Sign in to follow this  
A1 VR6

My New Daily

Yup, I've got one ;) Had it for 18 months now and adore it. Haldex Performance ECU, REVO, LED Tail Lights and a few little OEM bits :) (lights not in pictures)

I now use the VR6 as a daily dailer as I can get 30mpg out of it rather than the scary 24mpg in the Golf (and which also needs 100RON)

In fact I've only driven it once in the last 3 weeks, the poor things stuck at the end of the drive gathering tree sap :shrug:

I,ve been reading up about the Haldex Neil and it looks like a good bit of kit. Did the Revo make much difference?

Yup, I've got one ;) Had it for 18 months now and adore it. Haldex Performance ECU, REVO, LED Tail Lights and a few little OEM bits :) (lights not in pictures)

I now use the VR6 as a daily dailer as I can get 30mpg out of it rather than the scary 24mpg in the Golf (and which also needs 100RON)

In fact I've only driven it once in the last 3 weeks, the poor things stuck at the end of the drive gathering tree sap :shrug:

I've been reading up about the Haldex Neil and it looks like a good bit of kit. Did the Revo make much difference?[/quote:atxhds07]

very nice bill! was it new and still "on the shelf" or 2nd hand?

It's a 57 plate John with only 4k, leather, cruise :)

That looks really nice Bill, hope you have some fun with it. I almost can't believe you prised yourself away from those diesel runabouts after all these years. Hope you don't miss the 60mpg+ side of TDi too much :)

Call it mid-life crisis John, as I said it's not sensible but what I want and they're quite good value at the moment although the prices do seem to be rising.

Thats a lovely motor, I too wish I could have one as my daily drive. Used to like the MK4 too, but like a lot of other folk on this thread, think they seem a bit chavvy now. The MK5, however does not in any way look chavvy. Would I be right in saying you're getting royally screwed for road tax with that though?

Road tax is £400 so what I save on insurance they take in tax, but in life you have to pay for your pleasures eh :)

R32 heh !!

Great to drive, want some lessons ?? :lol:

I personally think its a shame they did not build this engine into a better model shape than the Golf.

Yes, I like the Golf, but the Mk 1 and 11 after this, I think they got really boring.

Despite this a good drivers car.

Sure you will have fun Bill.

£400?? how come thats so much more than a rado then??

Where have you been for the last year !?!

That's one of the main advantages of driving a pre 2001 car at the moment

I,ve been reading up about the Haldex Neil and it looks like a good bit of kit. Did the Revo make much difference?

It improves the low rpm throttle behaviour, which is far too aggressive, or far too flat on the standard car, depending on ECU revision.

Neil's feels spot on to me. Can't comment on the Haldex as I drove it in the dry (pretty hard) and the grip was phenomenal. Would love to try it again in the wet.

As for the car in general, I think the term 'daily' best suits it tbh. It's competent and rides well, looks nice, well made etc....all the things you'd expect from a 9-5 car :D. I did enjoy driving Neil's, but if I'm honest that was purely down to the DSG and exhaust tuning than anything else. The DSG is absolutely amazing, my only complaint with it being I wish the paddles were on the steering wheel and not the column, but otherwise it's perfection.

A manual R32 I would imagine to be pretty dull tbh. It's certainly not as intuitive or rewarding to drive as the Corrado (as Neil himself will say) and you certainly feel it's bulk when throwing it into corners, although it does handle crisply....if a touch soggy on the turn-in for my tastes. Nothing a fatter rear ARB wouldn't correct.

It improves the low rpm throttle behaviour, which is far too aggressive, or far too flat on the standard car, depending on ECU revision.

Neil's feels spot on to me. Can't comment on the Haldex as I drove it in the dry (pretty hard) and the grip was phenomenal. Would love to try it again in the wet.

As for the car in general, I think the term 'daily' best suits it tbh. It's competent and rides well, looks nice, well made etc....all the things you'd expect from a 9-5 car :D. I did enjoy driving Neil's, but if I'm honest that was purely down to the DSG and exhaust tuning than anything else. The DSG is absolutely amazing, my only complaint with it being I wish the paddles were on the steering wheel and not the column, but otherwise it's perfection.

