Sign in to follow this  
big ben

vr6 rotrex charger questions

hi guys

after hours of research and thinking about power haha, i have decided to go down the rotrex charger route. Im still unclear on what engine upgrades to carry out even after hours of looking... Im looking for over 300bhp from my VR...with maybe the option to increase as i go...

so do i go for the rotrex c30-94??? seen some kits in america from the website (kraftwerks and underdog), is this the best place to buy a kit??

what size pulley would i want???

what engine/head work shall i carry out to be safe???

i obviously want some cooling in there, is aquamist the way to go or charge cooler???

basically if anyone knows a lot about this and money was not a problem what would be your shopping list be if you had a standard VR...??? thats what i need, a shopping list haha!!!

sorry about all the questions, they have all probly been answered before so a link(s) would be fine...thanks!!!

Have you thought about Superbocharged ?

Yep, a turbo and a supercharger :D I wouldn't use a rotrex for that, the turbo will just bend the blades. Best off with a cheap old G Lader or an Eaton off a Jag.

Wouldn't be too difficult and there'd be no lag. Considering it myself on my next project.

no not thought about that at all!! i was thinking if i done everything right with a rotrex i should be able to get the power i want when i want...

it does sound interesting though....!!

If you want power to be increased easily, then I'd say a Turbo is more suitable, especially if you want some usable torque below 4000rpm.

I've got a full shopping list with prices in a spreadsheet if you want, it's on my home PC so can't get it up until later though.

I'm now very close so the list should be pretty much complete.

If I were you I'd just get one of the charger kits from Storm Developments, they are not perfect but as far as I know its all that's available.

And yes the C30-94 is good for 300bhp+, infact it's no good for less that 300bhp as you can't get a big enough pulley on.

I've got a full shopping list with prices in a spreadsheet if you want, it's on my home PC so can't get it up until later though.

I'm now very close so the list should be pretty much complete.

If I were you I'd just get one of the charger kits from Storm Developments, they are not perfect but as far as I know its all that's available.

And yes the C30-94 is good for 300bhp+, infact it's no good for less that 300bhp as you can't get a big enough pulley on.

that sounds perfect...

could you post/send me that please!! i have been looking at the storm kit and emailed them but have had no reply???

think i will stay away from a turbo... want a superchager i think!!

I had a Rotrex on mine last year and they are great superchargers if done properly, not as laggy as a Vortech. Make sure you get a C model not an old SP model which aren't very reliable. The C30-94 is good for up to 400bhp IIRC, 300bhp will be the minimum for it I'd imagine. I had a measly SP30-74 running 7psi and even with lowered compression mine was running 270bhp (with no cooling either, and no map just a variable resistor in the MAF signal line!).

I got my charger 2nd hand (which is why it went pop on me :censored:) but I got the rest of the kit (brackets, pullies, belts etc) from a company in Denmark called R-Techs which was cheaper than going to Storm! I'm not sure if they are still going though as their website (www.r-techs.dk) isn't working :scratch:.

Engine wise, if you are going over 300bhp then it need to be strong, check the timing chains (mine were fooked so I had to replace mine), if you haven't had the head gasket done then might be worth replacing with a metal spacer gasket to lower the compression slightly, and if you intend on going for more power in the future then use ARP non-stretch head and conrod bolts. With them installed the engine will be bomb proof and good for big power. Then you can start strapping a charger to it. Also worth noting if you are planning for over 300bhp then you may need to upgrade your clutch, my standard one held with 270bhp, but with over 300bhp you might need an uprated one like a Helix.

Also worth noting that with more power you will need better brakes, suspension etc! I had coilies, most bushes etc renewed and upgraded my brakes to 288mm ones off a late mk3 Golf VR6 (same as MK4 golfs as well I believe and same calipers as the 312's). The brakes were good enough for most the time with 270bhp, could have been better though when driving it hard.

