somersetdub

Somersetdub's Aqua Blue VR6

Well a good day today, I managed to borrow a friend's engine crane and with another friend pulled the engine out.

I am just waiting to get hold of an engine stand now so that I can get the new motor on it and start transferring parts.

The new motor is a distributor type, so I'm going to need to convert it to coil pack using the timing chain cover from the old one. Not sure what else is involved yet, but I'm sure I soon will!

I also began cleaning/polishing/painting a few parts today - dipstick tube, manifold head shield and inlet manifold.

So much to do!

I've been making slow, steady progress over the last week or so. Cleaning, wire brushing, spraying etc.

I managed to convert the new engine to run a coil pack now, which was quite a mission in the end.

I have fitted a load of new parts including a gruven billet crack pipe, mated to a new genuine thermostat housing, water pump, new oil cooler water pipes, o rings, alternator etc.

It's starting to look a bit better....

ana6uteh.jpg

I am currently in the process of spraying the gearbox, which is now etch primed.

tedabezu.jpg

pe8u6ede.jpg

Still to do: remove the subframe complete with wishbones etc and get it all powder coated, then start to clean the engine bay...

Edited by somersetdub

Well over the last month I have been very busy on the Corrado. The subframes etc have been powder coated now. The wishbones have genuine tt rear bushes and powerflex fronts. New genuine track rod ends and ball joints.

Also an eibach anti roll bar kit is going to be fitted. I have fitted the GB rear engine mount that's been hanging around for ages and have just ordered a vibra technics fast road gearbox mount. I had already fitted a VT front mount, so that's going back in.

I have painted the lower half of the engine bay, along with the front underside. I will have to make my way further back the car another time!

Anyway, a couple of pics....8usu2y8y.jpg

yqy7uzah.jpgase2upub.jpge2egypyz.jpg

Brilliant stuff and exactly what I want to do over winter. Is it easy taking the engine out?

What have you done to get the ABS pump so good?

Thanks. Yes, it is pretty easy to get the engine out, about half a day's work really. The work is in cleaning/painting/polishing all the little bits and pieces you never thought of before starting the job!

All I have done with the abs pump is clean it and paint it silver, also painted the metal pipes in satin black just to tidy them up a bit.

Also, re-taping the wiring looms was a fairly big and messy task, but was definitely necessary and repairs to some of the wires and connectors were required too.

No I didn't remove the abs pump, decided against it in the end as I didn't want to cause problems!

Eventually I'd quite like to fit a Teves 20 abs system, so it maybe be replaced at some point.

yet another super thread (just looking at EJ Taylors), detailing a great turnaround and giving a vision of how the car (especially mine!) could/should look.

yer looks like me and sumerset have been going through the same kinda stuff, definitely correct when u say the works in cleaning everything down rather than actually removing it all. i do love the aqua blue though!

The dreaded abs unit seems to be an issue for everyone, such an ugly looking thing, every time i lift the bonnet its all i can see.

Keep up the good work sumerset and thanks for the good feedback fla! :afro:

awesome work bro!!!! keep it up!! and i agree, can never have to many photos! you really are taking clean to the next level!