Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

I took my interior plastics, A, B, C pillars, roof lining, handbrake plastic cover, all the tailgate plastics and some areas near your feet. The sun visors will be done also, the passenger one is easier than the drivers side. So I need to decide if the drivers mirror will be covered up or if I can get hold of another visor.... it could be modified so the mirror could be set back in?

I'm going for a full leather retrim in Knappa leather to match existing leather. The head liner will be in alcantara along with the visors. This is through a local company that do Ferrari and Porsche re trims and service all the main dealers. They are known as the top guys. They are certainly not cheap but I think it will be worth it :grin: www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk

He is also going to fix my door cards, the leather needs re sticking where it folds over the top of the door card and one corner on the drivers door will be stretched and fixed to tidy the corner.

I have just realised that I didnt give him the gear gator plastic surround, will the storm badge come off the console so it can be re trimmed and stuck back on?

Some update pictures, prep work to be finished in a few days and sorting out a company to do the base coat. I have to choose out of 2 guys, both known to be exceptional. If I can get it in asap then I can get the car collect and delivered. I have all new rubbers except for the top door rubbers surrounds, might order them but they cost an arm and a legg. If I wanted new rubbers for the rear side windows, will I have to order new glass? Or are they available seperately?

Peter, the guy doing the car at present has lead filled the bonnet as he rubbed it down to see worm like rust spots, he showed me the pictures and just still amazed at how talented this guy is. Not many people do lead soldering these days.

What do you think of progress?

Cheers my friend,

Well, have provisionally booked the car in for base coat and finishing and a 15 hour mirror polish at 3000 grade. I have 2 more people to see but they are away at present and back this week or next. Eitherway, I am more than happy with the guys I spoke to today. Probably spent a good 40 minutes chatting to the owner and explaining that the car will be paint ready. They can have the car at the beginning of jan and they recon a couple of weeks. They will do the shuts first, bake, mask up, do the whole car and will wait a week for the paint to fully cure then polish.

The guy I spoke to knew Corrados well, I've seen a few Corrados they have done on my friends laptop who used to work there so I already had an insight to their work. He seems keen to do it as I described how far I wanted to take the car and that everything else is in great condition and needs the paint work to fully make this car. As I was a recommended through a guy that once worked there plus the effort I have gone to already, he knew this would be a good car to paint for referral work. He also said that the Corrado was the best car VW made and that more or less sold it for me! :lol: I had to agree!

He also made me feel confident that the job would be to the highest standard and that I would be very happy with the outcome. So unless these 2 other guys really impress, it should be ready by the middle of jan. He recommends ICI paint that they can mix on site.

The car is almost ready for base coat! Some updated pics as always....

I have shaped the lower cills into the rear arches, gives the car a wider look and a nice curve. I have therefore made the bumpers match as the edges have a lip face which ran inline with the standard arches. They are subtle changes but it should really give the C a facelift. Bit of botox here and there :D

The car is all flatted back and ready for paint, my guy was just finishing the slam panel so it will be ready tomorrow.

Removed all the carpet today and tried to start the car just to turn it over really and the immobiliser woun't turn off? Not sure if its a wire thats become unplugged from when the doors were removed or the battery? It was around 11. something on a volt meter. Will try my other transponder key first before looking through the wiring..

Leather ordered for re trim, all plastics have been dropped off and the trimmer will get cracking. Hes showed me all the stiching lines, marked out in chalk and he is on shedule for having it all ready for when the car will be painted.

I took my lunch down to the body shop today whilst walking round the car and I just can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers Waynos,

Managed to get the car started yesterday, just needed one blip from the alarm remote fob and immobiliser turned off rather than the immobiliser fob. Happy days.

Im planning to have the car collected this friday and hopefully to a spray booth. I am seriously getting paranoid with which spray shop and who's going to do it etc.

The one company that did talk the talk, they convinced me they were the guys for the job, but then my friend said on NYE, have you got the rado booked in yet and I said, looking to use this company called 'Ellis Designs' and he said, stay well clear! So now im back to square 1!

I know of 2 other good guys that my friend also recommends but they cant do anything for at least a month and the car is ready now and needs to be taken from the prep workshop ideally in the next week. He needs his workshop back and needs to clean it out. So, Im up early today and determined to find someone today by visiting their outfits and seeing some paint jobs for myself. eitherway, Peter, my prep guy will come with me once the car is painted so he can check the quality of the job with his magic paint eye.

im sure you know more than me rams but have you tried kustom kolors in xchurch or creative colour workshop in poole? le me know what you find, need some paint in the coming months and not sure where would be best/cost effective?

Havent tried either of those guys mate, do you think I should give them a try? The issue is, they all say more or less the same thing, just want to go somewhere renound for their quality finishes. My prep work will support the quality of finish so it shouldn't be that hard?

I saw your car I think a few days ago, my friend spotted it before me saying, Corrado!Looking slick

Ok, car booked in for paint on the 17th!

