Sign in to follow this  
vagman

Modified or standard?

I was wondering? How many corrado owners out there if the chance came up would swap there modified examples for a untouched original car with rust free original paint and body? Also i have viewed three cars over the last weekend and all three have had paint at some point in there life, i was always under the impression VWs had solid bodies, i know they are getting on a bit, but from what i can see there cant be many example left like this?

Guess thats why concours examples go for so much!

Personally, the 'rado I bought was unmolested, can't say too much about it being rust-free underneath tho lol!! Nothing that can't be fixed tho. Id keep my 'rado

Thats it then :( with the funds i have to spend its looking like i have to settle for a car thats had paint! Or wait weeks, months even, to find the right car!

Standard all the way, I've only done one mod to mine that has improved the car without a compromise elsewhere. That's the big bore throttlebody. The suspension has improved the handling but at the expense of the ride quality, the exhaust sounds good but its not as quiet as the original, the BMC is good but can be annoying! etc etc.

I really fancy an original one. I had a Pug 205 GTi for 6 years and it was totally original, easily the best car I've owned, just kept in A1 original condition.

when you say "untouched original car with rust free original paint and body" do you mean with the same mileage and engine/componant wear as mine or as new?

when you say "untouched original car with rust free original paint and body" do you mean with the same mileage and engine/componant wear as mine or as new?

Your car looks great! But i am talking about a car with paint as good as yours without a respray, ie very few marks at all! Also the car in question would be an M plate.

I was wondering? How many corrado owners out there if the chance came up would swap there modified examples for a untouched original car with rust free original paint and body? Also i have viewed three cars over the last weekend and all three have had paint at some point in there life, i was always under the impression VWs had solid bodies, i know they are getting on a bit, but from what i can see there cant be many example left like this?

Been there, done it. Almost killed myself a few times as the (otherwise very lovely) standard car didn't handle or stop anything like the (Koni coilover & Brembo) modifed car it replaced. It was like driving a completely different car to what I'd been accustomed to !

To answer your second question Corrados do have pretty solid bodywork but even despite that the youngest cars are now 13 years old. Frankly most cars which have been used regularly during that time will have needed some paint and dint removal by now to look in top condition. It's no different for any other old car. Having paint refreshed doesn't mean the underlying bodywork has rotted at some point.

Tough one as a suspension drop and something like a BMC on a VR6 are fairly essential items.. but if I absolutely have to choose between a modded or a completely unmolested original car which had only ever been serviced / maintained with genuine parts, it'd be an absolute no brainer - would take the original car every time!

Thanks for your imput guys! I am looking at an unmodified car on sat morning, only up upgrade is an air filter, its a red one and no leather will keep you posted!

For me it depends a lot on the modifications - there's a world of difference between a dodgy, bargain bucket eBay suspension kit and something decent for example. Personally I like my car to look standard-ish but work better. I might be tempted by an 100% standard car with all-new suspension, bushes etc, but the reality is that most standard Cs have worn-out shocks, tired bushes etc, regardless of how shiny and new they look on the outside.

And standard Storm ride height makes the car look like a startled cat :?

Paint? I'm saving for a really good respray at the moment.

Just touching on the paint side.... My friend does body repairs for a job. He said that a huge percentage of new car have had paint work on the body after coming out of the factory.

He said its extremely rare to find a car that hasnt had an paint work done to it.

Just touching on the paint side.... My friend does body repairs for a job. He said that a huge percentage of new car have had paint work on the body after coming out of the factory.

He said its extremely rare to find a car that hasnt had an paint work done to it.

True and the Corrado is now 15 years old or more!

I think the Corrado does have its rusty spots as well. Front arches, rear number plate light and fuel filler area all spring to mind. Worth checking under the rear seats as well! Also quite flat fronted and low so partial to stone chips. So be surprised if their are many mint C's out there anymore with totally original paintwork.

I would concentrate on finding a car that has had a no expense spared service history than one that has a blemish free body.

