I'm trying to find some top mounts for the front and rear suspension. Can anyone tell me if these here come in pairs?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_1.8_1991/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-mounting/?669440320&1&11a642d93aae5842027819a1cc0299834e7d5f7c&MTGK

Also if that is per mount then they seem expensive, ideas on getting good ones for less? tah!

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

I've been talking to a friend of mine who owns a garage. He has told me if i'm spending serious money on suspension then i relay should replace everything from track rod ends to wishbone rubbers and top mounts.

I'm on a slightly limited budget so was wondering what i actually need to fit any new coil-overs I buy! I know that my front top mounts are a little ****ed but what else do i have to replace to fit any coilovers i may buy?

I'm trying to find some top mounts for the front and rear suspension. Can anyone tell me if these here come in pairs?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_1.8_1991/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-mounting/?669440320&1&11a642d93aae5842027819a1cc0299834e7d5f7c&MTGK

Also if that is per mount then they seem expensive, ideas on getting good ones for less? tah!

Part listing says Twin Pack for axle repair :D

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

I've been talking to a friend of mine who owns a garage. He has told me if i'm spending serious money on suspension then i relay should replace everything from track rod ends to wishbone rubbers and top mounts.

I'm on a slightly limited budget so was wondering what i actually need to fit any new coil-overs I buy! I know that my front top mounts are a little ****ed but what else do i have to replace to fit any coilovers i may buy?

It's a fair point. I replaced everything on my front end, but then I've got VR6 gas shock suspension all around, so can't really help with the coilovers stuff. I think your matey is just trying to say that to get the best from the coilovers, then you should replace everything else so that you have no corroded / weaker parts if that makes sense.

Heck, most of my parts are pattern except for the dealer only bits and I think it only owes me maybe £400? That's a guesstimation though.

Alex, as you are on a budget then go for the Febi stuff, easily available through the VW spares site and not mega money either.

It won't last anywhere near as long as the genuine stuff and fitting lowered suspension tends to increase the loadings on all the suspension bushes so they will wear out faster but the Febi stuff does fit and is not mega bad/nasty.

Get some R32 bushes for the rear bush on the front wishbone as they track better, a decent garage will charge about £20-50 to swap the bushes over using your existing wishbones. I would also get some new bolts for the bits that look ropey and using the VR6 (and really late valvers) type of top mount is easier for the home mechanic to get tight.

Hi guys! Just so you know I decided to go a little nuts... Been spending money left right and centre! Not sure if i SHOULD be spending this much on a car that is technically worth less than £100 (according to "we buy any car.com"!) but I suppose I'm mad! The good news is that I think I now have everything I need to fix the problems mentioned on the MOT she failed 2 years ago. :cheers:

After Yan's and others advice I have just ordered the following:

2 x Mount Sleeves

2 x ARB Links

1 x Strut Top Mount Kit, Rear

2 x Strut Top Mounts

1 x Wishbone Bolt Kit

2 x 02818 Control Arms

2 x 02159 Threaded Bushes

Completely new wish bones and all rubber mounts. These all made by Febi

I'll have to make sure I have the new bolts for the suspension but otherwise I'm good to go I think! Next I've been and bought a new car cover...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47022[/ATTACH]

Yeah... the less said about that the better.

ANYWHO! I went to an erotic charity ball the other day... Want to see!?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47023[/ATTACH]

Great stuff....

But perhaps not as great as this that came this morning,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47024[/ATTACH]

If these had boobs I don't know what I would do! Very cheep too considering. Managed to talk KW out of the £700 listed price down too £600 delivered. :rolleyes:

no comment on the boobies? I'm shocked!

:lol:

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

not even a mod telling me to remove it? these are dark days indeed when a man can post a pair of naked COILOVERS without getting some sort of internet based response...

I have Been trying to look at your pics all day !

Have only just got enough signal to see them.

WOW the curves,how close they are packed together, and the boobies are not bad either ! lol

Those on the right are one my favourite types of boob - I like to think of it as a button boob.

boob.jpg

Suspension talk seems very boring now.

I dunno, I don't think so...

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I managed to look using my iPhone... Not like I'm doing anything else!!! 7hour drive gets boring after a while!

