Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

TIMING CHAINS

Is it possible to change the top tennisioners and pads ect on a vr6 without haveing to change the whole chains thinking about replaceing them but cant really afford to replace the whole chains it has a 145k on it,any advice appreciated.cheers

Yes you can. But you will need to remove the gearbox etc to do it. The top chain stretches a fair bit too. I personally wouldn't go to all the faff or expense of taking it apart just to do one guide, one tensioner pad and the tensioner bolt.

yeah i agrre might as well do the whole lot while you at it really another good guide on this fourm in the wiki and also vr6 owners club forum has a decent one

cheers

Mart

Are you sure you have to pull the gear box?........I think the guide states that one can do the upper chain without taking off the gearbox, I might remember wrong though....;)

Nope, Gearbox has to come off.

You can change the upper guide with everything still in place, but usually the tensioner pad needs changing too.

Parts are around £200 IIRC and labour prob bout the same but would depend on how much ur mechanic charges per hour

Cheers guys, how much roughly would i be expecting to pay for all the the work?

You may as well do the clutch as well.

Expect to pay between £750 and £1k depending where you take it.

If you are considering doing it yourself all the parts just cost me £500 inc a new slave cylinder.

Matt

Matt does that price included clutch as well? were they Vag parts or pattern? sure when i priced up doin the chains and tensioners it was around the £200 mark, not from vag mind

Matt does that price included clutch as well? were they Vag parts or pattern? sure when i priced up doin the chains and tensioners it was around the £200 mark, not from vag mind

Hi mate all VAG parts.

That did include clutch and slave cylinder. Figured as my clutch has lasted 85,000 miles 14 years and still going. I would replace it and the chains and give me another 14 years peace of mind :grin: Worth noting my chains showed no sign of wear and the guides and tensioners had very little damage either! Oh well :bonk:

I paid £355 for clutch parts (inc slave cylinder), crankshaft oil seal and some chain parts from VAG inc 20% discount. I then paid £50 off ebay for both chains and two tensioners. Then there was gearbox oil and engine oil £50. Rocker cover £12 and anti freeze £8. Then you have circa £400-500 labour....

(JonVR6's list plus couple of my extras)

TIMING CHAINS

(lower chain)

1 x lower timing chain - simplex 021 109 465B

1 x lower timing chain tensioner 021 109 467

2 x bolts, lower timing chain tensioner N905 350 01

1 x lower timing chain guide rail 021 109 469

1 x lower pin 021 109 471

(upper chain)

1 x upper timing chain - duplex 021 109 503A

1 x upper pin 021 109 511

1 x Bolt, tensioner for Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 507B

1 x Tensioner, Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 509E

1 x mid pin 021 109 515A

1 x upper timing chain guide rail 021 109 513

1 x hex bolt N010 272 4

1 x hex bolt N010 352 10

CLUTCH

Clutch clutch kit; p/plate, f/plate, release bearing 021 198 141AX

6 x 12 point head bolt N101 010 01

1 x Guide sleeve 02A 141 180A

1 x Oil seal 085 311 113

1 x Round seal N903 543 01

3 x spline socket head bolts N903 554 04

1 x clutch release arm 02J 141 719B

1 x Spring, clutch release arm retaining 012 141 741

1 x Ball Pin, clutch release arm pivot pin 02A 141 777

1 x Grease for clutch plate G 000 100

OTHER

1 x Slave Cylinder 357721261A

1 x Crank shaft Oil Seal

I've just had my chains and clutch done a couple of weeks ago, you'll pay £187 for the chain parts, and £195 for the clutch bits (inc VAT) (not including slave cylinder). All VW parts. @ 100k miles my chains/tensioners/pads showed next to no wear however, my clutch was nearly on rivets and had a hair line fractures. Make sure you talk nicely to the parts man and ask for discount - I got all the parts for £345 all in. VW VR6 clutches are on exchange only basis, not that you were planning to keep the old one :lol: . You might be able to save a couple of quid on a non-gen clutch but its not worth it in the scheme of things. As already said, the job is about 8-10 hours, depending where you go. On my members thread I listed the parts needed if it helps (with quantity and price ex vat & discount).

Hassan (fla) on here had one break due to a siezed camshaft bearing brought about by oil starvation. Usual failure mode is a worn out tensioner leading to the top chain jumping off the sprockets. Either of these tends to be disastrous.

Best wishes

RB

yea it can, but I think it mostly caused by the tentioners being bad, making the chain come a bit more "loose" and then snap because of that.....:)