Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

What useless pile of Crap has he bought now........

wow how many cars u got now?

i hope more get broken so value of the good ones will go up,o and i need a few bits :D

Umm Ok....My Nugget Rado, Beemer E30 325i, Fabia vRS, Audi 80 Sport, Beemer 735i (Was too cheap to say no...possible 3.5 engine into e30 :norty: :nuts: ), The Other Audi and Now this other Rado!!!

Thats 7 :help:

Guys, can we wait until he starts a thread advertising the bits please?

Anyone asking or PM'ing about parts based on this thread will be ... erm ... shot? Speyed? Given man cuddles by Toad? Whichever is least appealing to you, but I think we all have a general idea about which one it might be.

Can I also point out that in this hot weather, I've stopped wearing pants too.

You Still want the drivers Seat :grin:

Jim Believe me..it's not perfectly good...........

Maybe it would be better to post pics of the rot issues etc etc as most cars look pretty dam good in a general all inclusive pic.

Hell my 8v is gonna need welding soon.... but I'ld rather do that than break it and have to fork out for another one just as old.

(I think :shrug: )

Is that pants as in the UK meaning or US?

Not everyone has bags of money though, i have spent hundreds, even thousands on my car and parts from vw are totally overpriced and could be bought cheaper elsewhere for pretty much the same product so why not?

I buy as much genuine as i can but sometimes things are just too expensive to buy genuine when the likes of febi are pretty much exactly the same

They're not "pretty much the same product" though are they? Buy cheap, buy twice.

OE parts are nothing like the schitt you get in GSF. They are made to much higher standards. Just because company X may make something for VW, doesn't mean the same part in the wholesalers is the same quality. I've been victim of that for many years as a VW owner and I only buy genuine now.

agreed that some products are crap but there are some products that are just the exact same thing without vw's very own scene tax added. I would love to buy everything from VW but they are just total rip off merchants and you can clearly see it when you ask for a price for parts from ford. I bet more people order parts for a corrado then they do a galaxy so why the hike in price for corrado's?

I fear both.

I fear both.

Sounds like he will be on form for BVF then. Hope we dont get threatened with a ban again

...I only buy genuine now.

says the man with fewer VW bits on his Corrado than anyone else one the forum :lol:

- only joking, I know you're referring to bearings, joints, matrixes and the like.

I agree it's not a bad thing some old rados are being stripped of good bits and scrapped, some are getting serious rot in them, 20+ UK winters are taking their toll, I always feel a bit sad seing them broken though :(

"]

Can I also point out that in this hot weather, I've stopped wearing pants too

I am sure he means Pants as he is British !!!

At BVF - I hope Tom wears trousers and not shorts then !! :lol: :lol:

Could be very unsightly - I fear many late cancellations !!!!

says the man with fewer VW bits on his Corrado than anyone else one the forum :lol:

- only joking, I know you're referring to bearings, joints, matrixes and the like.

Yeah it passes resemblence to a Corrado :lol:

I know some VW parts are expensive but if you consider the originals lasted 15 years, it makes sense to me put the same part back on again. I've lost count of the times I've had to redo a job due to substandard pattern stuff!

I agree it's not a bad thing some old rados are being stripped of good bits and scrapped, some are getting serious rot in them, 20+ UK winters are taking their toll, I always feel a bit sad seing them broken though :(

Yep, I wonder how many Rado owners don't realise their rear quarters above the petrol tank are rotting away as we speak? From what I've seen so far, it appears to be a common rust area. I've treated 2 VR6s (A 95M and a 94L) recently, both badly rotted up there. And I saw why. A complete lack of under seal applied at the factory where the petrol flap locking pin passes through the double skin.

Anyway, let's not all get morbid on a Friday lunch time :D

thats worrying that they rust there, how did you cure this problem?? plushow do you find out if you have a rust issue there?

Its your car, do with it as you please. Breaking it only makes our ones rarer on the road.

As for the OEM part debate is it not that as soon as a company supplies a component to a car company then they can officially become an OEM supplier. They can then use this on any other product they sell for the car. I.e. Bosch make say the window wiper but they could also sell brake pads and say there OE even if the car never came with them?

Yep, I wonder how many Rado owners don't realise their rear quarters above the petrol tank are rotting away as we speak? From what I've seen so far, it appears to be a common rust area. I've treated 2 VR6s (A 95M and a 94L) recently, both badly rotted up there. And I saw why. A complete lack of under seal applied at the factory where the petrol flap locking pin passes through the double skin.

Anyway, let's not all get morbid on a Friday lunch time :D

Kev - I gave this area a damm good clean out last week and never spotted any rust but you've mentioned it twice since then so had to go out just now and double check! - relieved to say its rust free although , as you say, there does not appear to be much if any underseal in there.

Remove the petrol flap 'grommet' inside the petrol flap. Where the tank nozzle screws to the inner quarter panel it's starts to rot through :pale: Also where the locking pin goes.

Theres also a £2 coin grommet insider the arch where the underseal peels away and starts rusting. I've just bought a new 1/4 panel on eBay as eventually I'll need to replace the 1/4 panel (although this will be MANY years away)

Kev - I gave this area a damm good clean out last week and never spotted any rust but you've mentioned it twice since then so had to go out just now and double check! - relieved to say its rust free although , as you say, there does not appear to be much if any underseal in there.

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones then!

I just thought it was strange that 2 in a row both rotted in exactly the same areas. It's definitely worth pulling all the petrol flap locking gubbins and out and having a good poke up there! Seems to the the season for rust. It's been mentioned on the forum several times now. Poor old things are decaying!

It had started on mine there too, caught it in good time though it wasn't too bad.

:censored: he could part-ex-scrap it fora reasonably priced car like a Fiat500. See, it can get worse.

Hmm, kev, I remeber pulling out all the petrol cap gubbins around there and pulling out lots of crudd when I bought it; I remeber also keeping the drain hole fairly clean after that too. Is it worth getting the inner arches re-coated? Many modern cars have plastic covers now - sensible (think mine has like a carpet finish). Because bikes have no protective coatings, Im in the habbit of taking a look down under anyhow; some parts just seem to be prone to rust unless cleaned regular. Imagine if you had the time to stripdown everytime the car got dirty, ha.

will be checking mine for rust later... any other areas which seem common?? some rados seem rusty all over, some seem fine?? or is it just the white ones that look rusty :lol:

another poor corrado donor car, oh well, im sure you will sell all the bits VERY fast...

Hmm, kev, I remeber pulling out all the petrol cap gubbins around there and pulling out lots of crudd when I bought it;

Yep, all the petrol tank and C/L paraphernalia is real dirt trap. All the dirt I poked down from there (and I jet wash up there quite often!) filled a dustpan. When it's wet, it stays wet for eons, which encourages the rust to accelerate.

The nearside rear arch is often completely clear of road crap build ups.

Unfortunately, to aid getting the plastic nutserts and grommets in the shell at the factory, these areas are masked off before the underseal gets sprayed on, and therefore left exposed to the elements. The grommets and nutserts vibrate and rub off any electro-chemical plating the panel may have had.

Still, it has taken 10 to 15 years to get bad enough to do something about it, so not too bad really :D

Is it worth getting the inner arches re-coated? Many modern cars have plastic covers now - sensible (think mine has like a carpet finish)

The factory applied stuff is the best bar none, so I'd be reluctant to break that seal and put new stuff on to be honest. Obviously where the sealant has come away by all means cut it back to clean metal and reapply.

The fronts have plastic arch liners to protect the delicate single skin arches, but the rear arches are much tougher, so make do with just underseal.

I did think about making up a plastic splash guard to stop dirt getting trapped by the petrol tank gubbins, but I couldn't be arsed :lol: The other thing to remember is, stopping dirt and water getting up there in the first place is all well and good, but it's probably worse if it can't come down again, which is a problem the DIY guard would cause I suspect.

will be checking mine for rust later... any other areas which seem common?? some rados seem rusty all over, some seem fine?? or is it just the white ones that look rusty

another poor corrado donor car, oh well, im sure you will sell all the bits VERY fast...

There's a few areas, but the rear arches are the cause of biggest concern because replacing a rear quarter could potentially write off many a corrado! We need a sticky thread all about common Corrado rust areas. F'ckin ell how sad does that sound? I really should get out more :lol:

Yeah White + rust = lots of schitt coloured staining unfortunately. Silver is best for masking scratches and black is best for masking rust.... or a schitt brown like those 70s Mercs!

As for some rotting and some not, there's defintely some "Friday afternoon" Corrados out there, but what I have noticed (including on mine), is 9 times in 10, it's accident repaired ones that rot the worst!

Still, putting things into perspective, my old Allegro was held together with Duct tape and was 80% Kurust and Waxoyl, so my rado is positively triple galvanised titanium by comparison to that old wreck.

Interestingly, the best car I've had for rust was my old Y reg 1500 Jetta MK1. Not a single bit of rust on it, anywhere.

yeh, it'd have to be an uber state of the art mud-guard. lol

I remember giving the hole a regular poke... that is the drain hole beside the filler cap; you need something narrow like the long nozzel off a wd40 can, to poke down the hole to allow water to drain.

Oh Dear :gag:

IMG_5466.jpg

Ha Ha a busy bank holiday then :lol: :lol:

Can`t believe this was only 10 minutes up the road from me and I missed it :lol: :lol:

I must be slipping :cuckoo: