davidwort

rear brake caliper wind back tool Q

need to do the rear disk/pads/bearings this weekend for the MOT

Is this brake caliper wind back tool worth getting? - will it do the job?

halfrods jobby

only 20 quid and I need to pick one up ASAP so mail order isn't an option

take brake reservoir cap off/loosen bleed nipple... insert jack handle in caliper and twist. a bit rough arse but does the job.

Yeah the laser jobber is fine for the job.

Should be a bit off with the trade card too.

ta muchly, I've done it a few times with crow bars and pliers into piston notches, just wanted an easy life this time LOL.

same windback tool as I've got and I've lost count of how many calipers I've done with it now... Great cheap bit of kit... 8)

tried winding back my rear calipers but I wasn't able to ensure the tool didn't keep dropping off the caliper - not sure where that plate goes...

Also, the seal seems to get twisted with the caliper meaning after every few turns I stop and 'untwist' it. Something not quite right there.

Oh and it takes ages to go about 5mm and its really quite hard to wind back - I was using a ratchet spanner, so again something I'm not doing quite right? Removed the handbrake cable as well as the reservoir cap.

Yeah, same tool I have and works perfectly.

Might be tight if the brake bias valve to the back is shut (most likely will be if the rear is jacked up). Try clamping it open.

I've wound back calipers using various pikey methods until I bought the proper tool, for the price of it you really can't go wrong tbh

I'd always used a set of circlip pliers and some brute force previously, but the last time I did it on the Corrado it just wasn't happening! I had to borrow a windback tool from a forum member (very kind of him to offer) and it worked a treat! There is a recess for the plate in the tool itself, and it sits against the inside of the outer part of the caliper if that makes much sense. It basically sits where the outer pad would go. You need to take up all the slack so its forced against the caliper, then when you turn it'll stay in place. It still needed quite a lot of force, but that's good thinking about the bias valve. I didn't know about that but it worked in the end.

I'd always used a set of circlip pliers and some brute force previously, but the last time I did it on the Corrado it just wasn't happening! I had to borrow a windback tool from a forum member (very kind of him to offer) and it worked a treat! There is a recess for the plate in the tool itself, and it sits against the inside of the outer part of the caliper if that makes much sense. It basically sits where the outer pad would go. You need to take up all the slack so its forced against the caliper, then when you turn it'll stay in place. It still needed quite a lot of force, but that's good thinking about the bias valve. I didn't know about that but it worked in the end.

When I was a tight student I used a angle grinder disc key.

Thanks for that. Tigerfish how did you clamp the valve open? Did you loosen the centre bolt?

Thanks for that. Tigerfish how did you clamp the valve open? Did you loosen the centre bolt?

just doing mine at present.... I'm using a G clamp. some people tie wrap them but I've never had any sucess

Ok I always get the adjustment the wrong way round! So here we need to pull the arm down towards the body of the valve?