Have a look through my thread and the Forced Induction VR6 thread and you will find most info you need to know!

thanks for the replys!! all sounds good to me!!

while replacing the "head gasket (spacer), timing chains, bigger injectors, put in arp conrods" should i replace anything else or should that cover it??? just a bit paranoid obviously!!

ahhh brakes, these poor things always get left until needed dont they haha, i will be doing these aswell dont worry about that, im still unsure on what im going to do though????

a c30-94 on a vr6 will go to about 500bhp :shock:

and the cheapest place to buy the charger is a company called TTS motorsport.

karl

hey karl, have they got a web site, number?? going to start getting all the bits and then see if a novice can fit all these things haha, i have decided to try and do all the work myself, going to be the biggest learning curve youve ever seen haha

hey karl, have they got a web site, number?? going to start getting all the bits and then see if a novice can fit all these things haha, i have decided to try and do all the work myself, going to be the biggest learning curve youve ever seen haha

Its what I was going to ask you actually, will be an interesting thread if you post it......good luck :thumbleft:

yeah i dont know nothing about engines and that to be perfectly honest, would struggle to do a service haha!! but i know i can do it myself if i put in the effort (which i will), just going to take a lot longer, but means more money for better parts :)

i will make a build thread i think, will help all the others like me out that dont know a lot... first things first though, the ultimate supercharger shopping list!!!

i will get the number later guys.

also it may be worth while asking rob if you could hire he's mounting bracket and get some made up.

yeah i dont know nothing about engines and that to be perfectly honest, would struggle to do a service haha!! but i know i can do it myself if i put in the effort (which i will), just going to take a lot longer, but means more money for better parts :)

i will make a build thread i think, will help all the others like me out that dont know a lot... first things first though, the ultimate supercharger shopping list!!!

I admire your attitude mate, hope your connection is good because your gonna be here alot in the future by the sounds of it :D

is that the bracket for the rotrex i take it karl??

yeah i think i will be on here asking the odd question, like where do i find the engine haha :D

thinking i might need to rent a lockup/garage to do all this, will be a lot easier... anyone know how much i would be looking at???

i dont mind buying new, but if there is a decent second hand one i would be interested... their saying storm develpments are real helpful, wish they would reply to me :? maybe i will ring them soon...

If you get a charger on its own I have pretty much EVERYTHING else you need to fit it ;) I could work out a price if you are interested? I still have the charger but I need to rebuild that so will just sell that separately when I get round to doing that I suppose.

As for doing it yourself, fitting the charger isn't that hard at all. Mine went pop when I was in the mountains in Italy during a road trip last year, not ideal! I managed to take it off and put the car back to standard in the hotel's small garage with limited tools and only part needed was the shorter serpentine belt!

how many miles has it all done? if its fairly low send me a price for it all including the charger if you want.. what bits are we talking about to?

Well I need to rebuild the charger and to be perfectly honest that aint gunna happen any time soon :lol:

The charger, I don't know the mileage, I bought it after being told it had only really been tested and then when up and running I drove a bit with it on and then went round Europe, so probs only 3k I done with it. I know now it had probably been used a bit more than was stated!

As for the rest of the kit that was all brand new so about 3k miles if that. I need to go through it so will do that this weekend and see if I have everything, clean it up and then I can give you a price, as at the min it's all sitting in a box in my garage the same place I put it the day I returned from Europe last year! Also there are a couple of bits still on my car like silicon pipes and the aircon pulley etc. I'm taking my engine out soon though to replace with the R32 so I will have all of this off. So it's not going to be fully available for perhaps a couple of weeks to be honest mate!

if you buy robs charger? give me a shout if you want a hand fitting it. won't take long as i have fitted 2 since helping fitting robs.

if you buy robs charger? give me a shout if you want a hand fitting it. won't take long as i have fitted 2 since helping fitting robs.

out of interest when you say 'wont take long', what sort of time scale are you talking about ?