Sign in to follow this  
big ben

how do you remove bump strips safely

as title, how can i remove the side bump moulding strips easily??

do i need to heat them with something??

Yes, warming helps apparently, but not as hot as something like a hot air gun. When I was researching this for doing my paintwork several people suggested using a hair dryer.

i dont think there is an 'easy' way.......its a slow & very gentle route needed

it was very tense in my experience as im sure non of us want to harm paintwork lol

i used a heat gun, monitoring the temp constantly & worked them off very slowly & this worked great on passenger side

think i got a little overzealous on drivers side tho as managed to loose a very small flake of paint :(

but the doors will need addressing as the strips leave laquer lines

another 4 the to do list lol

yeah, im thinking i will try and remove them before it goes to have some bodywork done, so they can touch up any bits that need doing at the same time...

might give a hair dryer a blast

heat gun, patience and great care are the order of the day, residual adhesive can be cleaned off fairly easy.

i think there is threads discussing this before.

did boiling water work good??

couldnt find anything in search, so if someone does, post in here :shrug:

there is a cheapo repair i can see :lol:

got touch up on one side, and instead of blue its purple :gag: needs sorting!!

i used boiling water at first, problem i found was walking backwards/ forwards to the kettle all the time :D meanwhile i felt the strip was cooling which makes you paranoid about pulling at it - does work tho

i got a cheapo heat gun from b&q, cost me like £10/ £15 and has been invaluable for loads of stuff

I found they come off quite easily but leave behind a sticky residue. This is easier to remove if warm.

I was going to remove my strips but prefer the protection of them, so colour coded them and put them back on. Any slight discrepencies in paint quality and panel gaps is very obvious with the strips removed. Looks better with them imo.

Anyway, if you want to put them back or indeed stick anything to the bodywork and get it off again without wrecking the paint, then I recommend this stuff -

http://www.apetape.co.uk/index.php?app= ... 859830f8jj

It's the dogs. Comes off in one big strip too, so no picking little chunks off for hours like you get with ye old fashioned foam tape.

I was going to remove my strips but prefer the protection of them, so colour coded them and put them back on.

These are the bump strips that protect other cars but not yours ? :)

My doors are full of parking dents because they don't offer any protection what so ever - but they do stop me marking other peoples.

Car looks better with them unless its v smodded and smoothed, plus better protection and as so many have lost them its increasingly more unusual to see them on than off

I was going to remove my strips but prefer the protection of them, so colour coded them and put them back on.

These are the bump strips that protect other cars but not yours ? :)

My doors are full of parking dents because they don't offer any protection what so ever - but they do stop me marking other peoples.

You can say that of any car. There's no guarantee where the panels will clash in carparks. You might get a Range Rover next to you, you might get a Triumph Spitfire next you, you don't know!

What I actually meant was protection when opening the door in narrow garages because the doors are so feckin long....

did boiling water work good??

couldnt find anything in search, so if someone does, post in here :shrug:

search.php - Just put 'remove bump strips' into the search mate I just got 4 pages :)