Sign in to follow this  
CORRADO4LIFE

Stiff Gear Shifting!

Stiff Gear Shifting!

Just want to ask if it’s just me or could there be a problem. My gear shifting seems to be a little stiffer and less easy to engage gears than it use to be. Before it seemed very light, effortless and very fluid to change between the gears. Could this (stiffness and no punts!) be ware, or maybe gearbox fluid required and if so how do I know it’s running low? My clutch is sticking half way up and I have to pull the pedal up with the front of my foot! Apparently this is a common problem with the slave cylinder on Passats, could this be causing the stiffness? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

could be the oil (though im not sure it would affect the clutch).

its easy to change (no point topping up just change the lot IMO as its only 1.5-2 litres of oil and only costs about £10)

there are 2 plugs on the gear box (you have to get to them from underneath the car) one is a drain plug and the other is a top up / level plug. On my VR6 they were both 17mm alan keys to undo them.

undo the drain plug and drain the oil out into a container (you'll need to lower the car again to get it all out (presuming you have just jeacked the front up) then do the drain plug up.

to fill it up its easiest to use a hose of some type and a funnel, feed the hose down the front of the engine bay and put the end into the top up hole on the gear box, then pour the oil into the funnel/hose at the top (again making sure the car is on the level ) when the oil starts to come out of the hole, its full. remove the hose and wait till the dripping oil stops. you can then jack the car back up so you can put the bot back in

The problem you are having is almost certainly a hydrolic problem, as your clutch is not returning fully, it may also be biting lower and causing the gearchanges to be more difficult, most probably a leaky slave or master cylinder, the slave will leak internally at first, keep an eye on the fluid level and look for fluid ontop of the gearbox - get it sorted asap, it WILL get worse!

You could just find the gearbox cable needs adjustment. There is also a plastic component in the gear cable system which wears out quickly- mine is getting sorted at the next service. Doesn't explain the clutch problem though (its not getting caught on the floor mats is it? sounds daft but it happened to me on my last car..

Cheers

I have the same problem and it has come down to the recent cold weather as the gearbox is thicker because of it.... once am moving the gearbox lightens up and fluid gear changes not a problem.

Changing the gbox oil makes a heck of a difference though....

I'd say the slave cylinder needs replacing, cheap and easy job. No loss of fluid really. Maximum 30 minute job with the right tools.

As a short term fix you could try bleeding the slave cylinder. Chances are the fluid in there, is the same as when the car was built. Brake fluid absorbs water and this can cause corrosion in all ferrous based brake components. The main reason for replacing brake fluid on a bi-annual basis.

The water can severely affect the fluids ability to handle heat. The water boils before the fluid and gives you a dead, spongy pedal after you have used the brakes hard a couple of times.

I have replaced a couple of slave cylinders on Corrados and Passats in the last year.

Could also be the linkages at the gearbox need a bit of a lube. I had shifting problems with my Golf earlier this year. Some spray grease fixed it in the time it took to lift the bonnet. Mine were all brown and rusty looking.

Gavin

Could also be the linkages at the gearbox need a bit of a lube. I had shifting problems with my Golf earlier this year. Some spray grease fixed it in the time it took to lift the bonnet. Mine were all brown and rusty looking.

Gavin

This *really* does help. My shift quality was deteriotating too. Turns out all the road salt and other winter associated crud gums up the cable mechanisms on the box. I literally soaked the whole area with WD40 and the shift quality improved instantly.

Prolly a good idea to apply WD40 on the box and engine periodically over winter. Can easily be washed off again in the spring, ready for Summer S & S.

K

Gavin

This *really* does help. My shift quality was deteriotating too. Turns out all the road salt and other winter associated crud gums up the cable mechanisms on the box. I literally soaked the whole area with WD40 and the shift quality improved instantly.

Prolly a good idea to apply WD40 on the box and engine periodically over winter. Can easily be washed off again in the spring, ready for Summer S & S.

K

Cheers guys i will arm myself tomorrow with a can of wd and see if this helps! I'm gonna book her in with Dubsport i think for a full service and get those little niggily things sorted out.

i had a similar problem and thought my gearbox / clutch was knackered. but somewhere on this forum there was a mention of a circlip missing from the selecter shaft and its dead easy to check.

pull up the gearshif gaiter from the base, it just unclips, then looking down on the stick, on the passenger side there is a horizontal shaft running right to left,(its a circular bar). at its furthest point left there should be a goldy colour circlip fixing the horizontal bar to some gubbins. i found mine had just broken and fallen onto the shelf below.

worked on mine anyway but i still need a new clutch!!!