Anywho, they seem to still be available... €37 apparently and it doesn't look like it's g60 specific... May give my mate a nod who's braking an early 16v

I was going to say if you want a large one,ive got one as im going FMIC and just bought small one off ebay

Right... These are the parts that i have bought in the last few weeks...

• Fan cowl - 535121205A
  • 4 x m6 hexagon nut, shouldered - N 90175203
  • 4 x hexagon head panel screw - N 90310301
  • Plastic rad cover - 535121343B
  • 2 x Insert nut for cover - 811807577C
  • 2 x screw for cover - N 0139383
  • Metal clip for cover - 191121093C
  • sunroof grease - G 000 450 02
  • Sunroof gassket - 321877209A
  • Internal trim screws - N 902 412 03
  • door card screws - N 90157501
  • heater matrix -1H2819031A
  • Non stretch crank bolt - N 040 106 4 (VAG) & Washer - 068 105 193 A (VAG)
  • suspension bolt - N 10174002 & Nut - N 90323704
  • Fueltank straps - 1H0201654C
  • Retaining clip for tank straps - 191201661
  • 6 x tank strap bolts- N 01024222
  • Wishbones
  • Suspension bushes
  • Track rod arms
  • Mounts suspension
  • KW Variant 1 suspension
  • ASD Gear box
  • 2nd hand g60 radiator
  • sump gaskets
  • Stainless steel nuts & bolts (assorted marine grade)
  • Jubilee Clips (stainless steel)
  • Door speakers
  • Galvanized front cross member
  • Galvanized radiator support panel

And apart from the gear box i think this is all going to go on the car this weekend. After that I'm giving it to a garage to fix the break lines, bleed the brakes and do a full service.

Then MOT... :pale:

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

you don't want to do the brake lines yourself? I'm halfway through and they're not too bad.

I might change the brake pipe myself and get some fluid in the pipe but I'll leave it to a garage to bleed properly... I don't have a pressure bleeding kit and it's so much easier for a garage to do it.

Hi there folks!

been busy making sure I have all the nuts and bolts and bits and bobs I need to put my car back together! It's a bit of a challenge! I've been removing things in drips and drabs and I'm not 100% on how all the bits I've taken off go back on...:brickwall:

Oh well!

In other news, I've been spraying my font cross member and rad support panel with a little zinc primer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47136[/ATTACH] I'll be spraying the top coat on tonight. And I've a little surprise for you after it's done :o... wait till you see it.

I also got a parcel in the post that the misses took receipt of. This is either...

a) rust remover gel and crystals

b) Lambda sensor

c) stainless steel bolts

Hope I can get this all fitted this weekend!

Hi all,

This weekend I've been mostly ripping the poop out of my car, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, first things first I went over to Linlithgow, near edinburgh to pick up a bently manual off craigowl. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't hav got half as much done this weekend so thank you Iain! I was a great help. His car is MINT by the way, not seen such a well kept VR6 since i had a look over butterfly and Kips cars, It's a shame he's selling it but who ever buys it will be getting a very good example. :smug:

When i got back i sprayed my front cross member and rad panel to match my new coilovers.... you all ready?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47165[/ATTACH]

It didn't come out very in this image well but this is the same colour purple you get on KW's but my camera couldn't take it properly. They got a coat of 2k so no need to lacquer. It's a little loud and the primer I used didn't take to the galvanized surface very so it's flaked in a few places, but it sure does look good! :thumbleft:

That was Friday, on Saturday the hard work began in earnest...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47166[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47167[/ATTACH]

This was everything I had to get on the car. I had new wish bones, suspension and mounts, the cross member and rad panel, all new bolts, stainless steel clips and fuel tank straps...

Before I go on I'd like to thank a few folk. None of them our on this forum unfortunately but i'd still like to mention them. During the course of Saturday I had the help of neobadness (aka Ali) and his friend Robert. Without Ali's strong arm (proof of this can be seen bellow) and Roberts general knowledge I would have got stuck on more than one occasions so thank you both!!!

First thing to go was the old front cross member, rad panel and to jack the car up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47170[/ATTACH]

The front cross member was in ok condition but the rust made me want to change it. Would scrub up ok though so may clean it up for re-sale if anyone is interested (rubbers are in good nick too)

We then started on the wheels and tried to get the existing suspension off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47172[/ATTACH]

Has to resort to slightly "heath robinson" approach to the suspension removal! But we got it off.... Wanna see?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47173[/ATTACH]

Not good...

continued....