RS Bodyworx are doing the job, he is based in Poole. I did meet him a while back when I first started out looking for someone to do the car. He came recommended by my friend and I was happy with his approach and conversaion with me when we were discussing replacing the rusty rear arch.

He said he can do a mirror finish, seemed happy that the car was paint ready and the detail I went into about the prep. So I feel releaved, I dont know the figure yet, but seem to recall him offering a decent quote the last time with the arch work and prep work.

He uses PPG paint on good stuff and said thats what they paint Alfa Romeo's in and is excellent quality but would happily use a different paint. I suggested Standox and he said its a good paint but very similar quality to PPG. Might just let him use what he is used to using, maybe a better job for him to use paint he knows, can there be much difference how the paint flows out of the gun? I assume not. I will price up the standox and compare that to his costings or just ask him to use Standox. What do we think?

So, like Del Boy, Im rubbing my hands together and just need to kindly ask Peter if my car can stay there till the 17th! Hopefully he will be cool with that otherwise, its needs garaging and collecting on the back of a truck then delivering again on the 17th.

http://www.rsbodyworx.co.uk will be panting the car, check the link out. Im sure I can add a Corado pic to his website of painted cars!

Roll on the 17th

Good stuff mate, love to see it when it's finished. mine should be the only only twilight violet VR running 9x16 modernlines in Bournemouth, well probably one of very few in the uk? Where was I?

I had heard good things about both those paintshops but again reputations vary? I think Darren @ g werks used or knows the guy who runs CCW in Poole, atleast I think he did when I took my g60 to g werks. If your guys good value may have to give him a call in few months to paint my rear ;)

I think it was somewhere near Christchurch and Iford. Does look very nice indeed.

As much as I am looking forward to the re spray, I am not looking forward to putting the interior and car back together. I was a bit hasty in removing stuff and have millions of screws and bits to all piece together.

I hoovered the carpet then jet washed it with fairy liquid and blasted the hell out of it then let it drip dry. It didnt take long to dry and looks new again. :) Ordered some 4 AWG power cable, rca leads and speaker cable, ready to lay tomorrow, nice and easy whilst everything is out.

The car is being picked up tom at 12 and its being dropped off at another friends garage till the 17th. Can get all the amp wiring in and wipe down any dust inside. Have some Upol panel wipe for that job.

The leather hyde arrived today so the trimmer is trimming. Will have a few bits ready for next week.

I need to find a car cover in the morning in case it rains whilst its being transported.....

Car collected, safely in my friends garage for now. Lots of people were looking at the car on the back of the trailer, some workmen guys all stopped digging and looked up. The gfriend was sayin, they are all looking at your car.

I ran the engine for a while and its soooo smooth, I only had a quick drive since the engine work was complete.

Need to have the cills stoned chipped, some pics of the car outside the workshop. Luckily, the rain held off.

Just came across this thread- man, that's some job you're doing. I'm crapping myself for you over the paint job- it HAS to be right - top marks for all the effort- and where, WHERE did you get that quality GF?? :grin:

Really looking forward to the final shots..

The gfriend is Hungarian, she used to be one of the Forumla 1 grid models hence the love for cars and speed. Happy days. I showed her and her sister over a flat a few years ago and just remember thinking back to the film, 'Waynes World' when he says,' She will be mine', oh yes she will' and the rest was history.

I am still convinced that making a special Corrado was far better than buying something new and modern. Havent caulculated what that spend is yet against what car it could have been, but I'm not bothered.

I have now got all 4 D90'S sanded down to the metal on the rim edge, will be sanding down through the grades tomorrow to rid the scratches and once all 4 wheels are smooth and shiney, the mop polisher will come out. I need to get them ready so the paint shop can do the centres.

Ordered some bonding agent for the windscreens yesterday from ebay, it was a link sent to me from the guy that took all my glass out and just waiting for my Jetex exhaust to turn up. Can fit that after paint. Chrome door pulls arived today in the post. I will have to get on the case with sparking off the local bmth meet that a few of us were definately up for. Should be long now! Glad you guys like what I've done so far. Car looks silly with those wheels on, arches looks massive but im working on the D90'S now. Cant have the car ready without the wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... EF:GB:1120

Yeah- no more photos of the car thanks, I just want to see Barbs. Here's a photo of my girl- she hates cars

Definately have to hook up mate when the cars sorted and hopefully sun is shining. oh and you say shes got a sister?? 8)

No problem, I will try and hook you up a date at the same time. I believe her sister is single?

lol, forum of knowledge and dating website in one! 25 male single, athletic 8) but i dont mind the older women ha ha. let us know how the paint goes bud. give it a month or two and need my rear end painting and poss bumper smoothing if the price is right?

What can I use cover the car thats in my friends garage. The garage is water tight but cold. Just a blanket or something? or plastic sheeting?