Sign in to follow this  
Adz The Rat

Crank Sensor Failing

I have replaced my crank sensor twice in the past year and today my car has cut out again and wont start. Im betting it will do in the morning and again the AA said its 99% the crank sensor.

Now a sensor shouldnt fail 3 times in a year so what is going on?

Is there something else that could be causing this?

Please help me as its driving me mad!!!!

Car is a 95 VR6.

I have replaced my crank sensor twice in the past year and today my car has cut out again and wont start. Im betting it will do in the morning and again the AA said its 99% the crank sensor.

Now a sensor shouldnt fail 3 times in a year so what is going on?

Is there something else that could be causing this?

Please help me as its driving me mad!!!!

Car is a 95 VR6.

The other problem with the crank sensor is that is will report a fail when the engine is not running (even if it works) and will prevent the engine starting if it doesn't work; a bit of a catch 22 thanks to a lack of decent software coding.

You must like punishment.

Use the search, we've discussed this at great length. Long+short answer is that it's very difficult to diagnose a failed crank sensor, and certainly you can't diagnose it when the car is not running.. you need an oscilloscope, basically. I suspect you have another problem.

On the upside, you now have two spare crank sensors you can sell!

Well today its been looked at by a guy we use for diagnostic / electric stuff and Ive also spoke to someone at Stealth.

They have both suggested the same thing so in the morning Im replacing the fuel pump relay and main ecu relay, hopefully this will cure it.

Will see how it goes.

Well today its been looked at by a guy we use for diagnostic / electric stuff and Ive also spoke to someone at Stealth.

They have both suggested the same thing so in the morning Im replacing the fuel pump relay and main ecu relay, hopefully this will cure it.

Will see how it goes.

I was going to suggest just that - the ecu relay 109 and the fuel pump relay 167. 109 is a poor culprit - such a critical items can cause no end of expensive grief, which is why its best to rule it out early on, which i didnt :cuckoo:

Got the relays, genuine VW ones too :notworthy:

Are they easy to get to? Under the drivers side near the footwell I think someone said?

My Bentley manual isnt here so cant check in that

They're hidden behind the shelves underneath the drivers side of the dashboard. 2 minutes to get at them!