Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

I wanted to show everyone the detail I went into with the trimmed items. The visors were trimmed in alcantara and I wanted to retain both mirrors and lights. My guy managed to do a superb job and even painted the grey plastic brackets satin black. One extra bit he did for me was leather trim the plastic slider for the mirror. I just love it! The more I said how amazing he was, the more he did for me!

The ashtray was even trimmed to match it all in.

The mirror was trimmed and taken into bits so he could get the job as he wanted it, some pics attached. The headliner wouldnt really come out in the photo but once I buy a good camera, I will get some nice pics up.

I had the bonnet prop painted too. just for fun and protected where it clipa into the keep.

What do you think?

Edited by Rams

The car is booked to have a full detail polish, there are a few swirl marks that need polishing out. Just in the lacquer. Also the door need to be re done. The day I collected the car the door pin wasnt adjusted correctly and I had to slam the door to get it closed. I had to do this a few times as each time wasnt hard enough. This created some movement in the panel / swage line and subsequently has a 4 cm crack in the paint. You can only see it at a certain position but the cills are not great either. I wanted these smooth and in some parts they are and others, you see the stipple. This is booked in for the 14th March. The door needs stripping back and re doing but we have enough paint left over. All the inner arches have been cleaned and painted in black hammered finish hammerite. Looks nice and tidy, not that you can see into the arches now its low. But its protected. But overall, im very happy and have cleaned the car twice in 3 days! I did enjoy flying around having a play with Craig, forum member with a lovely vr, slammed and mega wide wheels.

I picked my mum up yesterday and even she was impressed and told my dad on the fone that Ramsay's Storm was done! Love the fact she called it a Storm and not a Corrado. lol. I punched second gear and watched my mums face turn white as she shouted 'oh my god'! Then the spped chat followed, she said, you do have all the speed out of your system from your younger days havent you and you will be careful won't you..... Yes Mum!

Also, I will float the idea of selling my number plate, I have seen something else Im tempted with and a few people now think im called Nige. So, if there are any Nigels out there you could have a very cool number plate to go with your VR.

It is only an idea at present......

Edited by Rams

just noticed and read your thread for the first time, inspired by it, love everything you've done, ps if you do decide to sell plate would be interested,as i am a nige and i drive a vr

Cheers Mr Lobitos, I knew there would be a Nige with a vr, I figured its value was be more appreciated towards a Nigel than ''nice vr''. Its obviously N16 EVR with altered spacing. Just to clarify.

Plus today I picked up a complete, perfect condition OBD 2 loom! I have finally found one! So now I have 1 and half OBD 2 looms, ECU, Key, transponder, plastic and metal intake pipe, and complete polished OBD2 Manifold. Wondering if I should buy the sp cams as part of the engine rebuild? I also bought the fuseboard as a spare, spare relays etc but are there advantages of running an OBD 2 Fuse board over my current board? I know the plugs go in eitherway but didnt know if the board was better? I even have the downpipe.

Going to do a bit of a read on the conversion for the 3rd time till I fully know what I have to do.

Edited by Rams

I swapped the spacers round so the 40 mm are on the front now and 35 on the rear. Car sits well now. Rear ARB now grinded down and painted as it was fouling the dampner adjuster. Now I can reach the adjuster and turn it so I can get the ride how I want it. I think the car needs raising a touch on the back and making a bit stiffer. Its a battle with how low and how firm really and how it dives in and out of the bends. The wider front spacers seem to have lost a bit of weight in how the steering wheel returns. That could be the fact the car hasn't been tracked yet. This is booked in for monday for a 4 wheel alignment. I wanted to give my self a week of trying different heights and set up so once it was tracked up it would be spot on.

After swapping the spacers over, I went to the bank and kurbed my rim. My newly painted rims! Was so angrey with myself and put it down to the 5 mm extra width from the spacer as I took the paint off and didnt really chip the alloy so I was within 5mm of the kerb! Thats my drivers excuse anyway. Popped striaght down to the body shop and when they re do the door they will sort the rim out for me.

