Sign in to follow this  
big ben

snap off steering wheel, wheel clamp, steering locks??

Been thinging of the best route to protect my VRT from being dragged up on the back of a truck and gone into the horizon...

Im looking at getting a snap off steering wheel, anyone got one or recommend one? i take it i cant use the standard steering wheel with the boss adapter thing?

or, has anyone got a good wheel clamp? i have seen a site where they show you how to get them off so that has put me off!!

Or what else would you recommend, its kept on the road side in my quite village, so cant put a post up until i convinve the parents to let me put it on the drive with a huge post :lol:

Years ago when i owned a pick-up i always put a krook lock on it !

It got broke into,and where the scum tried levering the lock off,the wheel got very mishaped, but the lock stayed put !

They must have got bored or disturbed(it was during the day) they left it.

I drove it many years with the distorted wheel !

My Corrado has a cat 1 alarm,immobiliser,tracker and the ever visible Krook lock :D

the snap off steering wheels we have sold at work are to fit aswell as the aftermarket boss so youl would have to change the wheel, only other thing i can think is crook lock and maybe one of the handbrake/gearstick locks. i think if they get past that then you might aswell go out and give them the keys cause there having it!

I've been thinking about this lately. Tracker sounds good, as does a removable wheel.

Would be interested to hear opinions too.

i searched through the history of mine and its got a Tracker on it. so i phoned em to find out how much to reactivate. the woman said it would be £90-00 to come and service the tracker then £160 to activate it for a year. the car is barely out for 1 day a week so its not worth it :/

this is the reason ive been putting off buying another rado for a while.

i have a terraced house so have to park on the street, its not really a bad area never had any problems before but there are some scrouts who live on my street - dont work, shouting and balling, they have even had a BBQ out on the pavement!!

but ive been thinkin why should i not get the car i wont becasue of them and have been looking at different security items.

alarm and imob

steering lock/gearstick locks

trackers

tracker £350 to get it fitted, £135 annuall subscription, £350 subscription for as long as you own the car.

cobra do one but its gps and accroding to tracker you can get gps scramblers of internet for £30-40 which then makes it useless

if some robs the car, thrash's it round, wrecks it, leaves it smoking - tracker kicks in, police get your car back.

do you really wont it back fookin wrecked condition? think id prefer not to get it back

I don't even think a Tracker is even as much use as you might have thought given what I was reading earlier in the week (link below). Gangs are now starting to use GPS scrambling devices which render Trackers useless.

Frankly although your car is your pride & joy, in financial terms it's worth less than a new Micra. Keep some perspective. A Corrado is now a very old car indeed to most crims, so they aren't really being stolen to order (or even for parts) anymore. Your biggest adversary is probably the local pond life.

My advise is

a) Ensure it's got a decent CAT1 system on it. Most insurers require that these days anyway for Gp19 cars

b) Don't drive it anywhere near your home in a manner likely to draw attention to it's special qualities. And don't brag about the Turbo either.

c) Ensure you use a decent insurance company and if necessary agree a valuation with them. That way if it does get nicked, at least you're not out of pocket.

If someone is really determined they will have the car away regardless of the precautions you take. Use of recovery vehicles is not at all unusual. Putting a wheel clamp on the car is just an advertisement to thieves IMHO.

Link to GPS jammer story : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/23 ... t_gps_jam/

HTH,

John

thanks for the replies people!!

its definately hard, i dont want to draw too much attention to it... Im thinking a nice lock on the steering wheel for now, then maybe later in the year i will get a post on the parents drive and park it behind that...

i dont want my car stolen in the first place so a trackker is a waste of money to me

I don't even think a Tracker is even as much use as you might have thought given what I was reading earlier in the week (link below). Gangs are now starting to use GPS scrambling devices which render Trackers useless.

Frankly although your car is your pride & joy, in financial terms it's worth less than a new Micra. Keep some perspective. A Corrado is now a very old car indeed to most crims, so they aren't really being stolen to order (or even for parts) anymore. Your biggest adversary is probably the local pond life.

My advise is

a) Ensure it's got a decent CAT1 system on it. Most insurers require that these days anyway for Gp19 cars

b) Don't drive it anywhere near your home in a manner likely to draw attention to it's special qualities. And don't brag about the Turbo either.

c) Ensure you use a decent insurance company and if necessary agree a valuation with them. That way if it does get nicked, at least you're not out of pocket.

If someone is really determined they will have the car away regardless of the precautions you take. Use of recovery vehicles is not at all unusual. Putting a wheel clamp on the car is just an advertisement to thieves IMHO.

Link to GPS jammer story : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/23 ... t_gps_jam/

HTH,

John

He speaketh sense TBH...

If the do want it they'll get it Ben... if they don't turn up with a flatbed which they managed with mates old mans Scooby Legacy, at night from his drive, no-one heard a thing....they'll just break in for the keys...Crooklocks etc won't stop this type... but it's the "TWOKER" or someone after your stereo that will be the most likely one to go after your car...

try not to advertise where it's location is and scrub plate pictures from the internet... etc etc... as John says don't drive it like a loon within a few miles of home, keep sounds down in "pikey" areas, and watch your rearview for last mile or so... is there someone behind you? (Yes I lived in East London!)

Good news is that to the average "scrote" the Rado is just another old car (and isn't a Merc/Bimmer/Audi)

both have there flaws, i'm sure you will soon get sick of attaching/un-attaching the clutch lock especially if you have a bad back.

and i had one of those disc locks and soon got pee'd off with it when it was not secured to the steering wheel, it just does not stay still in the car and was always smashing against something.

both have there flaws, i'm sure you will soon get sick of attaching/un-attaching the clutch lock especially if you have a bad back.

and i had one of those disc locks and soon got pee'd off with it when it was not secured to the steering wheel, it just does not stay still in the car and was always smashing against something.

I had one of those diskloks too, I thought it was a good bit of kit. Nice and big and shouts f-off to any chancers. It is rather bulky as Karl says, but it does have velcro on the underside to hold in place when u sling it in the passenger footwell. It does rattle a bit as well which hacked me off.

its not a daily, so the lock wont be on and off... plus i dont park it anywhere other than home so i would leave the lock at home!!

think i will get a disklok