Sign in to follow this  
shane k

Accelarator Pedal detaching from the cable

Recently my accelarator pedal has been coming away from the accelarator cable. The cable hooks itself onto the pedal through a rubber ring.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so what they did to sort it. I have to be gentle with the pedal and have to keep checking if the cable is about to slip out. Its booked inot Awesome GTI for a service this month and have told them to look at it but has anybody suffered with this as well !!?!?!?! I've been told its a common fault !!?

Becomes a bit of a nightmare when ure doing 60 and the pedal decides to fall to the floor !

Haven't suffered this problem myself but have spent time waiting with HiAsAKite (from this forum) for the AA twice when this happened on his VR.. In his case the throtle cable had been over tightened by a previous owner and didn't provide sufficient travel for the pedal to hit the floor.. knock on effect was that over time the hook had bent and wouldn't stay on the pedal.. the nice man from the AA just relocated it the first time and recomended a new cable to be fitted but thought it would hold temporarily - it did kind of but failed again later that day so we saw the AA man again.. this time he pulled it through the bulk head and carefully re-bent it back into shape (worth being very careful as if it snaps you're fu**ed) As far as I know this solved the problem and the cable does what it should now with out the cost of a new part.. 8)

the rubber O rings that sit in the peddle go soggy after a few years... you can pick 'em up from VAG for only a couple of quid, they take about 2 mins to fit, and you'll not have this problem again for another 5 or 6 years... 8)

Guess how I know? :roll: :lol:

As Phil said... I had this twice in one day resulting in 3 AA vans in one day... must be a record...

Anyway, not had any problems since.... just bend the hook round so it won't slip off and don't over depress the pedal BUT... if the hook snaps, you're f'k'd until you get a new cable..

the rubber piece is part number 191721559 ( I think from my reciept and spanish translation). cos 60cents plus IVA

Suffered from the same problem on a customers car the other day. Went to move it into the unit 3 times after refitting the cable and the hook repeatedly pulled off the gromet. Bent the hook a little moe and problem was solved. In saying that I had to do a contorsionists act to get in to bend the hook and the reason the hook bent in the first place was from a stickey cable... so we now carry 1 LHD and 1 RHD throttle cable in stock for the next car that kicks up the same prob, next time it will simply get changed lol.

Off the top of my head I think the cables are only about 17 quid so it is just worth getting a new one.

I had the same problem on my MK2 Golf. I assume its a similar/same part.

I'll have to check the C soon to make sure the pedal aint gonna do a dissapearing act.

Cheers guys, I bent the hook a bit more and it seemed to have held in place but to give it that extra strength........ I wrapped some electrical tape around it to keep it held in and solid - works a treat now and doesn't put ant extra strain on it ( touch wood !)

P.S. Beavis, see what u mean, had to dislocate my shoulder a couple of times !!!

Hey Bally, good to hear from you mate - nah.......did the sensible thing and decided to keep it and buy a house instead !!!!!!! :D

Loved the C to much to get rid ! Still going well apart from the pedal incidents ive been recently having.

But.......sttill looks the part as you can see from the link...............hopefully :roll:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image2/1/34/0/111513400aWHfrY_fs.jpg