oilman

Oil, some basic advice.

That's too thin for the VR6, especially ones of advancing years IMHO.

New / tight VR6 engines seem happy on 5w/40, then progress onto 10w/40 generally.

I'd stick with 10w/40 personally (just use VW Synta Silver).

whoops thank you for that i thought it was 5/40 had a dim moment :bonk:

That's too thin for the VR6, especially ones of advancing years IMHO.

New / tight VR6 engines seem happy on 5w/40, then progress onto 10w/40 generally.

I'd stick with 10w/40 personally (just use VW Synta Silver).

Just got home my bottles of GTX 10W40... payed about 50quid for both with shipping. Now we will see if my little pearl will purr!

Quick heads up; Mobil 1 Extended Life 10w-60 is on Amazon at about £35 for 5l, which is a pretty good price considering it's about £60 in Halfords!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RCNOCS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/278-4827884-2762541?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=0NV4ZJPQ8R4TM5JW0NR2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B004W7GJ7A

Also a chap on e-bay selling it at £69.50 for 10l.

Anyone know of any deals on 10w/40w?

Time to drop my oil.

oilman normally updates offers in the suppliers section & i think forum members get a small discount anyway

you could drop him a PM

personally i use the fuchs titan race in the VR ;)

Tried reading all the post on hear but there's loads I have a vr6 that has had slight engine rebuild iv had the head rebuilt piston rings and shells and new timing chains/tensioner the car has Not been on the road since this has been done about 2 years ago but is ready now so want to put some fresh oil in what would people recommend

If its had new rings and the bores were honed you need cheap oil for the first few hundred miles to allow the rings to wear into the bores to create a good seal.

Fully synthetic wont allow the rings to bed into there bores

So just put 10/40 semi synthetic in then I'll use the quantum oil from VW

Its a difficult one to answer due to the possible pitfalls, you need something to protect the engine but also to allow the rings to bed in

Quantum is 10w-40 Semi..................

Personally thats what I'd use to bed it in. Its cheap enough anyway, and running it in for 1k miles before another oil and filter change should be perfectly fine I reckon.

I've always put Quantum Synta 10W/40 in mine but the garage recently replaced it with Quantum longlife III 5W/30. I was initially p*ssed of as all my spare oil is Synta but the mechanic I use and trust did his best to convince me this stuff would be better for my engine. I was worried it would be a little thin, burn more and cost more. Does anyone else have experience of using the 5W/30? Maybe it's better for the summer? Although I think Friday was summer here in Scotland! I've got a late VR6 with 96k, no overhaul as far as I know.

Good thread guys.

So much advice and opinions.

Any quick recommendations for a low mileage VR with couple of mods.

Not much driving.

Will be ordering from opie oils or

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest Quantum 10w40 still stands as a perfect choice for a normal or normalish VR.

To be honest Quantum 10w40 still stands as a perfect choice for a normal or normalish VR.

Agree with this just changed back to it and the car seems lots happier.

Afternoon chaps, after quick second opinion for next oil change. I've been using Mobil 1 10w-60 for a while now and car seems generally happy with it but always seeking ways of improving, and seen one or two recommendations of either Motul X-cess 8100 5W-40 or Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10W-50.

The engine does get through the Mobil 1 10W-60, the mileage is 175k, so I think the Motul may be too thin, likewise the Synta 10W-40. But the Fuchs might be an interesting option. There's an element of if it ain't broke, but any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Dear Mr Opie, I believe these are similar to the now extinct Corrado items, would you be willing to help us confirm they could be adapted to fit Corrados please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insert-fog-Light-Unit-fits-BMW-Right-Halogen-H3-HELLA-1NB-123-582-001-/162112229210

In the first instance just measurements then if vaguely compatible maybe supply some for a trial fit? Not me, mine are in fine fettle.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?101747-Fog-light-reproduction&p=1172708#post1172708

Hey guys,

I have always ran my VR on 10w40 grade oil and have recently acquired some Millers CFS 10W60 Ester oil.

Would this be safe to use in the VR6, the car has done an original 193,000 miles with no issues and doesn't use hardly any oil, just thought I'd get your advise.

Thanks

Not too many posts in here for a while but I'll try anyway. The garage I took my car for servicing put a 5w-40 in when changing the oil, instead of 10w-40. When questioned they said that that was the one that came up most in their searches for a VR6. I suspect that's for the later versions, but anyway, was just checking that was OK.

Post above seems to suggest it's OK for a newly rebuilt engine, which mine is, but still wasn't sure if it's too thin. 

The used Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic, so it is a decent oil at least.

5w40 was never specified for a VR6, or most VAG cars of that era - they are pulling wool. 10w40 mineral, or semi-synth is correct, most often you will find Quantum Silver mentioned as the VW own brand, available online or from TPS. LiquiMoly is another. There are also plenty of oils on the market aimed at older vehicles.

They could be referring to the much later 24v VR6 engines from the late 90/00s, also if your engine is freshly rebuilt with all new seals, 5w would work (as some here have mentioned).

I have only ever used 10w40 semi-synth with the VAG specification.

Same here 10w40 semi synth. Interestingly though, a Bosch Garage who I got service my old one also suggested 5w40 when they searched too but I asked them to put 10w40 in.

Thanks both.

Yeah I have just been using 10w-40 semi-synth since the engine rebuild. My assumption was the same that they've seen the 24Vs as there's probably more of those, and they aren't aware the Corrado is a 12v. 

Well it sounds like 5w-40 will be OK for now and isn't going to cause any major damage. Engine is a couple of years old since the rebuild, but mileage on it is fairly low so hopefully everything is still good and tight. I'll just make sure they change it to 10w-40 next year.