Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

bulbs on ebay

FWIW I went to http://www.powerbulbs.com/ and paid £19.99 for the Osram Silver Stars, which are much better than these Euro Dezigns bulbs. The price is not much dearer when you look in detail at the ebay auction. 6.99 for the bulbs, 3.99 for P+P, 1.99 for postal insurance = £12.97.

Plus, for your £19.99 you also get some blue tinted sidelight bulbs to make them look more white aswell.

I got the same deal as you dr mat and in conjunction with Gav's loom, it's made a hell of an improvement, however the sidelights they send are the clip in type rather than the bayonet that the C requires so not much use really! 8)

Ah, didn't realise about the sidelights, I didn't use 'em - a mate popped them in his Audi A3..

:roll:

omg...

please don't do this... spend a little more and buy some philips vision plus lights... gives you 50% extra light, and doesn't bring the weird blue glow in your lights, couse that's the difference you see when you buy this crap

ok then

two completely different views

crap from one side and prety good from the other.

needless to say i am still in two minds then

cheers

paul

i went for em too man but havent confirmed yet and dont think i will now just stick to the 100w rally ones i got at the mo

What would be the best option then guys???

These high spec bulbs or an uprated loom???

Pete, definitely go for the higher rated bulbs (legal 60W/55W ones tho!), plus a loom. Do both, you won't regret it. The loom will make *most* difference, I think, but the bulbs still help. It doesn't say "+50% more light" on the box for nothing. All of a sudden really distant things start lighting up, and you wonder if the guy behind you has main beam on... :)

Oh, and I should mention that the Philips Vision Plus bulbs are also excellent, but a supposedly independant test said the Osram Silver Stars were very slightly better on all counts.

Yeah the Osrams came 1st in the AutoExpress exhaustive tests.....the Phillips a close second. I run the Silverstar Osrams in my H4 clusters and Phillips Silverstar H3 spots.....standard sidelight jobbies.

K

How much for both???

And most importantly [cos I'm a muppet!] how the hell do I fit a wiring loom???

And most importantly [cos I'm a muppet!] how the hell do I fit a wiring loom???

RTFI... :wink: :lol: Seriously though, if you buy a loom from someone like Gav (H100VW) He'll give you instructions and help you out if you get stuck... (not that that's a serious hint as to who to send a PM to about looms or anything! :wink: :lol: )

A loom is a set of wires and relays that you connect up to the battery, lights and existing light wiring... Basically it provides a shorter path to the battery for the lights to get their power from... The standard VW wiring goes for miles between the battery and the lights, so there is a considerable resistance in the wire. By putting in a loom with a shorter length you get a full 12V at the bulbs rather than the 9 to 11V that most Corrados get with the standard wiring 8)

Cheap, quick, easy and VERY effective! 8) (and No, that's not a description of Gav! :-P :wink: )

Actually while the engine's running, you should see 14.2 volts across the battery (from the alternator), so you will be over-driving the bulbs slightly by using the loom, but I don't think many people have seen significant decreases in lifetimes with these fitted.

Cheap, quick, easy and VERY effective! 8) (and No, that's not a description of Gav! :-P :wink: )

Being from Yorkshire I'd agree with cheap. My wife is best placed to comment on teh quick! :roll:

Easy and effective do describe the loom pretty good though. :shocked!:

Gavin

They are easy to fit. You only really need a 10mm spanner for the connections onto the battery. PM me if you want the lowdown including the cost etc.

Gavin

Actually while the engine's running, you should see 14.2 volts across the battery (from the alternator), so you will be over-driving the bulbs slightly by using the loom, but I don't think many people have seen significant decreases in lifetimes with these fitted.

so there's normally a volatge regulator for the lighting circuit then is there? :wink: keeping it at a nominal 12.0V? ;-) :D

Anything taking raw "12V" on a car should be rated to cope with 13.8V +/- a hefty wedge of tolerance...

Yeah yeah, I know. But by design, the lighting circuit on the Corrado drops those extra volts (as we all know)...

i fully recommend gavin's aka H100VW, looms what a difference well made and his customer service was spot on :thumbleft:

are they easy to fit. I am very interested in buying one. Do i need just the one for the headlights?

Yes the are easy to fit. I have bought one from H100VW, and almost fitted it the other night. was easy, but as i was unsure of one thing i put everything back how it was until i got confirmation of what i needed to know. Just havent had the chance to fit since then, but i can say it is an easy job to do.