Sign in to follow this  
stevemlc

Instrument Surround gap

Done a number of searches and can't find anything on this.

My C (and lots of others judging by Forum and for sale ad pics) has a gap at the bottom of the instrument panel which looks like it should be covered by the plastic sourround - see pic:

IMAGE_652.jpg[/attachment:3nrr2bku]

All the 4 screws are tight and the instrument cluster is sitting correctly in the dash. There is also a gap at the top of the surround as if the whole thing is sitting too low. It appears to be a common problem.

Any info on this?

seems to me your clocks are missing the rubber holding grommets. On each side of the clocks, there is a holding circular pivot (where the clocks sit in the two inner dash supports)....seems like they are missing hence it siting lower.......easy fix is using installation tape and taping around the pivots or try getting the rubbers....lol

Bob

surely the clocks are sitting too high??

none of them seem to line up great, it may well be the dash.

It's possible it can be adjusted a bit by slackening the dashboard fixings, but I think it's partly down to the less than perfect design/quality of the C interior.

Might take a bit of inginuity on both the instrument pod mounting bracket and dash itself to get it all to line up better,

Thanks for the input guys.

Should have realised there wouldn't be an easy, 2 minute fix - Karmann built C after all! Both my Mk2 8 valve and Mk1 Clipper have dashboards that line up perfectly with no effort but can't get the C's to sit right.

BTW needles are standard post 92 VR6 afaik.

Thanks for the input guys.

Should have realised there wouldn't be an easy, 2 minute fix - Karmann built C after all! Both my Mk2 8 valve and Mk1 Clipper have dashboards that line up perfectly with no effort but can't get the C's to sit right.

BTW needles are standard post 92 VR6 afaik.

where abouts are u from mate?

looks to high to me...I think you just need to make sure you got a the screws fitted and lined up correct

Sunny Fife, Scotland

too far lol :wave:

Not St Monans perchance? Was through that way last month.

I thought the gap was normal tbh. My VR is like that and previous C's ive owned were too.

same here, i think the gap is always there, had mine out loads and always got it back in ok, but the gap is still there

Thanks for all the input folks.

looks like I'll be taking the "live with it" option then - at least until I summon up the courage to buy and try to fit air con.

Er, no it shouldn't be like that and I can tell you why....

There should be two blocks of foam (like the stuff that stops the parcel shelf ratling around stuck on the inside boot trim panel) that are attached to the underside of the clock surround, this foam pushes against the steering column support and ensures a good gap at the bottom of the clocks.

I know this because my valver has never had the dash surround out and when I did take it out there were 2 blocks of foam stuck there, I have had the same issues with both my previous VR and my current G60 so given where the foam is stuck is probably falls off and gets lost in the dash.

On a side note how many people have loads of grey foam shoved in around bottom of the centre console?

On a side note how many people have loads of grey foam shoved in around bottom of the centre console?

yeah, what's that all about? straight bits, right angled bits, all quite dense grey stuff, must be for sound but it's just rammed in, in no particular obvious arrangement.

yeah, what's that all about? straight bits, right angled bits, all quite dense grey stuff, must be for sound but it's just rammed in, in no particular obvious arrangement.

I have this in mine. I was under the impression that it was fitted on the recall for blowing heater matrix's. Other than that I have no idea.

It doesn't seem to be fitted on later models and the only reason I would think they would do that is for noise damping. It is a bit of an odd assortment but would be effective at reducing exhaust and engine noise transmitting through the floor into the dash.

Thanks agin for the info, particularly about the foam blocks. I checked a spare surround in the garage and it has two thin strips of felt front and back but no foam or any witness marks where it might have been.

Looks like I need to find some suitable strong foam - might stick some around the centre console whilst I'm about it!