C488ADO

That Rado..............

it doesnt have to be pretty its not going to be on show..

af843bfc.jpg

and it fits!

1cbf885b.jpg

d52913e1.jpg

12265d2e.jpg

a quick trip to the garage to offer it up on the car to see how it looks... no bumper iron in this so its a bit flopy

c319e1ac.jpg

205ed94a.jpg

3398f0fb.jpg

to support te section of the side marker with the screw in i unforunatly will hae to eave you to your own devices i used 15mm talon pipe clip cut down and mitre bonded in and then drilled a small hole so the self tapper could bite onto it to secure the unit in place im sure someone can do this beter what with the day running on and me not feeling any better it was the best i could do in a rush!

also heres a pic of the SWG scuttle panel i bought off of here somewhere.... seen some action has this bad boy, all repaired up and ready for show!

had it body coloured then the bit that sits up against the windscreen ive had texture painted so it looks like and original piece when the bonnet is closed it looks standard ish.... which is what i wanted to achieve!

40637529.jpg

6f3468cf.jpg

f1595ffa.jpg

a772f5f2.jpg

0018770f.jpg

cleaned up the old headlining and sunroof panel ready to sell on...

2cf97b94.jpg

3ce53a2a.jpg

you can buy it from halfords now bud, never used to be able to but now they have started selling paint that is actually useable/handy

my mate turned up today with a nice shiney new windscreen for the car , couldnt turn it down so in it went!

21638192.jpg

a90c0a71.jpg

got the dash back in at last well nearly!

b977aaf2.jpg

after a ball ache of messing around i finally got my indicators fitted properly!

4bd9bff3.jpg

db622121.jpg

as im selling all of the chromed goodies i got bored and started to wire brush the obd2 manifold....

05e0020b.jpg

72987679.jpg

e9ed8aff.jpg

colour is supposed to be metalic black .......looks grey to me but halfords are adiment its metallic black.......

the two loom s are sat in fron tof the car at the mo.....il get teh interior fonished in no time its just the wiring thats holding me up!!! so close but so far , been off the road since september really geting the itch to drive her again now!!

Hello folks il try and make this as easy as possible bearing in mind this is a work in progress hey if it's any good it could be stickied in engine bay to make it easy to find?

First up, the list ,

what do I need to convert to Obd2??

1) obd2 engine bay loom

2) obd2 cabin to engine bay loom

3) obd2 maf

4) obd2 inlet manifold

5) obd2 throttle body

6) obd2 lambda sensor

7) obd2 Ecu

Now if this is possible you also need.... But don't worry if it's not possible to get them

8) obd2 keys from donor car

9) obd2 transponder from donor car

10) obd2 immobiliser box

If for what ever reason the parts 8,9,10 are not available because you haven't found a full car to get them from, or you are sourcing parts in stages from the forum then don't worry!

The obd2 Ecu needs to have the immobiliser circuit deleted from it you can send this to either D&G Autotec or Stealth there are probably other suppliers but these are the two that stick in my mind.

When the Ecu has had the immobiliser deleted you do not need parts 8,9,10 this in my experience makes life so so so much easier as sourcing bits can take a while.

as a side note please have to hand as its handy

loom tape or self amalgamating tape

make sure the obd2 manifold has got the accelerator guide on it as mine hasnt :(

sharp stanley knife of swan morton blades

black insulating tape

familiarise yourself with the loom it doesnt matter what does what i didnt have a clue you dont need a lot of it anyway , just make sure you know roughtly whats what.

strip the golf loom tape off of the loom , yes this will make a mess do you best to try and keep it loom shape ish....

the golf loom

IMG_0664.jpg

disconnect the battery and remove from car!!

next remove header tank as this makes it easier to get at the loom through the corners.

IMG_0659.jpg

i personally decided to take out the corrado loom from the car ,

so to do this you need to remove the slave cylinder and master cylinder dia phram round thingy in the engine bay

this thing here

(i know i knw the engine is out and its gonna be easier but honestly i did this conversion with the engine in this pic is just for reference and i didnt get much room to move about)

IMG_0390.jpg

inside the car drivers foor well remove shelves and get a lead light of some sort if you can remove the seat then do it you need to be comfortable when working on this and the less stress the better!

there are 4x 13mm nuts just undo them around the brake pedal youl see where i mean,

in this photo just above the brake pedal you can just see the nuts

IMG_0381-2.jpg

well maybe not! not a very good pic but you can just see the white round bit the nuts are situated around it in a square undo these...

