Sign in to follow this  
VR6Pete

Heater Controls for Corrado VR6

As above, not 100% if they are the same as the golf VR6... please confirm if it is.

money waiting...

Pete

I think they're actually the same as a Passat, but they're also rarer than rocking horse poo in an unbroken state. I think you can still buy them from VW, but they're predictably ludicrously priced.

I have just got some Passat ones from the stealers whilst my car was at Stealth. The Rado ones are obsolete but the Passat ones can fit but you have to remove quite a few bits and bobs from them (air con switch and plastic bits for lighting) to get them to fit in the Rado. As Dr_Mat says...they are always broken second hand. New ones are not cheap (about £180) but I was sick of not being able to aim my blowers. I'm pretty chuffed I paid the ridiculous amount though with this shitty weather we are having.

oh bugger :( the same thing has happened with me, the knob on the far left doesnt turn fully, looks like the wheel / cog thing has broken - is this part common across other VW models, I am looking at a retro / cheap fix if I cannot find one in a fully working condition....

Pete

Well mine has stopped too.

I am told as long as you don't force it and it is not broken, this repair can be done with new cables rather than the whole Heater control unit.

A much cheaper solution.

I'm sure the boys will enlighten you further. !! :)

It kinda depends what's broken. I think there's a heater control repair doc in the wiki that might give you some enlightenment.

Usually the cables don't break, it's usually the plastic cogs/levers on the back of the controls. FWIW when I bought my car I found the feet/face controls didn't move (dial turned, but air direction didn't change). I was lucky though - nothing was broken - I just had to replace a clip on one of the cable attachments at the air box end and lo it all works fine. It doesn't feel solid though, so I'm deliberately very careful with it ..

Knowing the heater controls is quite a few things that can be fixed such as clipping but when the cogs go, its bugger and find a scrap unit to rob. That said...............

Alternative why can't the plastic cogs be replicated as the windows rollers have been. Then get a group buy together like Alex_G60_Fanatic , maybe the same supplier and make up a cog/other plastic plastic parts kit. :shrug:

Must be far cheaper than buying a Passat new one and doctoring it.

Regular lubrication with silicon oil on all the moving parts including the lower under dash parts helps to keep the system free. I do it as part of the serivce maintenance schedule.

Can we have the part no. for the relevant Passat Part, and the price from the stealer? Mine have broken too. I have set the heater box flaps so that generally I have air in all places, or with a careful 1/8th turn, all air to windscreen. Its workable but not a permanent solution!

£82 is a little steep :( was hoping for a cheaper way to fix it or at least re-use parts from another one....

£82 is a little steep :( was hoping for a cheaper way to fix it or at least re-use parts from another one....

still a lot cheaper than new ones no probs any way good luck with your search

I used the ones from a passat.......work fine now........I also have various parts left over from the old one and a similar aged vento one i thought might work........happy to send a cog if i have it :D

i have a set of heater controls, working but the tags were broken and i re-glued them, ideal for spares or repair for the cogs/gears ect.i will get a picture up

25 quid posted,

What are the tags? got any photos of what you've glued?

I'm gonna take my old one apart to see what I need to replace... will pop up photos :)

I'm trying to keep repair costs cheap as possible with stuff like this... its so easy to spend the money on a working unit, but i want the satisfaction of doing it myself... like what I'm doing with my pulley bearing :)

Pete

They are a real pain to get out......especially the wee clips at the back that hold the bowden cables........they pop up towards you but are really tight........take care not to break them........there is also a metal v shaped thing that sits between the 1st and 2nd cogs, which can come loose and jam things up.......not really needed either unless you like the hear the knobs click.

Get a pic up and i'll see if i have the bit/bits to help you out.......FOC :D

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/late_heater ... epair.html

I know I definatley need the cog in the lower right of this image:

controls.jpg

It's for the knob on the far left...

I have a big hole in mine, where presumably something was secured previous to removing the controls?

Pete

i have 2 broken tabs on mine as well.. happened little while back when i pulled it all out to do the matrix. Just waiting for some better weather and will attempt a strong DIY fix, not sure the best way to do it yet though

I know I definatley need the cog in the lower right of this image:

controls.jpg

It's for the knob on the far left...

I have a big hole in mine, where presumably something was secured previous to removing the controls?

Pete

I'll have a look when i get home :D

Ahhh bugger I've noticed that one of the plastic clips that holds the Biden cable in broken :(

yes that is so flimsy - God knows what vw were thinking there :( I've got a climatronic setup i'm looking to graft in to the aircon system - that'll get rid off all this headache with the control panel.

I've got a climatronic setup i'm looking to graft in to the aircon system - that'll get rid off all this headache with the control panel.

mmmmmmmm :luvlove: Thats going to be smart mate.

I've got a heater control setup but looking at it compared to mine, I'm thinking it could be from a LHD car. As in the turn knobs are the opposite way round. Would this still be of any use to anyone? Could parts from it be useful to anyone to come up with a fix?

Hope it can help.

its an idea atm Matt, the problem is in winter its too cold to do and in summer i'm enjoying the aircon. Just need to get some more info and see that I have everything i need.

I think your heater controls may still work, but perhaps you could post up some pics?

Ok mate, I'll have a go at getting some useful pics to show the details.

Then we can start a bidding frenzy to sell them for hundreds!........Ok sorry thats just looking at some of the ebay prices :cuckoo: