Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Pug 205 GTi

At 6'3" he'd weigh almost as much as the car- no wonder it went off the road. If he'd just had lunch, it was probably overloaded

gotya !! thats the heal of his foot, thought it was his knee cap :scratch:

Haha, would be an odd looking dude if that were his knee :p

But yeah, it was a doctor who took that pic as they brought him in :p

I drove a non-power assisted 1.9 GTi once. Lots of fun, very very much like driving a go-kart, essentially. From a practical stand-point it was rubbish though. Noisy, small, bumpy as hell, those big wheels in those little arches meant the steering turn angle was very restricted - getting into a lot of parking spaces was a three point turn and brought out many a red face from over extertion ..

It must have been a modified one Dr. I had a non assisited 1.9 for 6 years and it rode like a dream. The suspension was amazing, it used to float over road imperfections and had the feel of a much bigger car. I used to drive 60 miles of back roads a day and it was brilliant, I never even considered ride quality untill I swapped to a VW.

Hell yes they were noisy though, like a tin can! I gave a colleague a lift home once, he hated it..said to me "do you really put up with this everyday?" I always found them practical for carrying things, I regularly had 2 mountain bikes and camping gear in the back, or more famously a cement mixer and a wheelbarrow!

We aint going for one now! Seeing as the Mrs will need to drive it too, she has decided to go with its lesser predecessor, the 206 GTi, instead.

Pah, women!!

A rather more practical choice, and surprisingly adept on the road too. Ain't the same though. The 205 1.9 GTi had a hairy chest and a moustache. The 206 GTi has a smart cardigan.

They looked like the standard 1.9 pepperpots to me, but maybe they were "enhanced" ...?

I was thinking more, stiffer springs, polybushed or something. Mine was stock, I had the rear beam rebuilt admittedly but it was brilliant, light and nimble, never harsh.

But yeah, it was a doctor who took that pic as they brought him in :p

Which he duly sold to Virgin Channel 1's "World's most gruesome accidents" :lol:

Saw a shot once of a 6" x 6" fence post punched through a traffic cop's shoulder and torso, on that program once. He was a lucky guy as it missed all vital organs and arteries!

And on the thread subject, I do like the 205 GTIs. Test drove a 1.6 GTI before buying the Corrado and looking back, it was utterly mint and totally standard and going for a cheap price. Wish I'd bought it now!

Everything about the GTI was instant in it's response. The throttle, steering, brakes, gear shift....all very responsive and uncorrupted. For standard suspension it felt spot on. It was whilst out on the test drive and after the novely wore off, I glanced around the cabin and at the red carpets and seatbelts and it just wasn't for me!

Someone mentioned fuel economy. My mate had a 1.9 and he calculated that his was returning 16mpg. Mind you, fuel was £2.20ish a gallon back then :(

I've had both assisted and non-assisted 205s, both are full of steering feel and both are precise and direct.

The only real difference is felt at parking speeds, where obviously the pas equipped car is easier.

To be honest though, i never had a problem with parking the non pas 205, they really are like go karts in the sharpness of their steering and lack of size and weight.

In fact my old 8 valve mk2 golf gti without pas I remember being much heavier and quite hard work when parking.

They looked like the standard 1.9 pepperpots to me, but maybe they were "enhanced" ...?

I think someone did make a Speedline replica in 16" instead of the standard 15" of the 1.9 GTi. Perhaps yours had these on.

We aint going for one now! Seeing as the Mrs will need to drive it too, she has decided to go with its lesser [strike:b6q29qp6]predecessor[/strike:b6q29qp6] successor, the 206 GTi, instead.

Pah, women!!

Fixed your post :salute:

And to everyone moaning about non PAS cars :camp: :camp: :camp: :camp: :camp: :camp: :camp: I mean, come on!! The 205 is NOT big and NOT heavy.

I think someone did make a Speedline replica in 16" instead of the standard 15" of the 1.9 GTi. Perhaps yours had these on.

[/quote:298kcpqy]

Even so, I think it's unlikely someone would have modified the whole suspension geometry to limit the turning circle just because they changed the wheels.

Same. The wide arches actually looked really good! I loved how the T16 bodywork used to scissor at the back too :D

wpbad0244d.png

Simm Simma, who got the keys to my Dimma...

peugeot-205-t16-2.jpg

The T16

Good pics Boostun Monk, the Dimma still looks good now imo :D

It's certainly very striking against all the bland same old, same old machines roaming our streets!

Definitely! I'd have to say that my pugsley was the best car I ever owned too. But with a fresh 160hp it was a 15sec car, and could pull 140 if you were suicidal enough. I'll try to find a pic of mine, it was all 1.6 on the outside.

I'm hoping the Corrado will live up to its reputation. Only time will tell I guess.

EDIT: My C will need more than a KR in though! :nuts:

Suicidal, LOL! One of my MK2 16Vs was like that. Past 120 it felt extremely dodgy, but you just had to keep your foot in anyway :D

tbh, my mk2 16v was the other car I sorely miss too. So I should be right at home with the C :D

My 205 would tramline and get real jittery past 120 too. I only did it a couple of times, and it was enough :o

tbh, my mk2 16v was the other car I sorely miss too. So I should be right at home with the C :D

My 205 would tramline and get real jittery past 120 too. I only did it a couple of times, and it was enough :o

Corrados are way more stable than MK2s at high speed mate. Well, speaking from VR6 ownership at least, which we know VW tested to at least 146mph, which is it's book speed.

I also know of a few folk with boosted VR6s who report it's also stable at 170mph as well :shock: :D Fastest I've had mine is 155 on a private road and it felt stable as you like....

My MK2s used to feel like they were about to leave the road at any moment past 120 :lol:

I can confirm they are stable at those speeds. 165 on the clock and it felt no real difference to 80mph, just a little more wind noise.