Sign in to follow this  
big ben

vr6 rotrex charger questions

Oh and as for what's there:

- SP30-74 Rotrex Charger with 80mm pulley (not working)

- Mocal 16 row oil cooler and oil lines for Charger

- Charger bracket (and everything that comes with it including belt)

- Aircon pulley for car's without aircon (still on the car)

- Shed load of silicon and ally pipes to connect it all up (some still on the car)

- Forge diverter valve

- Storm's own rather large Fuel Regulator (to be used with standard injectors, or not needed if using larger injectors and map)

- Jetex cone air filter

- LC-1 wideband air fuel ratio lambda with guage (still on the car)

Think that's it? :scratch: It's pretty much everything bar injectors and a remap. Attached is how it looked like when all on the car 8)

yeah that looks nice!! well im still collecting my pennies but am very interested mate!! so what bhp do you think you were getting?? think i will start with something like what you got there, then i will upgrade everything and have a lil rebuild... be nice to just put on stage 1 first and see how i go..

how much would it cost to rebuild the rotrex charger, anyone know?? i would buy that to, as buying another rotrex kit will come with some of thaem bits anyway wouldnt it...??

thanks for the offer karl, might just take you up on that, im sure i can sort you out for your time if it did happen!!!

sounds good, thanks for the offer!! i live in bedfordshire near bedford by the way guys... dont know where you lot are, probly miles away knowing my luck haha

blimmey 4-5 hours, knew it wasnt difficult but didnt realise it was that quick......interesting !!

where abouts in the west midlands mate? your probly about hour and half away... will pay your petrol and that haha!!

Well I live in Kettering, used to live in Rushden so not that far from you at all!

You can't get my charger rebuilt as it is the older model so they won't do it, I asked everywhere! I just got offered a brand new one at almost half the cost in return for my old one. I was going to do that but didn't have the funds at the time so thought I'd give it a try rebuilding it myself as it's only the little bearings inside that have gone!

Like I said, mine was running 7psi, the engine compression was lowered, it had NO mapping just bigger injectors and a little trick resistor in the MAF signal line (thanks to CrazyDave for his help on that!) and when I took it to the rolling road day last year it was pushing out 270bhp and 235lb/ft which was pretty impressive. However it was pulling a lot of timing which was down to improper mapping and insufficient cooling! With a proper remap and water injection it would be spot on and would most likely produce closer to 300bhp.

blimmey 4-5 hours, knew it wasnt difficult but didnt realise it was that quick......interesting !!

That would be to physically fit the charger etc to the car, it would still need mapping afterwards (although CrazyDave's resistor trick would work temporarily)

herisites you've got weitecs havent you ? ......seen in other posts......do you think putting a supercharger on requires suspension upgrades or will standard be ok ?

herisites you've got weitecs havent you ? ......seen in other posts......do you think putting a supercharger on requires suspension upgrades or will standard be ok ?

I have yeah. It's not necessary, but imo it's best to prepare the car for more power so I renewed as much as possible. Coilovers aren't necessary unless you want a lower, better handling car which is what I wanted.

so can i get just the rotrex charger on its own somewhere?? would you say one of the aquamist set ups to cool it down??

should i get my head gasket (with spacer) and timing chains done first, with the arp bolts/conrods everyones on about??

dont worry about jacking the post mate, i would like to hear about these things as well to be fair!!

so can i get just the rotrex charger on its own somewhere?? would you say one of the aquamist set ups to cool it down??

I would probably steer clear of Aquamist as I heard the pump go on them fairly quickly. Now the exchange rate is a bit better have a look on http://www.spturboparts.com/, they have a water/methanol injection kit which would be much better and no doubt cheaper! Schimmel stuff is VERY well proven.

And yeah you can buy the charger's on their own.

should i get my head gasket (with spacer) and timing chains done first, with the arp bolts/conrods everyones on about??

I would, I didn't at first and when i first fitted my charger my head gasket started to go. Took it apart and the chain tensioners were fcuked, the gasket was days from blowing and my head was pitted quite badly!

thanks for all the info guys!! sounds like im going to be busy haha...

do you know where i could be a stand alone rotrex charger?? i think i will only buy a new one for peace of mind

is that the bracket for the rotrex i take it karl??

yeah i think i will be on here asking the odd question, like where do i find the engine haha :D

Have a word with Joni re bkts - he's recently hit & resolved all the probs with them.

i (think) they can also re-build the chargers so may be worthwhile asking if they can do Rob's charger.

I asked them if they would rebuild mine and they were the ones who offered me a new one for a discounted price. They're based not that far from me actually, in Silverstone.

heres the link to TTS, the guy you want to speak to is Richard, he's very very helpfull and they normally stock all the chargers and the very expensive traction oil you will need.

http://search.orange.co.uk/redirect?ug= ... Ftts.shtml

i (think) they can also re-build the chargers so may be worthwhile asking if they can do Rob's charger.

thanks mate, have sent them an email asking about them... maybe they will reply, no one else has??? silverstone is close to me to really...!!

With the bracket, i want the c30-94 unit, so is that the right bracket for it??? i have a mate who could make me one up at his work if i had one to show him/lend him...

Herisites, does all the kit, that you might have for sale, fit the new charger i want?? would it be worth me buying yours and trading it in, or would you like to find someone to rebuild it and sell it on??

is that the bracket for the rotrex i take it karl??

yeah i think i will be on here asking the odd question, like where do i find the engine haha :D

Have a word with Joni re bkts - he's recently hit & resolved all the probs with them.

The issue's I had were as follows:

Head need's a great chunk grinding out as you probably know.

The hole for the tensioner pulley was not quite in the right place.

One of the mounting holes was not quite in the right place.

The locating pin was a shade too long.

I also needed to cut a few screws down.

So the equipment you will require is:

Lathe.

Milling machine.

Grinder.

As long as it's a C30 model charger and not a bigger model like C34 then it will fit the bracket as they are all the same casing, just different internals.

I'll need to weigh up my options first mate see what the best thing to do is, I'd be happy to just get shot of it as quick as really as it's just been sat in the garage for so long. See what TTS say, tell them you have an SP30-74 which seized up (bearings gone) and are looking to upgrade to a C30-94 and see what they offer you.