Sign in to follow this  
millerman

263 cams

Here is a noob question. I'll be getting my engine renovated in the future (its getting to that milage) and i was wondering - what are the benefits of fitting 263 cams as compared to the normal cams? Are the gains worth the cost? Obviously with the engine stripped down that s the best time to get it done. This would give me some time to ponder and decide which way to go forward in the future.

Just buy them and it will be a decision you will never regret, so sick it hurts!

well i picked em up last night so thanks to leon for a great deal

gonna fit em my self in a couple of weeks time so will do picks and a little write up for anybody else interested in this kind of thing :D

gonna fit em my self in a couple of weeks time so will do picks and a little write up for anybody else interested in this kind of thing :D

Make sure you get a cam locking tool before you start fitting them, luckily for me my local friendly forum Mod gave me a hand. Its also definatly worth ordering up a new cam position trigger.

ummmm, think i need to add cams and charge cooler to next years shopping list :norty:

Also consider the Autotech 262 cams. Superb value for money and come with an alignment tool aswell :D

Slightly less lift than Schimmel's 263s but a very good cam, very popular in the states.

http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm#vr6

You can also just use a thick piece of plastic to hold the cams in place instead of the cam locking tool.

ummmm, think i need to add cams and charge cooler to next years shopping list :norty:

Also consider the Autotech 262 cams. Superb value for money and come with an alignment tool aswell :D

Slightly less lift than Schimmel's 263s but a very good cam, very popular in the states.

http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm#vr6

lifetime warranty to, sound good to me!! cheers kev

I see the Autotech cams provide peak power at 6300rpm, is that similar with the Schimmels?

Lookin at my RR graph it appears to be that way, yes

Matt

I see the Autotech cams provide peak power at 6300rpm, is that similar with the Schimmels?

Lookin at my RR graph it appears to be that way, yes

Matt

Thanks.

Make sure you get a cam locking tool before you start fitting them, luckily for me my local friendly forum Mod gave me a hand. Its also definatly worth ordering up a new cam position trigger.

all ordered from my guy at martins vw in camberley he does some good deals for me now as im always in there :D

Watch the rear cam sprocket if you're fitting them yourself. It can be a real pig to undo the 15mm bolt. The front one comes off easy though.

leon left the sprokets on

You genuinely have no idea how much of a god send that probably was, that 15mm bolt is like nothing else on this planet!

I've had to take a rear cam down to a tyre place before for some air gun action, and even that struggled!

It's because of the cam sensor trigger wheel. It compresses and grips onto the bolt shoulder.

The front sprocket bolt pops undone with no trouble at all.

I've had to take a rear cam down to a tyre place before for some air gun action, and even that struggled!

My experience...

Tried to take it off in situ, not a chance

Put the cam in a substantial clamp and got a breaker bar on it, smashed the clamp to bits!

Jack the car up, put the cam under the tyre and dropped the car on to it to hold it in place, moved the whole car with my mate sitting in it with the brakes on!!

Welded a 15mm spanner on to the nut to help, snapped the spanner!

Got an airgun on it, didn't budge and finally rounded it off

...admitted defeat and took the sprocket off a spare front cam I had :clap:

Jack the car up, put the cam under the tyre and dropped the car on to it to hold it in place, moved the whole car with my mate sitting in it with the brakes on!!

Now that is quality :D

That is defo the most stubborn one I'm aware of!!

My experience...

Tried to take it off in situ, not a chance

Put the cam in a substantial clamp and got a breaker bar on it, smashed the clamp to bits!

Welded a 15mm spanner on to the nut to help, snapped the spanner!

Got an airgun on it, didn't budge and finally rounded it off

...admitted defeat and took the sprocket off a spare front cam I had :clap:

:shock:

a little bit of heat can do wonders, one or two things have led to me getting the Oxy torch on it... never admit defeat.

Trouble is, a bit of heat will probably set the plastic trigger wheel on fire and smoke you out of the workshop :lol:

It just needs sustained pounding with a very, very strong airgun 8)

Trouble is, a bit of heat will probably set the plastic trigger wheel on fire and smoke you out of the workshop :lol:

It just needs sustained pounding with a very, very strong airgun 8)

ah, didn't realise plastic was involved :)

on the topic of impact guns, was down at the old man's garage the other week and they have a petrol driven impact gun for commercial vehicles :shock:

beast of a thing, it's a bit like an industrial paving/kerb cutter but with a hoofing great drive shaft coming out the front of it, does something stupid like 450lb/ft 8)

not had time mate plus i dont have a garage :( and weather at the mo is not cam change freindly :D

anoying as i have the tools and bits to crackon :D