A manual R32 I would imagine to be pretty dull tbh. It's certainly not as intuitive or rewarding to drive as the Corrado (as Neil himself will say) and you certainly feel it's bulk when throwing it into corners, although it does handle crisply....if a touch soggy on the turn-in for my tastes. Nothing a fatter rear ARB wouldn't correct.

You're comments are spot on especially about the throttle behaviour and it's probably worth the Revo to fix that. As for DSG I just couldn't bring myself to ditch the old stick shift - too set in my ways I think :)

For me it's an ideal daily which will mainly be used for cruising the country's motorway network on business and it's ideal for that and I must resist temptation to modify - not easy though :)

It is if you older than 25 :grin:

I'm hazarding a guess that it'll only be a couple of months until A1 VR6 has that baby running on 18" BBS LMs with a Milltek exhaust.

And what about the soundsystem Bill? May require updgrades if it's to be your daily, LOL

R32 heh !!

Great to drive, want some lessons ?? :lol:

I personally think its a shame they did not build this engine into a better model shape than the Golf.

Yes, I like the Golf, but the Mk 1 and 11 after this, I think they got really boring.

Despite this a good drivers car.

Sure you will have fun Bill.

Mk5 Golf is a great chassis.

Ditto, much better than the MKIV :)

A1 VR6; Haldex ECU is a big commitment due to the price (£800!) but worth it :D Car felt more four wheel drive soon as I drove it off the ramp :)

I do like these and could see myself owning one but I could never buy the Mk4 version. Its too chavvy.

EH!?!? Are you serious?!? :shock:

Yep, Im not that keen on them. There maybe not chavvy as such but they appeal to more of a chav audience I think. Dont like the big deep bumpers, skirts etc. The Mk5 is more restrained in my eyes. Im more of a Q car preson anyway i.e. something that looks stock/plain but it fast as fook.

Mk4 chavvy, first time I've been accused of that! I bought my wife a Mk4 last year and she loves it although she does prefer her Corrado when I occasionally let her take it out of the garage for a drive!

In our house Mk5s are known as R32 style Golfs :norty:

i dont think i could bring myself to pay that, especially with the condition of the roads... dont know where i have been?? sometimes its better not knowing :lol:

mk4's in general arennt chavy, but mk4 r32's are a bit, in 10 odd years they will be the new nova sri :lol:

For me it's an ideal daily which will mainly be used for cruising the country's motorway network on business and it's ideal for that and I must resist temptation to modify - not easy though :)

Good stuff. If you ever do modify it, the manual gearbox is a lot stronger than the DSG one :wink:

For me it's an ideal daily which will mainly be used for cruising the country's kerbs, and it's ideal for that and I must resist temptation to modify - not easy though :)

NICE!

So this has the optional "dirty mac" hook and "Car-park-Privacy Glass" then Bill? :lol:

VVVERY NICE BILL :) you kept that one quiet :lol: love the colour by the way. I do like those tho they do have a lovely sound track :norty: , what is it like in comparision to the rado!!! i throught it it would be much more quicker than VR?? what do you get MPG wise? been lookin at the MK4 version of these for a while now but it would mean the rado would have to go!!!

regards

chris :)

VVVERY NICE BILL :) you kept that one quiet :lol: love the colour by the way. I do like those tho they do have a lovely sound track :norty: , what is it like in comparision to the rado!!! i throught it it would be much more quicker than VR?? what do you get MPG wise? been lookin at the MK4 version of these for a while now but it would mean the rado would have to go!!!

regards

chris :)

It sounds awesome Chris, doesn't feel that much quicker than the C but then the figures on paper say that too, but it is an extremely smooth engine - it pulls cleanly from 20mph in 6th gear without any fuss :) .

MPG is mid 20's around town and I did get it over 30 on a longer run the other day.

Here's a pic and the keen eyed will spot the rado in the garage :)

Beautiful car Bill, it feels great to treat yourself once in a while rather than simply count the pennies with a diesel, enjoy