remove the clip from the brake pedal arm and slide out pin

then the slave has to come out

this is situated behind the clutch pedal again 2 x 13mm nuts undo them and remove the clip on the clutch pedal slide off black round connector from the pin and you can now go round to the engine bay and remove the slave and the master... you do not have to remove them completly, only just enough to make a gap so you can get at the loom entry through the bulk head.

look at the above picture (this was taken from my car while undergoing to auto to manual conversion so no slave is present.)

the blanking plate is there the three holes in a line.

ok so what you need to do next is to take out the corrado loom unplug all ancillaries from engine (ones that you need to unplug)

what do you mean what plugs do i have to remove? which ones??

engine bay loom is wrapped up in the siver foil heat protector at the back of the bulk head undo the releaseable cable ties and follow the loom un plug:-

black plug located front engine mount

white plug located front engine mount

single pin blue wire plug located around starter motor

single plug (moderate size) wire from starter motor

round multi pin connector block from engine bay loom

the ecu multi pin connector

im pretty sure thats it?!

ok the loom your after runs through the bulk head in the top hole.

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

grabs the wires on theis loom and trace them back to the fuse panel remove all related plugs and multi plugs labelling them up if you want to might make it easier for you?

to remove the plugs from the fuse board itsself you need to slide the black slider only goes one way on the board this releases all of the plugs, it is located in the middle of the fuse box and runs the entire length of it it has one end larger than the other, once all the relevant connectors are out you can gently pass the connecters through the bulk head .

lay the loom out on the floor and strip it bare too..

why do we have to strip the corrado loom?

it just makes it easier to follow and trace the wires back to either the ecu plug or the engine multi pin connector

the corrado loom stripped

IMG_0665.jpg

use the black insulating tape to randomly tie the golf loom together in a few places mainly where the wires split off in to different directions.

once stripped back get the golf loom and you will notice it has two big round multi pin connectors on it one is obviously engine harness attachment and the other is the golfs lighting ancillary loom ....ditch this cut it out get rid of it fcuk it off throw it away....

ok you got the idea

carried on from the top!

the headlight ancillary loom plug it looks like this

IMG_0675.jpg

notice it hasnt got as many connections in it

IMG_0676.jpg

trace the wires back to the main part of the loom and snip them off, the brown wires earth and it goes right to the bottom of the loom snip them off neatly around there remove any associated plugs that go with it.

get rid of these plugs

IMG_0669.jpg

and this plug

IMG_0670.jpg

oh yes you can get rid of these too

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

get rid of this

IMG_0679.jpg

and this

IMG_0680.jpg

this

IMG_0681.jpg

this

IMG_0682.jpg

no need for this

IMG_0683.jpg

or this

IMG_0684.jpg

or this

IMG_0685.jpg

or this!

IMG_0686.jpg

and this can go!

IMG_0687.jpg

you should start to have a pile of wires that look a bit like this , dont worry ,this is going to get bigger!

IMG_0674.jpg

the golf loom should now resemble something like this after you have used the black insulating tape to give it some shape..

IMG_0671.jpg

so both looms are on the floor next to each other

the obd2 manifold in no doubt will be manky as hell and look rubbish, i took the oppertunity to do something about it

05e0020b.jpg

a quick wire brush and they really come up quite nice , well respectable.

i bought some vht metallic black spray from halfords.. £5.99 and sprayed the manifold the rocker and all the plastics i also painted the engine loom plug bracket as i had a spare just so it looks cleaner it gives quite a good finish.

e9ed8aff.jpg

looks a bit neater than it did before..

e2a526b5.jpg

so now all the prep is out of the way i turned to the engine wiring.

firstly remove the engine plastics

then the accelerator cable

unplug and remove the isv

unplug the connectors on the throttle body

6mm allen socket gets the four allen bolts off the throttle body, remove the body ,

6mm allen bolt on the side of the manifold which holds the earth bracket and one again into the back of the head remove these.

6 x 6mm allen bolts that hold the front of the manifold on remove these

IMG_0691.jpg

disconnect the oil breather pipe on the right hand side

disconnect the air temp sensor on the right hand side

disconnect vacum pipe on the right hand side

IMG_0690.jpg

the manifold can now be removed.

