Sign in to follow this  
bigrichi

VR6 Idle prob but not ISV???

Not the usual idle prob question re the ISV. I have used the search and have a theory about what might be wrong but wanted somebody with a bit more technical know how to conf if i'm talking rubbish.

A massive thanks to Easypops for letting me borrow his ISV on sat as have came to conclusion that my ISV is ok.....

so if it isnt the ISV what can it be?????? my car idles ok hot or cold but constantly idles at around 1000rpm. Also i have problems starting the car whenever the engine is hot.

Could my problem be the Blue temp thingy??? Am i right in thinking that if this is working ok then the engine will rev at about 1000rpm when cold then as it heats up will drop back to 750rpm??

Cheers for any input

vr6 aint my area mate, but if your idling high and it's difficult to start a leaky vacuum pipe/ manifold maybe cause.

have you tried the search function?

sure one those 6 banger boys will be along shortly

Yeah, went thru a load of the threads thrown up by the search.....but it throws up so many options :help:

Was reading thru one of the threads thrown up by the search which has got me thinking it might be something to do with the blue temp sensor.

Because its not idling rough like the usual thraeads but is idling high all the time. Just wanted folks opinions before I go out to buy one.....think there about £40 odd quid and I'm a tight Scots git :lol:

OOOh let me know how you get on. i have just had this same problem, checked wiring, cleaned isv, throttle body, maf etc adjusted the throttle stop and damper still wont idle below 1000 rpm. Have also noted like you the blue sensor theory. sounds feasable as mine does not rev any higher when cold which would seem to indicate its stuck in cold start mode if there is such a thing. I also have a vacuum leak on my brake servo pipe which i am going to fix first and see if it makes any difference but i doubt it as when i block it with my finger it does not alter the idle. Guess we will see who gets a blue sensor first :D cheers jez

Yeah, bts = blue temp sensor.

Have you had it on vagcom? I know that will show up a duff bts, as I had one on mine when I got the car. They aren't (weren't) too expensive, just over £20 but that was in '04, so likely to have gone up a bit since.

If you change the title to mention the fact its a VR6, you might get more viewings :)

If you change the title to mention the fact its a VR6, you might get more viewings :)

Cheers Andy,

well I ordered one today and should be fitted tomoz so I'll let you all know how it goes

Well changed the temp sensor last night and nothing changed :confused4:

got it onto a computer this morning and its throwing up a few faults.

ISV short to ground.

engine speed sensor no signal.

engine temp sensor short to ground

looks like i have a few gremlins with my wiring :help:

The only way the engine will idle too fast is if it gets too much air and the only way it will get too much air is:-

1) Someone has adjusted the throttle stop

2) You have a big air leak

3) there's an ISV fault, i.e. not closing

If you put your mate's ISV on and the same thing happened, then that points to a wiring fault not closing the valve fully, which VAG com seems corroborate.

The only way the engine will idle too fast is if it gets too much air and the only way it will get too much air is:-

1) Someone has adjusted the throttle stop

2) You have a big air leak

3) there's an ISV fault, i.e. not closing

If you put your mate's ISV on and the same thing happened, then that points to a wiring fault not closing the valve fully, which VAG com seems corroborate.

1) where is the throttle stop?? is that the little kind of piston thing which the throttle rests on when its closed.....with a kind of piston/damper?? if so we adjusted that that a bit lower today which took the revs down very slightly.

2) going to have a check of all the vacuum hoses etc at the weekend etc cos been told this could be an issue

3)seems the ISV is fine so guess must be a problem with wiring/signal to ISV

The joys of Corrado ownership eh??

ive been having some fun with my vr lately every now and again it would just cut out, not the same sort of problem as you, but it would strugle to idle

i tryed new isvs nothing, new mafs nothing, throttle sencor bit better, lambor nothing

i messed around with the damperner on the throttle body and found that my coilpack had a crack in it and i also cleaned all the earths and now it seems to be fine, its worth cleaning your earths as its free and take your coil off and have a look for cracks as thats free (unless it does then its :censored: )

this might not help but 2 less things to think about

good luck

Cheers for all the input so far guys

ive been having some fun with my vr lately every now and again it would just cut out, not the same sort of problem as you, but it would strugle to idle

i tryed new isvs nothing, new mafs nothing, throttle sencor bit better, lambor nothing

i messed around with the damperner on the throttle body and found that my coilpack had a crack in it and i also cleaned all the earths and now it seems to be fine, its worth cleaning your earths as its free and take your coil off and have a look for cracks as thats free (unless it does then its :censored: )

this might not help but 2 less things to think about

good luck

Somebody else said i should check the earths cos they might be an issue so they are on the to do list.

Wont be this weekend tho....big 30 shortly and the missus is throwing a party tomorrow ...... drunk tomorrow and hungover sunday.

Alcohol and electrics dont mix lol :nono:

Dunno whats going on with the car now......

Its running great and idles at 750rpm

I've got a self healing car :lol:

Just to add to your post, i had problems with mine at idle, idle speed fluctuating, cutting out and hesitating at 1500rpm sometimes when sitting at lights. cleaned up throttle body, isv, and maf no change. Deleted isv damper, no change. Changed fuel filter, Wow what a difference, car pulls much better and no more hesitation or cutting out. Seems the filter was an original VW one that had been on there for 80k+ miles. Sometimes its the simple things! :D

Just wish my abs problem was so simple to sort out :(

Quick update, the Stutter i had returned fairly shortly after my last post. it was bucking so much that it snapped the front engine mount!! Trouble was it wouldn't always do it. It was always after idling at the lights or a junction that would trigger the stutter on acceleration. A quick dip of the clutch to let the revs fall back to idle and it would be fine. I tried plugs, leads, induction pipe, isv, isv damper, fuel filter, Maf and was just living with it until today. I got thoroughly pissed off. Got a second hand throttle body cleaned everything up and swapped over the used throttle position switch. When i started it it backfired and wouldn't run so i reset the ecu and its all okay now, well hopefully. Even the idle speed is at 650 rpm whereas before it would not go lower than 950rpm no matter what i did, even with the throttle stop adjusted right back. Dont know why i was so worried about the TPS as it was a doddle to switch really and now (fingers crossed) my girlfriend will be able to drive it without the fear of death after pulling out at a junction and getting rear ended as it cuts out. :D