Good luck with the search, hope you find a nice one

Matt

that is the other side of it, although i bought mine totally standard, the shocks were worn out, the brakes kept seizing, the rubber bushes in suspension all perished and didn't last long, so i've had to replace alot anyway

Standard all the way for me, i've been through the loop and had standard and heavily modified Corrados and call me old, but my next Corrado will be standard and staying that way (apart from a small drop maybe :lol: )

As for paint, as others have said, you'll find it near enough impossible to find a car that hasn't had some form of paint at some point. I sold a 16v Corrado on 42k miles years ago and the buyer paid for a full RAC check before committing, the RAC man had a machine that could tell how many layers of paint were on each panel and it showed that all panels bar 2 had had paintwork at some point, even though the car was MINT in the truest sense of the word. Without the machine there's no way you would be able to tell it wan't 'original' - the RAC man told me that it was VERY unusual to find a car with 100% original paint, whether the car was 1 year old or 30 years old. If the paintwork looks good then that's all that should matter, I can't really understand the issue :)

Yep, spot on!

My girlfriend's Dad used to work for Mercedes in the "preperation shop" at the port where the cars arrived, and his job was exactly as you say - to prepare the shoddily made and transit damaged cars for sale in the showrooms!!

Mr and Mrs Bingley who drove off the forecourt in what they thought was a brand new, virgin E320 had in fact already been resprayed and had new glass :lol:

The standard of cars that came off the ships was atrocious. Most of them had smashed windscreens and side glass from careless dockyard handling and assorted scratches and dings. A lot of the cars had a poor quality paint finish too, which had to be flatted back and redone.

It got so bad, the car manufacturers started fitting the white protective 'sock's and dent shields we see on shipped cars today.

Standard v Modified if buying again - I have no preference so long as the car has been maintained to a high standard. Suspension and brakes would be nice as the standard items are hopeless.

... He said that a huge percentage of new car have had paint work on the body after coming out of the factory.

...s job was exactly as you say - to prepare the shoddily made and transit damaged cars for sale in the showrooms!!

it's worse than that, a Fabia my sister had in for PDI once had a new sill welded in because the original was rusting through when it came off the lorry :shock:

Its like the 16 million Euros worth of damage inflicted on new Volkswagens waitng at the port in Germany earlier in the year due to a hailstorm, most of those cars were factory ordered as opposed to stock vehicles - I wonder how many people were told that their nice new car had already had bodywork / paint damage corrected. There was talk of them being repaired and sold as "damaged repaired" but I never saw anything happen, I do know that some cars were so badly damaged that they were scrapped

There was talk of them being repaired and sold as "damaged repaired" but I never saw anything happen, I do know that some cars were so badly damaged that they were scrapped

See that's just wrong. That's a whole lot of perfectly good engines and interiors that could have been recycled or sold onto the public or breakers yards. I think it's bloody pathetic that companies are so afraid of public liability claims that they would rather throw away £millions of stock than help people out by selling it on.

It's the same with Supermarkets. All the food they throw away that could easily be given to the homeless, but no, they chuck it. :cuckoo:

I agree - it was the same during the Mk6 Fiesta launch. They had 140 cars there for the duration of the event, all meticulously maintained and all did very little mileage - at the end of the event they were all transported back to Cologne and crushed. A couple of years prior to that at the Transit launch in Seville they gave the vehicles to local charities - they had a number of disputes with those organisations about things going wrong with them and the fact that they could not be re-sold - Ford vowed never to do it again

I guess that is the danger if you give something away but surely Ford's legal team could have drawn something up to rid them of any responsibility? It's not normal to complain about a gift going wrong though imo! You can't please some people!

Unfortuantely every dealing I have had with Fords legal team is as frustrating as knitting fog, decision by committee with no one prepared to stick their hand up - far easier to crush £xx million worth of stuff than risk their career

Modified or standard?...

If buying then it would have to be tastefully modified with FSH, I would take a C with coilovers and Schimmels for example over one without as they're fairly essential IMO and it would save the expense.

Owning...My car looks, handles, go's, stops, and sounds better then standard after a lot of time, effort, and money so a standard one would really do very little for me.