The new guide on the wikki for obd2 conversion looks just the ticket. I have been after a simple step to step guide. I wll be printing it out and refering to it and will remove my loom so there no cutting. Feel its a more long term kind of job with the wiring.

The battle between turbo and supercharger is still on going. I know the Turbo will feel extra alive but having over 400 bhp to me in front wheel drive is just possibly wasting money / design for the roads around here. I am now leaning more towards a stong engine block, nice big rotrex supercharger and aim for the 300 bhp figures with a traction control system and enjoy a lovely sound and smooth power to add to what already is a smooth v6 engine.

I am browsing the rotrex and vortex superchargers and seeing what they are all about. I would love to jump into the car and be able to muscle in with some of the faster cars, the feeling I have driving this car just makes me appreciate what I have done. I took a spin into town last night and the car was really getting attention, I even saw a young lad with a dropped jaw whilst sitting in traffic. I was allowing 100 meter gaps between me and anyone large groups of drunks crossing the road. lol

Had the tracking done today on a very cool machine that takes digital pictures. I drove onto the ramp and we had to jack the car up to get her over the centre ramp jack, then we could roll the car forwards and backwards as it takes into account anything out of kilter with the wheels. All the mechanics came by to have a look and chat. Decent people and the guy who did my car was really carefull and used sheets to protect the arches and was the main trained guy so I was happy. Some pics of the machine and of course the rado. Still with crappy iphone but im working on that.

Car now much smoother and better over the bumpy roads.

Edited by Rams

Hi all

So, I decided to get my gloves on and tackle this long awaited conversion. Finding most of the bits took the time but managed to get everything and spares! I have not had the ecu flashed but using the transponder, key and immobiler box.

I gave the throttle boady a good clean out, bought 2 rolls of tape from Maplins and some insulating tape from my local electrical store. My friend is lending me some connector spray to make a water tight seal to the main plugs and harness. The OBD2 round plug was a bit dirty inside so it will be cleaned before fitting.

I also picked up a spare lamba sensor but the tread is not good but the plug might come in handy if different to mine.

So far, the rado loom is out, manifold out, brake servo moved back a bit, obd2 loom ready, just needs plugged in and tested before wrapping. Thats where I am now and later today will be going back to finish it off. It all has been straight forward except removing the brake servo, it felt like it would never come out and I didnt want to force it.

Once the rado loom was out and I could see what wires were similar etc started making me feel more and more confident, as so far I sat in my living room stripping the wires from the guide only and trusting what he did. I can tell you, snipping loads of wires and big earth wires etc was not fun. A sudden loss of breath with every snip took place.

My obd2 transplant is now over! Plenty of swearing, I can tell you that much. Mainly brake servo and the 1mm space around the fuse board to get everything in neatly.

Well, turned the key and the car wouldn't start. I then thought, I ****ed up somewhere along the line with the loom as I removed 2 wires from the ecu and a couple of wires to the engine loom plug that I though I could get rid of..... I also took the new transponder chip out of the new OBD2 key into my key and swapped the immobiler box under the dash. I couldnt get the screw back in as my back had enough. Bending over with the car very low for 2 days is not fun. Will do it tomorrow and now the wires are more tidy under there, I can get my screwdriver in.

Anyway, plugged the car in and I just saw a page of faults flash before me. All 6 Injectors flagged up as not earthing to ground. So double checked the main wire to the top right hand side of the fuse box, red with blue tracer and it wasn't plugged in. Connected it up and she fired into life!

Re checked for any fault codes after clearing them before and not one code, everything working and I gave an almight 'Yahoo!' when the car was running. I was so chuffed that it worked. I used the obd2 engine plug, both sides, so everything went exactly as it should.