61ddc9c5.jpg

while i was at it i had an old metal rocker so i painted it to match the obd 2 one just so it look neater this job takes ?? 10-15 minuets

eeaae154.jpg

engine bay looked like this with rocker removed

f5cd11b9.jpg

get the obd2 engine wiring harness and familiarise yourselves with it, its going to be manky and oily i removed the multi pin conector from the metal housing as i wanted to paint it and it was manky

IMG_0689.jpg

i then removed the fuel injector plugs one at a time and replaced with the obd2 plugs one at a time.

i used the vr6's fuel rail and injectors from the obd1 set up.

again unplug the blue and yellow temp plugs from the housing and pull the loom out from under the coil pack around the back of the head and it should all come away quite nicely.

plug in the obd2 plugs from the end of the fuel rail relocate the loom all the way around the head and place the multi pin connector back in the housing (i did this with the housing removed from car 3x 10mm bolts)

IMG_0692.jpg

at this stage you should replace the rocker cover and refit the manifold the loom then will be easy to put back into place

connect up the obd2 throttle body and make sure all the plugs on the obd2 engine wiring loom are plugged in and everything is nice and secure.

IMG_0693.jpg

double check you have the accelerator cable guide on the inlet manifold. you can refit the cable now if you like its an easy task.

now the best bit get the new and improoved obd2 chopped up loom

but the loom hasnt been taped up yet??

i know its a ball ache but i think this is the best way as there are a few plugs still left on the loom which you dont know you might use and a dummy run just to make sure everything works is justifiable,

pass the obd2 plugs through the bulk headand dont worry they only plug in in certain locations due to the way the plugs are deigned!!

now the important bit

all four plugs are in the fuse box.

the white wire with purple tracer (this is the speed sensor wire) on the inner corrado loom needs to be connected to the golf loom (same colour wire) this bit of wire will need to be extended by about 6 inches.

IMG_0704.jpg

i cut the plug off of the corrado loom that we took out of the car, and added it to the golf loom, this then just plugs in nicely.

look for a twin yellow plug it will have a grey wire with a white tracer and a yellow wire, the golf loom will have a grey wire with a white tracer, this needs to be connected to the grey wire with the white tracer on the corrado loom this connects the obd diagnositcs

PLEASE NOTE IF YOU ARE CONVERTING A PREVIOUSLY AUTO CAR THE GREY WIRE WITH WHITE CHASER STARTS AT THE BLACK CONNECTION BLOCK BEHIND THE CENTRE CONSOLE WHICH IS CLIPPED TO THE METAL PLATE THAT THE CONSOLE IS SCREWED INTO. THIS WIRE WILL BE CASED IN A BLACK PLASTIC SHROWED. TRACE THE WIRE FROM HERE AROUND THE SHIFTER ACROSS THE CENTRE TUNNEL INFRONT OF THE DRIVERS SEAT , ALONG THE DRIVERS SILL AND IT WILL TERMINATE IN THE AUTO ECU MULTI PIN CONNECTOR ON THE DRIVERS SIDE WALL BEHIND THE BONNET PULL. TAKE OUT THE WIRE FORM THE MULTI PIN CONNECTOR AND CONNECT IT TO THE GREY /WHITE WIRE FROM THE OBD2 LOOM THAT STICKS THROUGH THE BULK HEAD.

IMG_0701.jpg

the big fat red wire with the blue tracer on it that comes through the bulk head on the obd2 loom needs to be plugged into the top right hand side of the fuse box

IMG_0703.jpg

the blue wire with the white tracer also has a blue plug on it this needs to be plugged into the small block of four connectors attached to the front (top) of the fuse box again this wire might need to be extended

IMG_0705.jpg

ok with everything connected in the fuse box double check and make sure you have plugged everything in on the engine side of things this is ready to fire up now , make sure nothing is dangling in the way of anything in the engine bay connect the battery back up .

turn the key listen can you hear the fuel pump?

do the relays click on turning the ignition on?

can you hear the throttle body make a humming noise?

good fire it up

so its running

all thats needed to do now is to tidy things up

lets start with getting rid of this

IMG_0706.jpg

get rid of these

IMG_0707.jpg

the yellow one can go

IMG_0699.jpg

with this done you can start wrapping the loom i used self amalgamating tape 2 x rolls cost £10

i started with the plugs down by the starter motor and worked my way back to the fuse box yes the loom was still in the car as i wanted to get the loom back into the most original position i could...

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

top tip start at the plugs by the starter motor and work up to firt join.

then start from multi pin plug on engine loom and work back to first join then wrap the joint and continue up to the 2nd join work from th eecu plug back to 2 nd join and then wrap that join ....you get the idea .

