Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

kev can you please elaborate on the dbw set up a bit more

what was needed to get this running and what are the costs involved

i am seriously interested as this could be the solution to a problem i am trying to counter atm

also are there any down falls? ...as from personal experience i have preferred the direct-ness of a throttle cable vs the slight hesitation sometimes associated with dbw

i was also thinking with dbw set up could it be possible to run like a "sport mode" ... a bit like e46 m3s where this reconfigures the throttle pedal to only ~75% travel or so when you have the pedal only 3/4ths the way down its still full throttle

also im guessing this would be a good opportunity to potentially use a larger r32 throttle body?

howdy Kev hows tricks?

loving the recycling of the OEM headlight connectors with your loom upgrade - tidy job there :)

that's quality about the DBW too, should see some nice refinements from that, plus you can mount the pedal exactly where you want it - get some heel-toe baby! (i always found the accelerator and pedal were a bit too far apart for my liking and heel-toeing was a bit uncomfy)

Thanks mate :D

what was needed to get this running and what are the costs involved

i am seriously interested as this could be the solution to a problem i am trying to counter atm

also are there any down falls? ...as from personal experience i have preferred the direct-ness of a throttle cable vs the slight hesitation sometimes associated with dbw

i was also thinking with dbw set up could it be possible to run like a "sport mode" ... a bit like e46 m3s where this reconfigures the throttle pedal to only ~75% travel or so when you have the pedal only 3/4ths the way down its still full throttle

also im guessing this would be a good opportunity to potentially use a larger r32 throttle body?

It's not installed yet. I've got some time off over easter, which is when I plan to put it in. You won't be able to run it on your engine unless you buy the matching standalone engine management to go with it. I've been waiting for DTA to release the STC controller for over 3 years, but it's finally here!

I've driven quite a few DBW cars and never found the response to a problem, especially not on the 24V VR6s, which is where my pedal and TB come from. The most responsive engines in the world use DBW, so I suspect a slight hesitation in the DBW engines you've driven is more likely to be a flat spot in the fuelling from not keeping up with the throttle opening speed, or some kind of protection mechanism kicking in. I know with the very late 1.8T engines, if you whack the throttle right down in a low gear, it pre-empts a wheel spin condition and the Nanny state counter measures come down like an anvil, shutting everything off, including the throttle. Very dangerous when you're on a very short slip road trying to join a busy A road.

Yeah you can map the opening response in the manner you describe. Both directions need mapping as you have a motor to open and a motor to close (plus a spring for safety) so you could even hold the throttle open on gearshifts, retard the ign, throw in fuel and get cheap anti-lag :D

Just getting it driving smoothly will be a challenge, so I won't be running before I can walk with this! Don't want to end up driving through a shop window at full throttle whilst parking up!

R32 throttle is too big for my application. Large throttle plates on small engines are more trouble than they are worth. You only have to open it a few mm and the flow massively exceeds the flow of the standard throttle for the same opening, which is an absolute pig to map. With boost, throttle size isn't important. It's best to keep the low end tractable with a small throttle.

howdy Kev hows tricks?

loving the recycling of the OEM headlight connectors with your loom upgrade - tidy job there :)

that's quality about the DBW too, should see some nice refinements from that, plus you can mount the pedal exactly where you want it - get some heel-toe baby! (i always found the accelerator and pedal were a bit too far apart for my liking and heel-toeing was a bit uncomfy)

Cheers chap! Yeah that's the plan, although I think I'll just shove the pedal where ever is most convenient from a mounting point of view tbh! :D

Kev, I was just wondering where you got this from: intake_shield.jpg

Looks like just what I'm looking for!

Ha, that's a blast from the past! The place I got that from doesn't exist anymore, but it's just standard old foil backed glass fibre heatshield stuff. If you're thinking of wrapping it round the intake tube like I did, don't bother, doesn't make any difference. Focus on intercooler efficiency instead. That's where the real gains from temperature reduction come from.

Nah, I just thought it looked good for wrapping bundles of wires/coolant hoses etc

Great thread Kev - fellow serial modifier....!

Edited by GVK