The problem you are having is almost certainly a hydrolic problem, as your clutch is not returning fully, it may also be biting lower and causing the gearchanges to be more difficult, most probably a leaky slave or master cylinder, the slave will leak internally at first, keep an eye on the fluid level and look for fluid ontop of the gearbox - get it sorted asap, it WILL get worse!

exactly what I was about to say.

It could also be temp-related.

Mine feels much more notchy in temperatures significantly less than 5 degrees.

Of course that could just be cos mine is knackered too, but it's really nice and smooth when it's warm, so I'm inclined to think it's just it doesn't like the cold...

hey

before my clutch slave cylinder went my light for my handbrake was intermitantely flashing on and off

next day got into my car and the clutch pedal just stayed on the floor

topped up my brake fluid (as they work from the same reservoir-as understand it!! (1.8 16v))and pumped the pedal up and down for ages

finally sprung back up on its own and drove me 150 miles home

sound pretty similar?

when i removed the slave cylinder the rubber was perished and after replacing i`ve had no problems!! (touch wood)!!

Guys,

I have the exact same problem as well + sometimes it is a nightmare trying to get it out of reverse ( sometimes i almost have to use two hands on the "stick" :x )

+ when its cold half way through a gearchange it feels sort of loose and then suddenly stiff and i have to have completely at a stand still to get it into first - it's been like this for as long as i have had it- i replaced the brocken golf circip under the centre console- does mine sound like i have the slave cylinder problem to??

I spoke to GSF today and they qouted me £37.50 for a new slave cylinder does this sound right? and they said the part was the same ofr right across the Corrado engine range???? is this correct ???

I have also noticed that on the linkage on top of the box the C shaped bit that has got a bolt going through it has got alot of play in it but VW cant help me as they orderd what they though the part was and gave me something that was totaly different :x

ANy onw no what the part no is im talking about it think it a s rubber/plastic bush about 6cm long that goes round the bolt???

Please help as i really dont like driving the car at them moment which is a shame.....

Forgot to metion to there is also fluid on the to of the box....

Help!!!!

Def the slave cylinder then, just buy it from VW, genuine part and only £28 with partsclub (if you are CCGB member) - part is the same as mk3 glofs also.

- sounds like the linkage also needs tightening, but change the slave asap and keep an eye on your fluid until its done,

may also improve reverse if you remove the carpet mat if you have to drive the car and I would carry some spare fluid around also

Hmm, interesting. I've had similiar things since got the car nearly five years ago. VW told me needed a new clutch, which i didn't bother doing, saving £300 + ! It's always been a bit jolty going in to reverse, which i get around by going in to 2nd initially, then it goes in to reverse more easily.

However, recently, when the car and the weather are cold can be a sod to get in to first gear to move off after starting. After several tries eventually it goes in to first, and then gear changes are all fine - strange! Also, if driving along I come to a stop, a few seconds later feel a kind of mild 'jolt' through the clutch pedal. First time it happened thought the car behind had just lightly touched my bumper- odd! Any ideas please....

Also it sounds like your linkage cables need re-setting as they are slightly too far out of adjustment. Not difficult / expensive to sort out either, also think about getting the gearbox oil changed, as this often causes problems with 1st when cold... 8)

I have a similar problem...Its amazingly hard to get out of reverse, most of the geras take alot of wiggling to get into and out of especially first and reverse though.

Where exactly under the bonnet am I looking for fluid ~_^ im a newb, where is the gearbox? Anyone have a picture?

also think about getting the gearbox oil changed, as this often causes problems with 1st when cold... 8)

Absolutely. Providing your synchro rings aren't *too* worn, Redline MT90 will totally transform the shift quality of your box. Hard to believe a simple thing like that can make such a big difference, but it does. Best £30 you can throw the box imo....

K

Hmmm...

Trilidon, if all the gears are notchy and reverse is a complete pig to get out of, it suggests the gearshift cables need adjusting.

This assuming your clutch is fine and the engine and gearbox mounts are okay.

To free-up reverse, look at the gearshift cables at the gearbox end. The cable you want to adjust is the one that attaches closer to the engine. Mark where it's currently positioned, slacken off the bolt and move the end of the cable SLIGHTLY to the rear of the car. Retighten the bolt and test.

If 5th starts to get difficult to engage, you've gone too far.

Also - more generally, if your C was made before Nov 1991, it will have the early-style cable shift arrangement on the gearbox end.

Fitting the counterweight from the later version to an earlier car makes a HUUUUGE difference to the quality of the shift.

Either find an early 1990s Passat in a breakers and take the counterweight and mounting off that, or buy it direct from VW.

Worth every penny...