at some stage to play with the Schrick switch setting from the default 4k - has anyone tried optimising a Schrick?

m becoming very interested in getting myself some 263s. So what is involved in fitting some 263s, inlet off, rocker cover off..... what else?

Anything to note in regards to ensuring timing is correct when new cams are fitted.

Sorry for the question, but this isnt something i've done before, saying that would it be better to get them fitted by a mechanic and how much £/hour would that be?

hi

im new at this so i need some help i just bought my self a vr6 but the american version did quite some changes on it but not yet any upgrades.

was wondering if it still applies the facts u guys were on about the cams 263 on the vr6 with the 2.8 l

i have some rattiling sound and as i was told its from my valves and i need to change my cams as well so i was hopeing to find some help here

i was thinking instated of getting new stock valves and cams might as well buy upgrades so if any one can help me out what should i buy in terms of valves cams and so on, as a start

hi

im new at this so i need some help i just bought my self a vr6 but the american version did quite some changes on it but not yet any upgrades.

was wondering if it still applies the facts u guys were on about the cams 263 on the vr6 with the 2.8 l

i have some rattiling sound and as i was told its from my valves and i need to change my cams as well so i was hopeing to find some help here

i was thinking instated of getting new stock valves and cams might as well buy upgrades so if any one can help me out what should i buy in terms of valves cams and so on, as a start

Someone more knowledgable could answer your question fully, but unless youre upgrading i cant see why you would replace the cams :confused4:

The rattling will more likely be the chains, how many miles has the car done?

WOW JUST READ THE WHOLE THREAD, im so confused now i dont even know my name!! :nuts:

low middle top end torque? revvier? lumpy?

can some one copy paste the ans please....

263's will give you......

268's will give you......

cheers

WOW JUST READ THE WHOLE THREAD, im so confused now i dont even know my name!!

low middle top end torque? revvier? lumpy?

can some one copy paste the ans please....

263's will give you......A massive smile on your face

268's will give you......A bigger hole in your pocket