Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

Key sticking in the ignition

Permission to pick brains..

During the las couple of days this has started to happen. I get in the car (no key required) and put the key in the ignition but when i go to turn it, it won't turn it just sticks. I never put the steering lock on.

The first time it happened i was round the corner from a garage i've used before and one of the guys came and had a look. We sprayed some de-icer on it (all i had) and it eventually freed up but i don't think that was down to the de-icer and he reckoned it was to do with the steering lock.

It did it again today with both keys. Is there supposed to be some movement of the ignition barrel, as in going inwards?

Does anyone know whats causing this? I would remove the plastic and have a look but its just too cold at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kate

This happened to me a few weeks before I SORN'd it.

It did get better as the days rolled on but I couldn't help but notice it was as the cold weather decended upon us.

Keen to see how you get on.

Had the same a couple of weeks ago. De-icer did the trick but had to do it every time I got in car. Tried to get vw lock grease but had none in stock so got White grease from halfords. Sprayed that on for 3 days in a row and none since. Key turns first time every time.

Pretty easy, don't remember the price though. You drill a small hole in the steering column and pop the ignition barrel out, then the new one in. New key time though.....

Pretty easy, don't remember the price though. You drill a small hole in the steering column and pop the ignition barrel out, then the new one in. New key time though.....

Im pretty sure its weather related seems like to much of a coincidence that it happens just as it goes really cold. Also if it is barrel related i thought you could give VW your key code and they would order a barrel thats the same as all the other locks ?

Im pretty sure its weather related seems like to much of a coincidence that it happens just as it goes really cold. Also if it is barrel related i thought you could give VW your key code and they would order a barrel thats the same as all the other locks ?

Maybe :shrug: Fingers crossed!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_221665_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

that's the stuff...loads of other uses too.

or the proper vw stuff:

Don't use WD40 - it's not a long term fix - Just buy the proper stuff from VW, works wonders and I never have locks freezing.

Defo not WD40

G 052 778 A2.jpg[/attachment:uai1wqlx]

G052 778 A2 Lock Lube.

Note the the cap labelling "with de-icing effect". Comes with a spray tube as seen and also a lock "slot" adaptor to spray into the key slot.

Its a PTFE based product which lubricates and repels water. It's tacky to the surface it's applied to. Used it for years on MK2 Sciroccos.

As quoted above...not sure about 3-in-1 oil or WD40 as these might be a quick fix but not solve the problem.