Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

I ordered the coilovers via Corby Motorsport on line, priced matched him to his ebay listing but hes since then put the price up slightly. Gaz Golf, with dampening setting with the spring rate they recommend.

I'll get in touch with you once you've completed the rebuild if you don't mind. As you're in the south coast and not too far from me, I'd like to check out the ride quality. :)

Sure, it will be fully eibached up with Arbs, all new engine mounts, poly wishbone bushes and all new top mounts so it should be good! It's cost me and arm and a legg so it better be! lol

Also, I will be on wide stance with large spacers which will make a difference to how it handles but happy to take you for a spin.

My ebay purchase arrived today! Just the Poly bushes to arrive tomorrow and need to order lods of sanding discs and Abranet sanding strips, supposedly very good product.

Went to see my bits at the powder coaters today and they've been really fantastic, managed to get me in on there black powder run early so collecting them tomorrow lunch time, so by the end of this week, the engine will be back together purring like a tiger.

Got to finish polishing the rocker cover tonight and tomorrow. Other than material difference, are there any advantages of running the metal rocker cover or the plastic one? Ive heard they are a bit louder?

Managed to get my mechanic a new garage, much bigger place so hes happy and he picked up the keys today, just been informed. So soon he will have a 2 poster ramp and plenty of space. The deal I made with the mechanic was, if I sorted him out with a new premises, I could have a corrado corner!

Poly bushes arrived today, new clutch spring clip arives tomorrow, started cleaning the gearbox properly, there was lots of dirt inside. New rear top mounts, picked the last one up at TPS, now not available. The stealers may have stock for anyone needing them, or use poly top mounts....

Had a result with the tank straps, they have come out really well considering they were totally rusty. The powder coaters did them for me for a tenner, blast and powder coat and all the sub frame, cross member, rad support panel, various clips and brackets, wishbones, water pump pully etc for £130. Thats a good price I though and a very good job.

Ordered some new braided fuel hoses and clips from Demon Tweeks today and should arrive tomorrow, some new rear bumper bolts, new power steering fluid to complete all the oils. New release bearing going to be fitted as well as ive become a nob and started replacing bits which dont need doing!

Need to change my rocker cover hasket as the plastic one is definately different and hasnt got the little semi circle part that slots in.... I called tps today and said, try looking at a gold rocker cover and he said they list the same part number and hes given me what it states for the car so need to find out what the part number is for the metal type....

Pics up soon once its all unwrapped

I might not paint the block just yet, the plan is to remove the engine again at a later date and either make a strong vr block or change the engine to something else. I could give it a wire brush and make it look better for now I suppose. It is quite rusty....

My mechanic wants to get the engine all back together and get everything mounted back in, then the cars off for prep. I was speaking to my prep guy tonigh and he was discussing the option of soldering the arches. A special metal finish that will produce a finer result and will require less filler. He will have the car by the weekend, so I will be able to drive it all of 10 minutes to his workshop and we will discuss the options. Has anyone delt with this product before? I believe they are soldering sticks?

Finished at 2 am, managed to get the timing gear back together, new sump fitted, 26 bolts!! Changed the spark plugs, oil filter, everything got a good clean before hand, every bolt rinsed with brake cleaner and spent ages wire brushing and brake cleaning parts. Next is to get the subframe and associated bits and hopefully the engine can be dropped in tomorrow. Changed the gear box main seal as well and picked up some more new parts today

Loving this build mate. Great effort with all the pics too! cant wait to see this about town! a new forrest road trip or something shold be on the cars! debating what to do with my engine but it may hold out for quite a while so ill see, but if i decide to buy a lower mileage aaa/abv lump may be in touch with your mechanic to see about fitting? think it would be a straight swap? 8)

When you say soldering do you mean lead filler?

If so lead filler is quite good and if done well there should be no/litte sinkage and less body filler is always a bonus!

This guy is not english and has been used to dealing with soldering sticks and has the equipment. He knows my mechanic and they spoke about what im doing and trying to achieve with the car. Since then he said once he gets it into his workshop, he will have a proper look. He wants to line everything up first and detail the arches to make them straight. He said it would need less filler and would be a longer lasting solution. It's more work as he could just use filler and make a nice job but if he gets the arches back to clean metal he can achieve excellent results. I think each stick is about 7 pounds and would need a fair few. His name is Peter and he will start Monday providing my car is finished by then. It just needs bolts into the car and all the new bits fitted, fluids etc.

Will keep you posted

Finished work with my mechanic at 4 am this morning! It will be finished for sure tomorrow, just fluids, slam panel, drive shafts and battery etc to complete

Boiled the kettle to warm up the poly bushes which helped and they eventually went it.

My car is awesome! Finished it at 2 am today, worked until 4am yesterday as work is hectic and only eveings available. Managed to go for a nice drive afterwards with empty cold roads. It picks up like a different car, the car feels planted and just a pleasure to drive. Even in 5th, put your foot down just a touch and there is power on delivery. Steering is great, the feel round bends is just fantasic. The complete overhall on engine, timing chains and all new engine mounts and polly bushes and eibach anti roll bars are worth every penny.

