-Neil-

Replacing rear brake pads

is it simple, ie, undo bolts, push piston back, put new ones in, grease little, the re-fit? or anything else i need to do, should know?

You'll need a piston wind-in tool, they're about £15 from Halfords. Other than that it's pretty straightforward, would be worth giving the slider pins a re-grease while you're at it.

HTH

Tom

i really cant afford wind in tool, can it work with G-clamp and some other tools, how does the piston actually retract into the carrier?

BUY THE WIND IN TOOL!!!!

My brother and I got the piston back in with grips and a big screwdriver, what a pain in the ass that was. Took ages, swearing and blood involved.

If you can't afford to spend £15 on your car, you own the wrong car. Always wanting attention and gifts lavished on them (no wonder people refer to them as a 'her' :norty: )

Seriously it will save you grief mate to buy it.

The piston needs to be turned because of the way the self-adjusting handbrake mechanism works. The piston fits on an internal thread and that's the reason for needing the tool to do it properly. I believe it is possible to do it by using a combination of g-clamps and water pump pliers but I've never tried it and I can imagine it being a right PITA to do. Is there anyone local who can help you out?

Good idea, ill see if anyone is local to help or who might have the tool. Sounds like its something ill need to do the job.

ah a grinder key, i know what you mean! ill have a look, one of my mates might have the tool or a local garage if i get stuck.

Rear pads are pretty cheap.. they list Pagid ones at GSF for £15.60+VAT!

I need to get this done myself. Can anyone confirm this tool will do the trick as it doesn't specify VW, but looks like it should do most cars:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-NEW-BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-22-34-PIECES-SET-/380475080512?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item589614ff40

lol in the description further down it does say corrado ;)

I used a set of right angled circlip pliers. Turn with one hand, push with the other. Worked a treat!

If they are free, but you'll have a job if the pads and disks are worn right down and old, less chance of damaging the rubber seal too with a wind back tool