Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Plastic behind number plate.

I was washing my car on Sunday, and I noticed the plastic that the rear number plate and boot lock is attached to has come away at one of the corners. I thought it should just push back on as a clip may have come loose. It doesn't. I think it has probably snapped. Does anyone know the cost of these and if it'll be easy to do, as I'm guessing the boot lock will have to come off as well?

Cheers.

I noticed mine had done this last week too!!!!!

I did the same, and tried to clip it back in place, but it wouldn't, its on the top right corner, near the lock

Mine are also loose, the plate has little plastic pegs on the top corners which protrude into the boot lid and have plastic nuts holding it all together; the bottom edges are held in by hook like protrusions. Problem is that the pegs are prone to breaking off. My dealer says the plates are still available at about £40 + VAT a time. I have not got around to getting any yet so haven't tried to strip the old one off the car - looks like its only the lock mechanism holding it on but don't know how much fun that will be to remove.

Anyone actually done it yet?

I replaced mine the other week when i got the car back from a respray.

The panel is held on at the bottom with padded double sided sticky tape. Even through my panel was new the not warped at all it seemed to bulge in places near the top. To correct this a bought some padded double sided tape (number plate tape from halfords) to supplement the other fixings. Looks fine now.

mines not losse, but it's a bit distorted in the same top right hand corner.

I'm going to have some carbon firbe ones made.

its on the top right corner, near the lock

Snap.

literally

So we have another "corrado, I mean, common problem". Mine's also coming away from the top right. Looks to me like the plastic panel goes around the lock and shouldn't require removal of the lock. I'm thinkin' Double sided sticky pads will sort mine out.

I'm going to have some carbon firbe ones made.

That'd look sweet, I'd be Very interested in one of those mate, let us know if and when you plan to do it.

Has anyone painted this panel?

Just curious what it looks like?

Oh yea, and my one is a bit knackered too!

I'm assuming if you remove this plastic cover, you'll get an exposed panel the same colour as the car? So why not just remove the panel alogether or are there some holes that'll need filling?

K

but wouldn't the lock stand miles out? or am I being stupid and missing the obvious?

['H3R4POR]but wouldn't the lock stand miles out? or am I being stupid and missing the obvious?

I was thinking that!!! :lol:

I'm assuming if you remove this plastic cover, you'll get an exposed panel the same colour as the car? So why not just remove the panel alogether or are there some holes that'll need filling?

K

Had a little peek behind (as the panel is coming off anyway) - it would take alot of filling and is not a smooth sheet of metal behind there anyway. Colour coding the panel might be an option but that doesn't address the problem here. :roll:

defo a common c problem i`ve seen a couple the same as that ( including mine )

i reckon a new one is the only answer!!??

Here is a pic of my C without number plate panel. It would require a lot of work and filler to smooth out that area and also lock would stick out looking strange

There should be a screw in each of the top corners , the plastic that they go into cracks and breaks away , hence loose and sticks out .

Just pull the plastic panel away from the boot slightly , squirt some sikaflex in there , hold it into position with maskin tape till set , hey presto !!

Mine was coming away in the top left corner when I bought my C.

As Woody suggests, I used some double sided "sticky fixers" to secure it.

Nearly 3 years on and they're still holding tight.

£40 for a new panel?? Suck it VW!!