I then tried to remove the wishbones... on the drivers side everything went fine. Except one thing, in Ali's madness he tried to loosen the track rod ends and snapped a bolt. :bonk:

Still, we got it in and one of the new coil overs too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47174[/ATTACH]

you may have noticed something odd about the track rod ends but I'll come to that later...

The other side was not so good. This time Ali snapped the bolts that fix the wishbones to the hub. This meant the only way to now remove the wishbone was to try and remove the entire hub assembly.....

I Ali's exuberance (you may see a pattern forming here..) He took a breaker bar and a length of steel pipe for further leverage and did this to my socket extension.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47175[/ATTACH]

Yikes!

So after removing Ali from ratchet duty I had a go and after much cursing we finaly removed the hub bolt... They must have torqued it up to oblivion when it was last done!

Then it was just the tracking arm holding it in... But, however hard we hit it it wouldn't move. So I got angry and took the angle grinder to the arm....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47176[/ATTACH]

I tried to remove the disk as well but the carrier bolts are stuck too! :lol:

Now, Ali then very kindly donated his spare g60 hubs and carriers to my cause! so... seeing as he had snapped the track rod bolt on the drivers side i decided to cut that too!

And That's why there's half a loose tracking rod swinging about in that picture see! :rolleyes:

I then had to go to halfords to get a tap and die kit as the one Ali was given by Robert was an imperial set... :bonk:. I needed this to tap out the bolt holes in the rad panel as the galv had added a few mm to the thread. After this thou i got them fitted no trouble.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47177[/ATTACH]

I also cut a hole for the brake cooling duct as this isn't on the panel I got (from a 16v) and bolted my pass pipe to the new panel. This is how much i had to cut

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47178[/ATTACH]

Notice also the new front engine mount. :smug:

Anywho... Robert was in the mean time removing the rear interior lining so we could loosen off the rear suspension, which he did with no trouble at all.

This was basically Saturday gone by this point so Robert called it a day and after 7pm so did me and Ali. I did take a look under the car to check the power steering rack thou and surprise surprise the rack was leaking fluid... Looks like i would have had to swap it and the tracking rods out anyway!

:afro:

SUNDAY

Started at about 11am, was very tired from the day before. I took the tap and die kit back to halfords... I'm not paying £40 for a tap and die set, not when it's £28 from machine mart AND i have one over at my dads house.

Then i got stuck into the car, today I couldn't do much in the way of suspension as I want to wait till i have the subframe off to do the power steering rack, and for that i need and engine hoist. I instead amused myself with three things:

ONE: removing the old tank straps and replacing with the new ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47180[/ATTACH]

Much better, the old ones almost fell off by themselves! Except for the bolts that where stuck in there like glue. THANK GOD FOR IRWIN BOLT GRIPPERS! The new ones got sprayed with enough hamerite to sink a ship too so hopefully that should be them sorted for a few years!

TWO: Sort out wiring and battery tray. The tray itself is rusted through but i can't do anything about that just now. Ali said he would help me cut and weld a replacement for it in the future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47181[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47182[/ATTACH]

I cleaned the tray out, degreased it and then wrapped all the loose wire up in OEM fabric wrap used on more modern cars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47184[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47185[/ATTACH]

I then fitted my new external head light wiring loom. With IP rated enclosure. (they're just screwed to the wing next to the power steering reservoir)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47183[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47186[/ATTACH]

THREE: I then dropped the oil. Next time i work on the car I'll change the oil and filter (waiting on a shipment from OPIE oils) and change the sump gasket too, seeing as I have one spare! :o

I'm hoping that another weekend of this and I'll be ready to drop her back on her wheels.

I still have to fit the new PAS rack I have, fit the second hand hubs from Ali (thanks mate!), re fit the radiator and coolant hoses I have, re-fit the fan (hopefully with replacement cowling, fit rear suspension and find and fix a brake pipe leak (I may even go and get a new master cylinder, they're not expensive.

WISH ME LUCK! :cheers:

BTW, these are the things I took off the car over the weekend... :geek:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47188[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47191[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47192[/ATTACH]

Quite the collection of rusted crap hey...:p