Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Best way to improve the handling without changing suspension

I want to keep my Storm looking standard because it has only recently had a complete suspension overhaul using geniune VW parts. I want to know what I can do to improve the handling whilst still making it look standard. Uprated anti-roll bars? Strut braces? etc.. I want to get the best out of it with the possibility of getting coilovers in the future.

Uprated rear anti-roll bar, in some ways I wish I had just tried that before lowering and stiffening mine.

Yep, another vote for an uprated anti-roll bar at the back, really sharpened up the steering on mine and well worth doing imo. Rear axle bushes if they've not been changed from new.

tyres

tyre pressures

alignment and camber

all rubber mountings/bushes including engine mounts

steering column (fixed column gives far better feel)

renew all the running gear components like track rods/ends ball joints, bearings

It looks like most people think an uprated anti-roll bar is the way forward. Would it be worth getting strut braces aswell? The rear axle bushes have already been done as well as getting laser aligned. The one critism I have about it is seems to tramline a lot. That's something I don't understand because it's running on standard wheels and suspension :scratch:

toyo r888 tyres !! :D

anti rollbars if your not changing the shocks and springs

As someone who runs R888s on a daily basis I'd venture that fitting R88s without also modifying the suspension accordingly could potentially make a VR6 almost dangerous. You really need to run much higher spring rates or the additional grip will just compress the springs beyond where they should operate.

Fitting coilovers is still an option for the OP who wants to retain the standard look of his car though - you just set the ride height up where you want it & you'll still get most of the benefits, albeit without the improvements of having a lower centre of gravity.

John

Have you already done all the bushes/track rod ends etc etc? Replacing them with new ones will make more of a difference than an anti-roll bar, I'm sure.

I'm considering a rear ARB to reduce roll and get the front end turning in quicker. Probably go for a mild Neuspeed item. I have all new (2 year old) suspension and bushes all round laser alined with eagle F1'a but would just like a little more balance in corners and less roll.

It looks like most people think an uprated anti-roll bar is the way forward.

A stronger rear bar will improve your turn-in at the expense of greater lift-off oversteer

Would it be worth getting strut braces aswell?

On a C with stock suspension I don't think you'd need em, others may disagree.

The rear axle bushes have already been done as well as getting laser aligned.

Aligned to what spec though... It's very well getting it aligned BUT 90% of the places can't work the kit, 9% Don't set it to the right spec's (or set it generically within the envelope) leaving 1% that a) know their kit. And b) know how to set a VR6 up!

The one critism I have about it is seems to tramline a lot

Which seems to suggest that the "laser alignment" is wrong, do you know what settings they used?

What tyres are you running? (the difference between "budget" and "excellent" is not just £££)

What tyre pressures are you running? (has a big effect)

Shame you kept the stock VR dampers, they were/are built to a budget, a small one...

You have replaced ALL the rubber parts in the suspension, right?

Cheers

Simon

Another big vote for ARBs. I had Eibach ones fitted to mine long before I changed the standard suspension, and they make a tremendous difference, whilst still retaining the nice and comfortable standard ride. Defo uprate them.

I would not bother with braces until you have really stiffened the suspension up (ie fitted coilovers and lowered it). I recently enquired at The Phirm about strut braces and it was mentioned to me that fitting a lower front strut brace is more effective than fitting an upper. Note I have no front strut braces fitted currently. HTH.