Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

trickle chargers

Since I don't use my car very much - a trickle charger has become a necessity. I've found the below - but unsure of what types/sizes of trickle chargers are required for a VR:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=340

Has anyone bought one from somewhere - or found what works/doesn't work? I'd need one that connects via the cig lighter as the cars not garaged.

Cheers for any help!

Hi Leon,

This is the one that was redcommended to me by KipVW and I've been using it since last September - does a spot on job as far as I can tell and apparently "conditions" the battery as it goes.

I don't think there is a cigarette lighter option but it does have c 5metres of cable (2 from the box and 3 from the box to the terminal clips)

http://www.airflow-uk.com/shop_accessories_battery-charger.html

Vaughan

i bought an expensive one last year from Frost automotive,had three lights on it, so you knew what state your battery was in, forgot it was plugged in (battery in boot) and basically ruined it !

bought the next one from halfords ,two lights on it ! Just as good as the expensive one ! had it about 9 months now battery always good

please note car not corrado

The small solar chargers are only effective in direct, bright sunlight. I.e. for a few hours a day during the summer. They make no difference whatsoever to the discharge time on your battery between about september and april.. FWIW the Maplins ones won't drain the battery if they're unable to charge it, they just close their circuit off if there's not enough light.

Just to let you know - don't expect miracles (or much at all, really)!

http://www.airflow-uk.com/shop_accessor ... ioner.html

After reading about this one on a classic car forum, I have been using for about four years now.

Car is always raring to go and battery is 8-year old Quantum. However, the car is garaged.

If you can get a lead outside to your car from charger indoors or in garage, your flat/low battery probs will be over.

Thanks for the advice and help all.

Its not uncommon for my car to sit for 2 weeks between drives - so i really need something to keep the battery topped up. I was under the impression the solar chargers were best since I'm now sure how I could realistically have a lead from the car to indoors while i'm out - but surprised to hear that they're so poor at working.

I'll maybe invest in getting a power supply from the garage so the airflow product can be hooked up. Next question is - to those who garage their cars - do you leave the bonnet up or can teh leads easily be routed through say the grill?

@craigowl - are you a classic owner?

I normally put the bonnet down although not slammed shut. I think the wires are narrow enough to run out the bay beneath the bonnet and above the grill because the rubber seal if flexible enough to allow them through. Just tried poking a pencil through there with no real resistance so I don't think the wires would be a problem.

Got mine from halfords. RRP at about £25 but I paid just £8 with my trade discount card!

Power supply is just like a big mobile phone charger with one LED. Plug it in it lights up red. When full, LED changes to green and switches to 'monitor mode' supposedly allowing permanant hookup.

Again comes with long wire & I just drilled a hole through the wall of the lounge so I could keep the mains side of things indoors.

Other end had either croc clips or a fitment which is permanantly hooked to the battery. When being left I just dropped this down though the engine bay and hooled up to the charger.

Seems to work well. Only dons side is the haldords quick disconnect terminals aren't fully weather resistant. I'd not be looking to change the terminals to something a bit more winter proof!

On mine, bonnet is down.

Plug for lead I leave sticking out - will put up pic later.

Tuck plug away when using car.

My C is often left for 2 weeks or more. One of best things I have bought is trickle charger. No more cursing low battery! :clap:

Its not uncommon for my car to sit for 2 weeks between drives - so i really need something to keep the battery topped up. I was under the impression the solar chargers were best since I'm now sure how I could realistically have a lead from the car to indoors while i'm out - but surprised to hear that they're so poor at working.

I have the same problem. But look at the figures:

Output power: 1.5W @ 17.5V

Testing condition: AM=1.5,100mW/cm²

That "testing condition" is 100mW/cm² - this is about the peak sunlight intensity at noon, near the equator, in summer..

Unfortunately electrical power generation from photovoltaics is really not that efficient yet. Give it ten years and maybe that'll change (by which time you'll have had a number of unrecoverable batteries..).

For me, there is no "good" solution that doesn't involve wires. The portable jump starters are convenient (plug it in the cigarette lighter for fifteen minutes to charge your battery then go), but unless you're going to drive the car for an hour or two you'll just leave the battery low and you'll need to jump start it again next time. No good leaving the battery low because that's how sulphation happens.

So personally I just wind up taking the battery out of the car and charging it overnight every couple of months in the winter. Not the best, but probably more likely to keep the battery working longer than any of the alternatives.

And I should say that I do have a solar trickle charger and I'd guess it does help a little in the summer, but there's generally less drain on the electrics in the summer anyway, so I can't really say for sure either way tbh.

Good to see dr_mat coming in on this one. He and I, I believe, are of the opinion that the Corrado's talent for draining batteries has led to a large number of sound ones being binned and replacements bought.

My battery is a Quantum installed 27/6/02 and costing £60 from VAG.

Trickle charger photos include:

Unit in garage

Showing unit to battery cable - it is 4.2 metres long.

Connector at bonnet

Battery and wiring

That's a great help thanks

I'll definitely take your advice then on the solar chargers dr_mat thanks

craigowl cheers for the pics - do you not use clips on the terminals? Looks to be bolted down

I'll definitely take your advice then on the solar chargers dr_mat thanks

I bought one anyway, but just wanted to make it clear it won't help much! I often have to park > 10m from the front of the house so there's really no chance I can run wires anywhere and the solar charger is IT, the only choice I have.