somersetdub

Somersetdub's Aqua Blue VR6

Great progress mate, well done!

I can't decide if its worth doing all of this to mine or if I should just buy a better base to start with!

Thanks again guys, it's only here that people appreciate how much work it is..!

It's always worth it, but if you do it, be prepared to be reaching deep into your pockets!! - there are so many things you don't think of before starting the project and many things really need to be replaced while it's all apart.

I realised last night after putting the subframe back in that I had fitted the roll bar upside down, so spent an hour this morning dropping the subframe again and flipping it over!

Today I fitted the hubs to the front subframe and connected up the drop links to the wishbone from the new eibach roll bar.

I am confident now that the roll bar is the correct way up as it has a 'U' shape in the middle, but the roll bar itself seems like it's slightly too long as the drop links are stretched when fitted... Does anyone have any ideas??

9aqagyve.jpgebanu4e3.jpg

Yeah mate, looks awesome :)

I've just taken all mine off...need to replace the front abs / speed rotor rings and clean oil off of pretty much everything haha.

The engine is finally in...!

I've been busy most of the weekend, getting bits and bobs sorted and then fitting the engine yesterday evening.

Today I managed to refit the exhaust front pipe/cat, fitted the new clutch slave cylinder and flexi pipe, hooked the gear cables back up and fitted most of the engine loom.

Here's a before and after shot at roughly the same point of assembly:

e8ahejeh.jpg

upyhe5u4.jpg

This week has been a bit frustrating as I haven't been able to work on the car until yesterday.

But, yesterday I did manage to get the car running :)

After unplugging the coil pack and turning the engine over for around twenty seconds, I then reconnected and fired it up.. It started straight away and after a couple of minutes of rattling tappets it started to purr.

Today I bolted the slam panel, bumper etc back on and drove the car up the road and back.. Just to make sure it was ok!!

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to fit the rear anti roll bar and carry on with tidying bits and pieces.

u5ysu5eb.jpg

ejy6u5am.jpg

Edited by somersetdub

Looking good mate, I'm doing this right now with the same colour car! I've taken the abs pump and it's going for paint next weekend!

I am currently running in the new engine, which is a little frustrating at times as it is running really sweetly! It has only done around 150 miles so far, so a fair bit more sensible driving to be done yet.

One more photo of it with all the covers back on...

egaga4y3.jpg

A quick update.

Just fitted a Bilstein B12 pro kit along with new tyres all round and new rear bump stops.

I couldn't resist taking it out to try it, despite the horrid weather once it was all fitted.

I have to say I am very impressed so far; cornering is flat and responsive, but the car feels much more supple than before (with Koni adjustables).

The rear bump stops had been cut on the old kit and I was wondering whether or not i should do the same with the new ones. I ended up leaving them as VW intended and the car feels absolutely fine and not bouncy at all.

Overall i'm really pleased and the ride height seems spot on too.

Sound's good I've just got a hold of one of these kit's for mine can you let me know what other parts you used pm me if you like and a pic of it fitted please.

That Vege lump looks excellent Theo, top job mate! Need to update your sig now too!:p

See you in a couple of weeks. :thumbleft:

Hi Clumpy, I didn't use any other parts as I had already replaced the front top mounts not so long ago and the rears were fine.

I would definitely recommend replacing the rear bump stops though if yours are less than perfect. Beware though, VW have put the price of them right up!

No pictures of them fitted as yet, but it seems to sit at roughly the same height as it did before on the Konis.

Cheers Sean, yeah it's getting there now. I still haven't managed to get over to the AAA yet, but my mate said the 15th is fine.

Cool. Yeah height wise I was concerned that it might be too high, especially before the springs have settled etc, but I t looks spot on in my opinion and like I said, pretty much the same as before. The main thing I wanted from the kit was reasonable ride quality along with excellent handling. So far so good!

What have you got at the moment on your car?

I've got KW V1's on at the moment. I have heard so much good about the B12 kit plus mine is powerflexed throughout and will have the Eibach strut brace on the front and a Trimsport one on the rear.

Did you find the strut braces made much difference?

I fitted a front one on my old 205 and it made a huge difference.

Nice ones for the Corrado are expensive though and the eibach and trim sport ones always get snapped up!

Are you not happy with the V1s?

Just getting old mate :lol: The strut brace's make a huge difference which is why I feel the Bilstein's will work better with them the V1's are immense but like I said I'm getting on a bit and looking for a bit more of a compromise with comfort.

Well I've just been out for another drive and I can't believe how good they feel. There are places on certain roads that I know would always make the car crash and bang, now it just seems to take everything in its stride.

Particularly the rumble strips that you get leading up to some roundabouts to make you slow down.. The car used to hate them and so did I. Now it just feels like any other standard car going over them.

I am contemplating selling this car soon... I love the car and have enjoyed driving and working on it, but feel like a change, current thinking is an Audi TT QS or an S3.