My drive home was the best bit! Fook me theres a noticable difference. I am astonished. The mid range power is superb and keeps pushing hard. The car revs up with agression now, throttle response is like its a different car! The sound is also different, in fact, I think I prefer it. It's slightly lower in pitch but sounds like its got some more muscle if that makes sense?

I have a fair bit to catch up on work wise tomorrow as I spent all day on the car so after all thats done, I'm off for a drive.

I bought a bmc cda filter but it hasnt arrived as yet, hope it will come tomorrow as I havent really delt with the forum member before but he replied to an email saying it was on route late last week.

Big thanks to Nathan - Wikki write up, I spoke to him a few times, few text messages and he just couldn't have been more helpful. He knows the wire colours off by heart.

Edited by Rams

That's great to hear! Really happy for you. The OBD2 conversion has always been something of a mystery on here, but now with Nathans step by step guide I'm sure we will see many more in the near future.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this car finished as it's had a heck of a lot of work put into it.

Look forward to the next drive out then mate, yours will be sounding as nice as mine soon then when you get your bmc ;) i wont be able to keep up!

Think the tidy meet is this sunday if your game, should be mid afternoon, 3ish? cold see if few others are about?

Sounds good, hopefully the weather will be better this time.

R u intrested in a nice polished inlet for the beast?

Lets see who is up for going, I will send a couple of the guys a email, do you want to post something on here about it?

Also, we need to look at the calander to see what shows/meets we could convoy up to. Really want to get to some meets this year

That's great to hear! Really happy for you. The OBD2 conversion has always been something of a mystery on here, but now with Nathans step by step guide I'm sure we will see many more in the near future.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this car finished as it's had a heck of a lot of work put into it.

Thanks my friend, I was like a 10 yr old boy is Disney Land when it was all finished and working.

Hope to catch you at some point as your car is stunning and hoping to see some of the other amazing rados on here. I need inspiration for T or S charging now! I have the 2.8 block sat in the garage.

you have too many engines, ill either have your 2.8 and get chubba to install it with 2.9 throttle and mani or get on with the charging and let me have your new obd2 abv :p

seriously tho id love to supercharge mine eventually but cant do that untill i put in a newer/fresher engine otherwise id be wasting money, but at the mo shes seems to be running well and manged to keep up with yours even tho shes on 149k!

think few meets are a must this year, did you hear back from that guy about the polishing for circa £80? id def like to give mine a look over. and id love a new shiny mani but not sure i can afford it yet and would just me something else to clean in the engine bay!

Looks good mate......some of my effort in that loom too dont forget :)

Good to hear its up and running though. I am going to Tidy on Sunday also as it has been a while concidering I manage the site LOL and picking up some wheels too from a member.

Very true mate,

nice to see you on here.

Craig, I am picking up a spare 2.8 block, might do you a deal if you like. One is duplex chain and the other single chain. If not, my engine will be avaialble at some stage. Unless it becomes a table! ha!

You may as well buy an engine and do the work on it first as you never know, my engine could be worn, not that it feels like it does but to spend all that money on something you dont know whats inside could be dangerous. Thats what Ive done and was just lucky to have another block thrown in! Also, you can do it in stages and start getting all the bits and gradually rebuild the head and then take it all down to chubby to install.

Just tried calling Brad for you but his number is 07855 151 336 I believe, hes the top man for detailing in Bmth, so im told.

So sunday it is then, what time shall we meet and where?

excellent news ramsey really chuffed for ou!

dont you feel ..just so chuffed youve done t yourself at what at first seems like an almost impossible job with no knowledge?!

lol

now ive seen your thread im going to take some time out and read it look squite good already jealous of the trimming!!! lol

cheers

nathan

I really had lots of help with this so It doesn't feel like I achieved it all on my own but I did as much as I could. I am proud in my own way.

80 to 100 plus seems like the car has taken steroids. I'm not kidding. Even just pulling away or a short blip in second, the car lunges forward and it keeps surprising me. The throttle response I think its the nest part of the conversion and on start up, its immediately running nicely and with a lower purrrr.

