VR6Pete

The definitive 'Late Corrado Heater Controls' thread

As this topic is being covered over various areas of the forum, I thought I'd start off a thread where all information can be collated in relation to the problems and solutions with regards to the heater controls on the late Corrado (rotary controls).

So if anyone has any tips / tricks for repairing / replacing the troublesome unit, please add your comments!

Here's a few threads i've collated together from recent conversation.

Heater Controls Only working on 4 - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=87464

General discussion - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=99428

Chineese Chineese MK2 Jetta Dash - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=100474

Edited by davidwort

Golf MkIII controls are fairly common at autojumbles (VW jumbles anyway!) and scrappies for around £5, and all of the parts are interchangeable with Corrado controls.

anyone know which black cable goes where? took mine out and not sure if they were correctly fitted? And how do get the flap control lower lever up? It seems to be not moving while I rotate the knob .

This is exactly what I was looking but sadly only the link easypops posted works...can anyone provide working ones for VR6Pete's 3 above?

Ta.

Edited by themainliner

Which parts of the Mk3 controls do you need? Just the control panel? Do the Bowden cables just match straight up?

Edited by Anton Sobriquet

Anton if you're answering Tristan H I should check the date of his post.

No, nothing to do with Tristan H.

It was nrc's earlier post that Mk3 controls are interchangeable with Corrado ones. My control panel vent control has broken (I think) and I'm looking for a quick fix. Just wanted to know if the control panel from a Mk 3 is a straight swap, like the Passat one.

Just repaired mine with a bit of ingenious plastic welding (direction dial) where the pivot housing for the "underneath" arm had broken, and the cam snail had broken on the underside of the gear. ...

Anyway, I had some spares off a 6n polo ('94 - '99) which are tantalisingly close looking, but 1 of the cams is "backwards", so are NOT interchangeable!

Just thought I'd flag this up, as scrapyards are full of them at the moment!

---------- Post added at 9:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:01 AM ----------

Just repaired mine with a bit of ingenious plastic welding (direction dial) where the pivot housing for the "underneath" arm had broken, and the cam snail had broken on the underside of the gear. ...

Anyway, I had some spares off a 6n polo ('94 - '99) which are tantalisingly close looking, but 1 of the cams is "backwards", so are NOT interchangeable!

Just thought I'd flag this up, as scrapyards are full of them at the moment!

So it's either a Passat heater control, or find a ton for a replacement Corrado panel then?

eBay has a few 'Rado ones for strong money, don't see ANY Passat ones on there tho...sadly this is a job I'm going to have to tackle sooner or later...

From what's already been said, it looks like a set of mk3 golf ones'd be worth investigating.

B3 and B4 passats are getting a bit rare in breakers yards these days.

Always worth whipping yours out and investigating the actual fault though, as a bit of creative bodging might sort it!

sadly when i bought mine it was knackered anyway, does'nt work on any setting cables very very stiff so will be paying the local scrapyard a visit soon lol

MK3 golf ones do NOT work. They are very close, but the mechs are backwards and not interchangeable.

Plastic welding or liquid metal putty is the way forward.

Where has the chinese Chinese jetta dash link gone? Was it an updated look?

The Chinese Jetta dash is LHD with the heater controls the other way round:-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75312[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75313[/ATTACH]

Does anyone have any knackered controls?

I'm after the far left cog, the one where there are 2 Bowden cables going to it...

Many thanks.

Pete

Does the travel seem normal on this guys?

Trying determine why the second set of heater controls have given up again... Seems to go really stiff once everything is connected up, but all appears to move freely when disconnected from the controls?

My flaps (excuse the pun) all move with ease with the cables disconnected. It's really weird.

The cables also move easily also when disconnected from everything.

Fixed! After replacing the far left gear as it broke with a spare one I had.

Once it all went back together the nob didn't go all the way to the window position, looking at the mechanism, the lever was hitting the plastic before the flap actually closed / open. What I had noticed is that the gear the big gear on the lever the Bowden cable attached too had jumped 3 teeth, which when trying to move the knob more than it was able to travel actually broke the weakest point, the gear in the controls.

Using a screw driver to lever the gear on the heater box was able to jump it 3 teeth so if all now lines up and everything now moves really freely and without effort.

It's worth checking your gears on the heater box to check its not jumped any teeth, this is the one the lower arm in the heater controls connects too on the heater box.

hi everyone been away a while.. winter is hear and i need th heater sorting..

so i got no pipes leading from my heater box to my windows, ive got very little heat coming through at all..

What i really want to kno is are all of the corrado heaters so weak like a asthmatic mouse coffing through a straw... or is it my heater motor that has gone.?

i also want to upgrade to the later style controls.. or if anyone can help me i would like to upgrade it to the climatronic system, not worried about fitting aircon... just want a nice strong heater, ill happily run some pipe up behind the dash to dimist the wondows and blow some heat in the cab...

if anyone has done this or can send me a link showing exactly how u can get this done. please let me know.

hi everyone been away a while.. winter is hear and i need th heater sorting..

so i got no pipes leading from my heater box to my windows, ive got very little heat coming through at all..

What i really want to kno is are all of the corrado heaters so weak like a asthmatic mouse coffing through a straw... or is it my heater motor that has gone.?

i also want to upgrade to the later style controls.. or if anyone can help me i would like to upgrade it to the climatronic system, not worried about fitting aircon... just want a nice strong heater, ill happily run some pipe up behind the dash to dimist the wondows and blow some heat in the cab...

if anyone has done this or can send me a link showing exactly how u can get this done. please let me know.