Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

g60 under bonnet temps?

Toasty! Hot enough for EVIL! :lol: My exhaust manifold is around 850?C at full chat! :shock:

My air box (inside) has seen as low as 8c today...Felt like a G60 on steroids recently with the cold weather.

Neil.

I think Prodical Son had some of those sticky 'memory' thermometers under his bonnet for while checking out charger and inlet casings temps.

I guess the next question is where abouts under the hood? Obviously the exhuast manifold area is 'bloody hotTM, but the air and gear box areas will be 'less bloody hot'.

I still think that with a proper bumper to rear subframe undertray fitted that airflow through the bay would improve a great deal - it's just another project on the list!

ok actually thinking just above the gearbox area actually. :)

Chossing aheatsink for something but ultimately I think I just have to experiment and be on the conservative side.

I'll look have a look in Prod'sons thread.

Wouldnt the area above the gearbox get fairly warm at low speed, as this is directly behind the fan? I guess it would be ok whilst moving.

Didnt LisaK raise the rear of the bonnet to help cooling by allowing the hot air somewhere to escape?

Wouldnt the area above the gearbox get fairly warm at low speed, as this is directly behind the fan? I guess it would be ok whilst moving.

Didnt LisaK raise the rear of the bonnet to help cooling by allowing the hot air somewhere to escape?

You could just remove the two bits of long rubber that seal the scuttle area to help airflow a little.

What was your verdict on charge cooling vs intercooling on a g60 Yan?

Er, :epicfail: in terms of getting oil temp down.

Massive success in terms of getting a more consistant inlet charge temperature though. It does seem to make the car less dependant on ambient air temp for proper acceleration, so I can recommend it for that at least.

I am heading towards an air con radiator fitment to get the oil temp down to a sensible level, the Americans and Germans don't seem to suffer the same oil temps as we get and that's the only difference.

I also think a decent aftermarket engine managment setup will remove the vagueness that is Digifant, it just can't deal with fuel delivery in a NA mk 2 Golf 8v so adding the charger means it's less consistant. I think the Adaptronic one should allow me to retain ISV safety function and knock control as well as having all the joys of either existing narrow band O2 or wideband, throttle pot and a novelty optional output for all engine functions on a screen in car.

What was your verdict on charge cooling vs intercooling on a g60 Yan?

Er, :epicfail: in terms of getting oil temp down.

Massive success in terms of getting a more consistant inlet charge temperature though. It does seem to make the car less dependant on ambient air temp for proper acceleration, so I can recommend it for that at least.

I am heading towards an air con radiator fitment to get the oil temp down to a sensible level, the Americans and Germans don't seem to suffer the same oil temps as we get and that's the only difference.

I also think a decent aftermarket engine managment setup will remove the vagueness that is Digifant, it just can't deal with fuel delivery in a NA mk 2 Golf 8v so adding the charger means it's less consistant. I think the Adaptronic one should allow me to retain ISV safety function and knock control as well as having all the joys of either existing narrow band O2 or wideband, throttle pot and a novelty optional output for all engine functions on a screen in car.

it was worth a shot although I was skeptical about the relationship between oil temperatures and inlet charge.Sounded nice in theory so I was interested to see how you got on.

My mocal mounted in the original intercooler position works brilliantly tbh.

I have no problems with oil temps at all.

Yup digifant just about copes with the g60 but it isn't ideal system for a FI car.

Will be good to see how you get on with the Adaptronic.

Would be a good move for the 16vg60.