Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

OH OOH!!!!

I was on my way up to Jabba on Friday for a 20k service & a few other bits. Been on the road for about an hour. As I changed gear I said to my mate, oh that didn't sound right!! Stopped at the services and drove round in the car park - car now making some expensive noises!! :( :mad: - I'm thinking *&%k!! this is all I need. Being Closer to Jabba than home I carried on going. Got there had the service, they looked at my clutch - and yes as expected :cry: it's about to give up! 80LL0x!! I managed to get me home after that.... just! after taking it very easy on the way back. (couldn't even give it some to see how it went after the tune up!!!)

So off down the garage Sat morning for a quote. I have a wheel bearing that's just started to play up, so figure it's a good time to have that done 2 - the expected price is going to be in the reigon of £400 + VAT :( Not a good month!! I've already put 2 tyres on it (approx £200) & the Servive etc (£350) and now this!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Look out people!!! There will be one crisp corrado coming out of the garage this week driving like new!!!

Id get some more prices from other garages if I was you, Star Performance done my clutch for £235 and I doubt it costs £165+ to sort a wheel bearing.

u can do a wheel bearing yourself mate not hard at all, even easier if its a rear one. Like joe said that is too expensive, normal garages charge about £250-300 for a clutch

Na, it's the front wheel bearing mate. I need the car back on the road like, yesterday!! I won't have time to do it myself till the weekend earliest!

It is around £300 for the clutch. It's the labour that is the killer there.

He's quoted me high I think. But I trust the garage> It gives me peace of mind that it's going there, rather than putting it in somewhere I don't know & worry if some little scrote is tearing about in it.

Bummer mate, just as you think the car will be sweet something else goes wrong! hope you get it all sorted.. :)

Bummer mate, just as you think the car will be sweet something else goes wrong! hope you get it all sorted.. :)

Always the way :roll:

Sorry to hear mate... at the end of this month I have about a £1500 bill winging my way for the 20v... loads of things being done, not good at all. But as you say... I will too have a crisp running like new Rado on the road too 8)

Dan you can get a vr6 clutch from the dealers for 70.81 + vat and a normal garage would charge about 150 to do the job no more than a 3 hour job on a corrado

Dan you can get a vr6 clutch from the dealers for 70.81 + vat and a normal garage would charge about 150 to do the job no more than a 3 hour job on a corrado

The guy that owns the place is an honest guy, if it only takes him 3 hours, I trust him to charge me that. As I said above, I'm getting the wheel bearing done 2, so it will be a little more.

Should be picking it up after work. Wiill find out the damage then :( But I get to give it a ripping :) so it's not all bad 8)

Just got off the phone to the garage, it's all done & going to be just over £300. He said the non of the bearings need doing. My noise was some kind of rubber counter weight on the driveshaft.

The cars well dirty at the moment Bally! That trip up to Jabba made a right mess of it! I'll be able to get you that dirty pic of it I said about :D

Clutch lifetime is 100% dependant on how it's driven. Could be 400k miles if the owner doesn't slip it much, but it could be 20k miles if they're doing burn out starts all the time!

Personally I find the VR torquey enough that when pulling away, 1200 revs is more than enough to get off the line smartly and once you've got your foot off the clutch, you can plant the loud pedal and make that glorious noise.... :D

:oops: I forgot to take them mate :roll: Only realised half way though washing it. Maybe next time ay

Oh well, washed myn lastnite after 4wks :(

getting alot of looks in it being all CLEAN :D

Out of interest.

What sort of lifespan has the average Corrado clutch?

Mine is on 112k now and still on original clutch, shocks and exhaust..... drives superb.

Out of interest.

Mine is on 112k now and still on original clutch, shocks and exhaust..... drives superb.

Scott thats amazing I cant belive the exhaust has lasted that long whats your secret?

Out of interest.

Scott thats amazing I cant belive the exhaust has lasted that long whats your secret?

I think the car has just been used regularly and looked after - I am quite shocked myself. But its only had two owners from new and both of them women who didnt really use the performance.... so didnt rag the car about. This obviously makes a difference....

The exhaust is excellent nick but the centre box shows some surface rusting - although nothing heavy and will last a couple more years yet. The back box still polishes up well and have friends ask if its stainless :) lol - Clutch shows no sign of wear and although the shocks are still very good I think they will need doing sometime this year - not because they need doing but because I am a fussy git and the back ones are looking a bit manky! :)

The back box still polishes up well

you need to get out more... :-) :lol: ;-)

LOL - I agree... I wont mention cleaning the fuel tank then :oops: