Sign in to follow this  
dgtvr6

Running like cr*p!

Help please!

The Corrado is running horribly when cold/damp...

Starts to run really smooth again when oil is at around 85c.

Have 95 VR6.

Anything specific to start with?

my gf's car and my neighbours car have both been unhappy in the damp weather.

Both were ignition component based faults.

Good luck.

It is that time of year again, damp weather can start to show up ignition faults, 9/10 problems of this kind are ignition related. I'd get under the bonnet in the dark with the engine running and spray some fine misted water, look for arcing around the ht leads and coilpack.

reckon I've the same problem - wat u reckon? Car is 95 VR6

very shudder'y during the rev range in each gear when driving from very cold - once engine gets up to temp, it's back to perfect :shrug:

Bit worrying as only just got her :pale:

cheers guys

thanks guys - so long term - if I just left things as is, an put up with the shakey running till she warms up - will it get steadly worse?

Or am I best addressing this asap?

:salute:

Depends how much are you willing to spend on it really mate :) Do you have any receipts for the leads being replaced? If not, might be worth getting them changed due to there age and out of caution. You can now order a 'kit' of red VR6 leads from VW for around only £100 now. A set of plugs should set you around £25 but again it depends on how much ££ you are willing to sort it. A new set of leads made mine run much better in the morning :)

As Supercharged suggested it's definately worth checking for moisture and rusty contacts in the distributor too. The blue temp 2 pin temp sender can cause running issues as well, worth replacing for £20.

sounds like you need computer diagnostics of which i have :D

...and just down the road from me... Any chance of taking you up on this?

sorry to hijack this thread, but would the blue temp sensor cause the car to run stupid mpg when warming up? the car runs fine and everything but mfa says its doing in the region of 5-10mpg until it starts getting warm which i know isn't a good indicator but its probably about right. im getting 50 miles to a tenner at the moment

sorry to hijack this thread, but would the blue temp sensor cause the car to run stupid mpg when warming up? the car runs fine and everything but mfa says its doing in the region of 5-10mpg until it starts getting warm which i know isn't a good indicator but its probably about right. im getting 50 miles to a tenner at the moment

Yep, no signal then the car will use a default value for the warm up map and run very rich.

You can measure resistance accross the pins to see if it's totally dead or not but you need vagcom on it really

Yep, no signal then the car will use a default value for the warm up map and run very rich.

You can measure resistance accross the pins to see if it's totally dead or not but you need vagcom on it really

The default value if the sensor dies is 70 degrees, in which case it would run too lean when cold. It's also the temperature at which lambda control takes over the part throttle fuelling.

If the sensor 'slow' it's possible the ECU could hang onto the warm up map for too long and over fuel the engine.

My MFA tells me that im getting about 99MPG :lol: i just wish it was true :(

HAHA! I would also be happy... My car goes like ass when you put your foot down :(

It doesnt feel as quick as it jused to be and the mileage has gone up... Should I check my blue temp sender?

corrado forum group buy on blue temp sensors :lol:

thanks supercharged, will take a look tonight if i can. what are the symptoms that the lambda has gone/is on its way out by the way?