Its the first time I have smiled for ages, just randomly smiled whilst driving. My mechanic has done a superb job, with a bit of my help and truely grateful to him for the long hours hes put into this.

The bits Ive had powder coated look great, just need to carry on making things shiney and clean. Managed to get the new fuel hoses on and need 2 extra end bits to tidy up the hose. Camera for some reason wouldn't work, typical, so will see if its just low on battery and take some pics in day light. The power steering was quite noisey but settling down. The old fluid was red and the stuff I got from vw was green, but convinced my steering is lighter? Maybe all the new bushes making things feel better.

So, in 3 plus months, Ive driven the car all of 7 miles and tomorrow it will make its way to the painter and she will probably be there for a month or so, then off for top coat.

New spark plugs, water pump, release bearing for clutch, polly bushes, all new engine mounts, complete timing overhall, new sump/gasket, lots of degreasing and tidying up, new rocker cover gasket and polished rocker cover, all new fluids except brake fluid as this was done not long ago with the brake upgrade. Lots of new bolts and bits and pieces, new exhaust manifold gaskets and tappets. I dred to think what Ive spent but my mind is set to make this car very special. After its painted I will fit the coilovers and get the d90's on.

Just have to make the g friend happy and pay her some attention as im not flavour of the month with working on the car with any spare time. She used to drive my car until I bought her a car, nice, tidy Toyota Avensis, T4 with sat nav, dual climate control, safe comfortable car and she can take my dog out in that as the boot is huge! But she said to me the other day, I want you to take me out in the corrado because I miss the roar! '' Thats my girl'' :luvlove:

Sorry to waffle, just hyper from the drive I had tonight.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.. Should I fit the coilovers now or wait for it to be painted? Ive got to take the car now on Friday afternoon so I have a couple of days. I havent finished the d90's yet as the lips need polishing before I can get the tyres back on. Plus I also ned to recon the rear axel, strip and powder coat and get some new poly bushes. I guess I can have this removed at the painters and re fit with new suspension at the same time?

Great to hear thing have gone well matey :D like the comments at the end about your GF missing the roar Lol! lookig forward to the pics :clap:

The Storm is in the workshop to start preparation! Hopefully fitting the coilovers on Sunday and will need to get 2 tyres put on the rims so we can see how everything fits in the arch. Ive asked the guy to take pictures of what hes doing so I can keep the thread updated. We had a good chat about the arch lines and curves and he basically slated everything my welder had done and said it was shit! So hes re doing most of whats been done, getting the panels lined up then working on the prep.

Have a good weekend folkes!

Right, Ive spent the weekend stripping the rubbers and headlining, sunroof seal, etc nice job that was! Removed my parrot blue tooth kit as my recent Alpine purchase can work the phone.

Fitted 3 coilovers today and will do the last last front one. Had to get a windy gun and shock the top nuts off the fronts.. The idea of today was to lower the car, have a measure up and get 2 wheels on with the spacers to see how it all looks incase more arch work was required... I'm very happy with the look! Nice and wide, rears look great and fronts are sensible. I could have gone wider with the H and R adaptors, plenty of room but the look follows the taper of the rear nicely IMO. I could always try and find 2 x 9 J D90's and put my 8's on the front and run the 9's on the back??

My hubs now look horrible, need to refurb my rear axel and rear brakes but can do that lot another day. Put the new top mounts on the rear and my old shocks came out nicely. The bumpstops were destroyed on the rears. Theres still room to come down but want to drive it first and see how I get on with speed bumps etc and to allow the springs to settle. Also, its easier for jacking the car and moving it about till its painted.

How do I remove the rear number plate plastic? Usually I just wrench things off, but dont want to snap the plastic lugs on the edge. Glass coming out next week and hopefully in one piece but hes not accepting responsibility if it breaks! Somehow, I think he will do it! Positive thinking and all that..

I'm starting to see it come together which is great and now thinking I need to do some interior work whilst the car is being prepped. Might contact the guy on here to do some of the rood pillar tims, but want to do my headlining in something nice and the rear boot plastics. Have never used sound proofing before, is it worth doing the roof etc? Whilst its bare, now is my chance. Also, any good trimmers nr Bournemouth?

All the glass has been taken out today and all the interior. All the glass is in one piece too :clap:

Really impressive work so far!

Did you do the OBD2 conversion in the end, or did I miss that somewhere!?

Hi guys

I had everything bar the bloddy ecu/fuse box loom so it didnt get installed. I even had the manifold polished! Cheers for the encouragement guys :D

I want to have my head lining re trimmed and the sunroof, sun visors etc. Wondering what colour to go for or the type of material? Any suggestions?

Whilst the interior is out thought it would be a good time to update speaker wiring and or put in an amplifier kit? I don't want a sub, just excellent sounding speakers/components amped up. Which amp wiring kits do people recommend? My first corrado had 2 15 rockford punch xlc's with massive rockford amp and could vibrate my glassess of the dash. 8) been there and got the t shirt.

I need to talk to the guy that trims the interior plastics on this forum, I like the idea of them being trimmed but don't want them to stand out as the leather looks different to the seats for example? What do you think? Has anyone had their car done so I can see how it all blends in?