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

right so by now you might have already put back in the master and slave cylinder , this is ok if you have , the self amalgamating tape pulls the loom quite tightly together and now you have stripped out the crap it also makes the loom quite skiny so starting from the engine bay side wrap up as much of the loom as you possibly can even if you gently pull the loom through the bulk head until it wont go any further, then go in side the carand pull the loom back into the car wrap the loom in there and you will have then fully wrapped the obd2 loom place the gromet over the loom stick it in the hole and job done!

replace all interior plastics and use existing cable ties to hold firm the loom in original position and your done enjoy your conversion!

please feel free to add to this thread as my train of thought isnt exactly normal!!

hope this has helped somebody out there..

lumpy running was down to air leaks me not connecting up the oil breather systme!! lol

all vag com'd up and no faults!!! there were none before i started the conversion as i relpaced all the bit that did throw up faults ,lambda, speed sensor etc but all is good

first noticable difference

doesnt sound the same!! ?? doesnt rev the same feels somewhat resticted? is this possible? looking at the obd2 throttle body it looks weird has a funny angle to it can these be bored out successfully?

is it possible to open it up a little? i have driven it tonight and it really seems lively!! quite impressed if im honest as not knowing how a manual car behaves , going straight from auto to manual and adding the flywheel and pulleys it seems to go like fcuk! ???

things to not so far.:-

fans cutting in and out at temperature 90 so this is good.

fans cutting in and out when engine turned off so this is good.

not checked aux water pump yet but will on monday.

after i have run the car for a couple miles il vag com it again to see if there are any faults

not exactly great but looks fresher than it did, i would like to take this oppertunity to thank graham @ DG autotec from his help over the phone at a time of need !! very patient and very knowledable, thank you to evrybody on here that put thier 2p in all advice was is appreciated

IMG_0709.jpg

i have new leads from DG on the way

Your missus must really hate this car by now??

Just read the whole thread, what an awesome effort. Very impressed.

Really liking what you've done with your SWG scuttle panel. The original gloss black finish is a right PITA to keep looking good, I'm seriously thinking of following your example.....

M.

thanks guys ive started using the blog thingy we have now got and im transferring loads of info there , on the blog ive started from the very beginging when i bought the car got a long way to go to get it up to this weekend il still use this section for a bit while the blogs take off but then il use this for as it says members gallery so i guess just a load of pics as and when i take them...lol

yes my misses absolutly flat out hates the car, hates the colour. hate the stupid shape, hates how hard it is, hates how old it is, hates how much it costs to ,yawn blah blah blah

al this coming from a non driver.....................

get a nice roundy car like a TT or an audi or something i like those renaults with the big bums............

i am focused today is my last day on the car i go back to work tomorrow so it has got to be finished i stripped out all of the old auto loom and associated plugs on saturday ....

jobs today

put bung into bulkhead where auto loom was

refit pass carpet and pass shelf tray

tidy fuse box tuck up out of way

install 2nd set of rca leads

refit drivers carpet

refit drivers shelves

refit steering cowling

refit lights on buzzer, ddi dials wiring, cathode tube, shift light kit

refit drivers door card

refit drivers seat and refurb parts of it.

Really liking what you've done with your SWG scuttle panel. The original gloss black finish is a right PITA to keep looking good, I'm seriously thinking of following your example.....

M.

cheers mark once you have had the swg scuttle panel painted etc it is a lot stiffer than it was before fitting it is a little harder not much i guess just being cautious as didnt want to mark it but feels quite stiff...

taxin mine this week ,a meet is in order me thinks , when was the last time we were all on the road at the same time .........i dunno is was so long ago now lol .

do it i cant beleieve how quick my car is!???

i know i know its not going to be ballistic but going from auto to manual and going straight to obd2 not having driven it since september it goes like hell i cant believe how much quicker it is when you see threads talking about oh blah blah blah yes makes me smile yadda yadda yadda it really does make me want to drive it and drive it and drive it had a lot of fun in it today and im ****ed off already as i know its going to cost me a fortune in fuel this week!! lol

took advantage of the weather today and as ive wanted to do this for a while i gave it a clean just the outside il save the inside for another time.....

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01228.jpg

Well, please take this as a compliment.. If you ever decide to sell this car i would like to be contacted and i mean that 100%...

ah..... she is looking so much better mate , when we were working on her in the evenings ..... jeeeeeez what a proper state she looked . covered in crap from being in the workshop . nice one ,looking back to how she was .