Bad points, I can feel every bump in the road, coilovers still not set up how I want them. I've set it up almost like track suspension and have to realise the roads around here are crap. So I will lift the car 5 / 10 mm and then make the suspension softer. It does go round a smooth bend beautifully, It keeps saying give me more, just waiting to see where the new limit is but also respecting the time and energy thats gone into the car. Once set to a softer setting, it takes the bumps like standard suspension, I was quite impressed. To stop the slight rubbing Ive got at the rear I stiffened them, now too much. I will sort it tomorrow as its annoying me becuase I want to take the car for a good blast around the country lanes.

I am finding that the seats are not as supportive as those nice recaro ones, I can feel the sides pressing against me now as im travelling faster round the corners but today I thought it would be nicer to have some extra support. Will keep an eye out for some. Look very smart too.

I am now looking to get the car remaped and liking the idea of the msd coils. My bmc kit still hasnt arrived today so im a little concerned if its going to come through. The chap only had 1 or 2 posts and no reply to my email yesterday. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Any advice of where I should take the car for mapping? DG ? Living in Bournemouth, I am not sure where to go? Also, any comments on the improved coils? I also havent changed my spark plug leads since I bought the car, they must have been on the car for ages whilst it was standing, plus a year of me having it. Should I just buy a new set? Could I be missing out or do they just finction or not function? I did the spark plugs with the timing chains.

I had a strange miss fire I replaced with cheapy motor factor leads didn't make s difference , I broke those leads when taking them of , so I bought a set of DG silicone dubpower leads again nit mega expensive feel ok I fitted them and miss fire has totally gone , I live in the Sw and anything I want done like mapping is a mega trek away I have spoken to Graham @ DG last week about mapping etc prices 8vmatt and ribrado974 are slai interested in doing this All I have to do is email Graham with what we want done and he will sort a price we were talking discounted as we were looking at doing it all together ......... So if you want to add your name to the list I'm sure it would be quite a good day for a mini get together mapp the cars and grab some food whatever, talk corrado crap have a laugh and at the end of the day still blow Matt and rob into the weeds itl be great, the only down side now is obd2 mapping is more expensive than obd1!! Lol

Do you run any strut braces???

I run front and rear uppers and font lower braces the viilovers yes are set at the lower they will go just putty for the look ( not a daily) it handles extremely well it is a hard ride but I use the cheapy fk coilovers will change at a later sate when funds allow!

I couldn't drive mine now without at least a front brace makes a massive massive difference to the way the car behaves

Where exactly is DG?

I am currently using the Eibach front and rear lower anti roll bars. The rear bottom arb seem to make the difference by keeping the car nice and tight. I just dont know now when the rear end is going to go as theres so much grip. The wish bones are poly bushed up, all 3 new vag engine mounts and top mounts have been changed recently. I have not yet purchased a top rear arb, do you think its worth doing?

I would really be up for the mapping day, It would be nice to extract anything extra shes got and to see how she fairs up as what is a standard healthy engine with a straight through exhaust and de cat. Oh, almost forgot, and OBD2'ed!

Is the mapping day tweeking and adjusting or is there a new chip?

BMC CDA turned up this morning! The post man said, Ive had this for a few days now but didnt know which door you were! Plonker! Sorry for doubting the seller.

Have you considered the MSD coils? Look nice in th ebay, Haywire posted about them saying they give a stronger spark.

did you use this guy to detail the car, and did he give you an estimate of £80? im not sure whether to get the rear bumper done first in the body shop then use him, or use him then respray the rear as i have the scrath on the back panel and bumper is a mess? might make more sense to use him after when bodywork is done?

as far as engine work goes mate im in no rush, and i agree would be good to acquire bits and do in stages etc but living in a shared house i dont have a garage and cant store stuff in my room? bit of a pain? wold really need to be done all at once?