robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Hi keyo , yes I have a cassette holder. They come up on eBay sometimes. Now I’ve removed some plastics I can see a wire hanging down , I think this is the illumination for it . They may have been a small optional extra at the time I’m not sure .I think I’m going to have to contact my mate who has a double garage which I’ve used before to get jobs done because of the weather. I can see me removing the heater motor and ducting so I can find out where the water is getting in . It’s no fun trying to fix stuff on my drive. I just can’t understand how you can pour water around the suspect areas and nothing comes in , a small amount of light rain and in it comes .

Hi rob ,

Have you thoroughly tested the sunroof drains chap . The drain pipe flows out to each corner of the car roughly where the A pillar comes down to the sill on the front of the car.

Open up the sunroof and get a jug of water and pour in each corner, especially the front corner of passenger. I imagine there is no chemical smell in the water as you seem to have no concern that it is the heater matrix leaking. Hopefully its not the windscreen chap as it could be more then the window fitter it could be the fabrication of the new piece the seal does not quite house correctly.

If its not the sunroof I would take the plunge and buy a new door seal as really you need to eliminate all the easy stuff first before going to the body shop. Im pretty Sure JonVR& had some for sale off here.

Edited by Keyo

I haven’t tested the sunroof drain yet . But you can see where the water has been coming out of the hole under the pillar. So I don’t think it is blocked, it also drains down the wing as it should. I also think the headliner would be wet as the water would fill up and back up , up the pipe as it can’t escape like it should do .once I’ve removed all the bits so I can get my head up under the dash I’m hoping to see where it’s getting in . I just hope I don’t have to remove the dash as well in order to find it . It’s not the ball ache of doing it , it’s time . I’m self employed and tend to work Saturdays . I don’t want to leave the car in my mates garage and out stay my welcome if you know what I mean.

water has a habit of reaching places and settling far from where it actually leaks because of gravity. Before you start ripping things out.

I would test the sunroof drains asap.

Then I would consider taking the plunge on these door seals and make John an offer off here who is selling a roll of door seal to cover x2 doors.

I would also be tempted to look at the door card again.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?110024-Corrado-parts-for-sale

Edited by Keyo

Are you on the CCGB fb page keyo ?. I’ve put a pic up on there of the water marks on the floor pan .like others I still cannot put pics up on here .

Yes mate I have seen it but it looks like the drivers footwell I thought it was the passengers ?

You got me leak paranoid and just checked my car thoroughly , annoyingly the last owner had the heater matrix replaced and I can still feel damp coolant on the underlay/ soundproofing, i think its coolant has like a slightly oily /silky feel to it. Looks like they didn't bother to strip the carpets and replace the underlay on the passenger side that got soaked when the leak was present on the old failing matrix grrr.

I'm just really hoping its not your windscreen again after all the hassle you've been through and costs.

Edited by Keyo

That horrible stuff will never dry out mate . That’s why I threw the oem stuff away and the new stuff that got wet . Even if you did dry it , it will smell . I did think about my matrix , but I would have thought that would go under pressure, not when the car is just sat on the drive. To me the water looks clean as well it’s not pink . If it is the screen they will be doing it for free and paying for damages too !.

That horrible stuff will never dry out mate . That’s why I threw the oem stuff away and the new stuff that got wet . Even if you did dry it , it will smell . I did think about my matrix , but I would have thought that would go under pressure, not when the car is just sat on the drive. To me the water looks clean as well it’s not pink . If it is the screen they will be doing it for free and paying for damages too !.

Ok by the sounds of it chap youll have to test all the other possibilities and rule them out before going forward with your claim so you can be sure.

Can anyone recommend a good insulation , is it meant to have a rubber side to it so it stop damp coming up to the carpet.

mm depth for insulation ?

Does the carpet have a rubber backing mine seems to have carpet at the moment and under that is a rubber layer and under that the insulation wrecked through coolant.

Do I just need to buy insulation and the carpet has the rubber on it all ready?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Keyo

From what I can see Heritage do two versions.

deluxe double layer 24mm in total

Standard single 10-12mm deep in total

Has anyone fitted either does the deluxe fit sounds a little to deep.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

An old trick for finding water ingress is to shake talc or baby powder around the floor then look for tide marks after a storm / hosing down

Great write up FLA from an old thread.

I have the confidence to remove the carpet myself now and complete the job.

I have a rubber level of about 2 mm and some insulation of about 10 mm at present so just going to replace the 10 mm insulation and keep the rubber as it gives good insulation and a nice even finish under the carpet.

i think its been covered quite widely so have a search.

Anyway, in the meantime heres a little summary:

Pull off plastic trims by the door

Unscrew teh rear doorcard screws (one each) and carefully pull the doorcards off

remove the rear seat bases - push hard at the front of teh seat and the bracket will pop out

remove the black plastic seat runner covers (either side of the tunnel)

remove the front 10 (iirc) bolt at the front of the seat and slide it back - if you ahve heated seats, remove the connector from under the seat itself

Remove the seatbelt securing bolt (17mm) and pull the bar out - make sure you secure the bar in the rear slot when refitting!!

Remove the centre tunnel - two pieces, need the handbrake handle off first

Remove the plastic covers in the footwells

By the pedals, you'll see where the carpet has been fitted to the floor - remove the plastic nuts there

Check if there's anything else holding the carpet in place

Take the carpet out. Not tricky, or difficult, just allow yourself some time and keep a tu

From what I can see Heritage do two versions.

deluxe double layer 24mm in total

Standard single 10-12mm deep in total

Has anyone fitted either does the deluxe fit sounds a little to deep.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Keyo ive just put up a thread about insulation principals - hope it helps answer a few questions

Don’t bother with the deluxe underlay, we’ll definitely not under the seats anyway, you won’t be able to move the seat !.

Don’t bother with the deluxe underlay, we’ll definitely not under the seats anyway, you won’t be able to move the seat !.

Thanks mate I just went for the standard 12mm version and the car has all ready got a skin of Vinyl/rubber around 2/3 mm above that which is in very good condition which I will be able to reuse , looking like the job will only cost me £40.00 (cost of 12mm insulation. Im pretty sure its only average stuff to be honest, Heritage are not known for supplying anything quality unless it has the VW OE stamp on it in most instances.

This probably much better stuff then Heritage, Flame retardant as well if your ever doing some welding up on the sills or floor pan. I would guess the Heritage stuff is none of this sort of regret buying lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-0m-32ft-Car-Insulation-Self-Adhesive-Foam-Sound-Deadening-Vehicle-Floor-UK/254371043759?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40733%26meid%3D5efea0792ae9425b93e2921806a1e606%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D303377411805%26itm%3D254371043759%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Edited by Keyo

An old trick for finding water ingress is to shake talc or baby powder around the floor then look for tide marks after a storm / hosing down

Been doing this Dox .

I’ve removed the fan cover today and replaced it again , just to be sure it was on right . I’ve soaked the screen 5 times with a hose . Finally 4 hours later it starts to drip through. It has to be the new gasket not sealing properly. The fan motor housing is dripping and so is the joining piece of the blower conduit near your feet in the passenger side .

Rob dont give up, youve sorted worse issues. Plus your car is absolutely stonking!

Just a thought - liquids always find the lowest point, sp perhaps the point of ingress is elsewhere? I had water coming into my car from the aircon hoses below the fan.

Another thought for leaks (which i've never done, just an idea in my head!) - fill the car with smoke or dry-ice vapour and see where it comes out from.

Funny you should say that Hasan , someone one the CCGB fb page said about using a fog machine to find the leak . For me it has to be the grill gasket. There is no water on top of the ducting at all , I’ve run my hand along there and it’s dry . Surely if it’s dripping from the housing directly under the motor and by the floor vent it has to be inside the heater ducting and running along it ?.

A decision will be made this week as to weather I keep the car or not . I don’t drive it anymore, I don’t have a garage only a drive , so it sits in all weathers which ain’t good for a 28 year old car. Having spent a small fortune on body parts and the like and nearly 7k in total on the body work I don’t know if I can justify spending anymore. As stated in a previous post the rear sill is knackered and whilst pottering today trying to find the water leak I have , I spotted the front sill has gone as well . At this point I don’t know if I have the time or the money to put in to it anymore. I won’t get a decent price for the car as it is , so it may well get broken .

I can totally understand this Rob after the thousands spent on body work in previous years. getting that water leak recently and the underbody rot mot failure you had. Just take your time bud and think it over. If it is the windscreen leaking again I would let go myself.

Does not mean the end of Corrado ownership, you could get a fair bit out of your car and put it towards a well sorted one. Rather then spending thousands on yours again. It might even be more economical.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Thanks Keyo . It’s a very difficult decision to make . I think a few sleepless nights are on the cards !.

Lets be honest Rob if you fixed that leak you prob wouldn't feel like selling . Is there anyone local to Rob to pop over his and give him a hand to identify the leak and check the gasket is correct on his foliage cover?

The two rot spots under your car wont cost too much mate.

However if it is the window frame mate I would prob let her go to be honest.

My car is outside as well but I really think its salty roads that cause the rot not the rain when it is sitting on your drive.

Edited by Keyo