captainredeye

Why why why my Engine!

Crikey Ben ! that's a right mess ! Good luck with getting it sorted. It will be worth the effort 8)

Mate, I know these cars can be testing at times but that seriously sucks. Stick with it, and just think of all the valuable knowledge your gaining through the trials and tribulations:brickwall:

best of luck,

max,

3 benefits is that I have two funcky conrod paper weights and a vr6 coffee table, these cars are strange last year I had so many problems with it I began to hate it to the extent where I got my garage to replace break pads because I couldn't be bothered, now the engine is kaput I can't wait to strip it and get the car flying again it's almost like I want the punishment.

I feel your pain mate, I had some bad luck when I first got mine and ended up swapping the engine but it was all worth while in the end, keep at it and good luck.

Rog.

Shiny new engine stand sporting a cleaned up block, have a week off work and parts are coming in fast, have to say German ebay is the place to be for getting all your spares plus with the euro being so weak it's worth putting up with th Google translator.

Question about the oil non return valve in the block, how can you tell its working? I can blow air through mine either side is this right?

Been a little busy at work so not much progress of late, have the cylinder head being skimmed, valves reseated and guides being put in by someone local to save me some time, today though managed to clean up and paint the schrick manifold and part polish the oil filter housing.

Finished putting it all together today, have a mass of photos as I have gone a long to record my progress but have only shared a few, have used all new shiny stainless bolts and gone with a metal head gasket and replaced the upper tensioner and bolt for the newer version.

Replaced the o-rings for the injectors as I noticed a load of crystallised fule on my old block and that was why it was running a little lumpy before.

I've got the 268s with the Schrick. Before I had them and remapped, there was a definite blip when the flap switched over - the cams and the map smoothed it out nicely, and it seems to pull stronger in the mid to top end. With the Schrick helping bring the torque band down a bit, it's a good combo

The engine is now all together sporting a set of 268 cams that I was offered, managed to get the old engine out today, plan A was to use the hoist but I kind of inadvertently went for plan B.

The engine is in and all wired up, turned the engine over with out the fuel pump fuse to get oil pressure up and quite pleased with how smooth it all sounds.

Next put the fuse back in and fingers crossed but alas nothing!

Checked the spark plugs and no spark, gutted going to have a tinker tomorrow but may have to get my garage to bring her to life.

great news. What was the culprit? My crank sensor looks like its losing its magnetism as i get long cranking when it warms up.

really not to sure, removed the relays and made sure they were in properly other than that it just started, I did check the fuel pump to rule out the crank sensor, unfortunately now the coolant pipe is leaking so have to wait for a new one to arrive.

Have the MOT Wednesday so fingers crossed have had to buy genuine parts for all the plastic coolant parts, bought a load of top-ran bits but none of it fitted and I ended up with a couple of leaks I think the mould they use are made from some sort of soft cheese!