Wompa

MK4/Polo Shifter

Hi!

Im looking into doing this.. but does any one have a easy guide to all the parts needed?

Can I use the whole MK4 shifterbox or is the Polo the way to go?

Shifterbox: MK4 or Polo

Shifter: Mk4 inside a Polo box?

Cables: MK4

Shifter tower: MK4?...

Is this correct?

Any one with the part numbers?

There are three parts you need. The mk4 Polo shifter housing and baseplate, and a lever for the mechanism.

The three parts allow you to mount the mk4 02J shifter mechanism in a housing which bolts in to the Corrado.

Part numbers:

6n0 711 061 a houseing

6n0 711 090 a base plate

6n0 711 611 c selector arm

Those are the only three Polo parts. All the others are mk4 (cables, tower, etc). They are about £50 new from VW.

Hope that helps :)

I've had a s3 shift mech, cables and tower kicking about for a while. I spent about two hourstrying to fit the shift mech into the tunnel but it was too big.

Are the Polo parts still available new then? I don't suppose you have a photo of them?

Thanks alot mate!! Found that there is a Polo -00 at the local junkyard... sweet!

And the MK4 stuff... any part nr for those or should I look for a specific engine that have the O2J box?

And the mounting bracket is the same on a Polo and Corrado? Thats why it fits..?

Everything else is from a MK4 shifter... so I can take both and then swap the parts needed?

Edited by Wompa

The parts are only from the diesel model, not all 6N Polos, so be sure it is the right one.

As far as I know any mk4 shifter should work in this housing. The Polo tunnel is the same as the mk2 / Corrado, so thats why it fits, as opposed to the mk4 tunnel which is very different.

Basically you need a mk4 shifter setup and these three parts and you can build one that fits the 'rado. I'm pretty sure this setup fits the 02M as well - afaik that has the same shift tower as the 02J, but I'm not 100%.

@poll250 - yes the parts are still available new. They used to be on back order in the UK, but I have shipped so many sets to the USA that now they keep them in stock at Milton Keynes and at my local TPS :D

Here's the original thread on Vortex that started me supplying these parts to the guys in the US: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4668026-Euro-Shifter-parts-options-for-retrieving-and-slight-rant

And a pic from that thread:

Foto-ODUXQVYY-1.jpg

The Polo housing is at the bottom.

:cat:

Smoothnes!

And no 5hp gain ;)

Aha... so its not all Polos that have that box... damn! Because they had two 6N Polos at the yard but not a singel TDI.

What would I cost from VAG if I would order?

Edited by Wompa

Ordered my Polo parts earlier and should have them in a couple of days. Will get it built up asap and postsome photos.

Picked my parts up Thursday and spent today fitting. The shift mech bits fit inside the tunnel nice and easily. Need a couple of longer volts to fix it to the chassis but found some luckily.

Getting the old tower out and new one in was a pig of a job, so much stuff in the way but managed it in the end, looks like adjustment will be nice and simple so will give that a go tomorrow.

One thing: how do you get the reverse light working? The rado one sits on top of the tower, but the mk4 one has a threaded hole in the side. Do I need to buy an extra sensor to screw in?

My god!

Got it all adjusted and back on all 4 wheels earlier and the gear change is amazing! Like a whole new car :)

Feels tighter and the throw is shorter than my GFs 30k mile MR2 so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Sound great mate!

About the MK4 parts... You took the cables, shifter tower that sits in the gearbox and the shifter itself?

I want to know what MK4 Golf that came with the 02J gearbox...

I think the shifter tower was from a mk4 Golf, and the shift mech and cables from an S3. But they should be the same. I then got TT shiftweight which reduces throw a bit I think and all the Polo parts from earlier in this thread.

I'll get some photos up asap.

poll how much did it cost in total for the polo parts? did you get them from vw?

Also does anyone know if parts from the old seat ibiza can be used instead of the polo?

I think the Polo parts came to around £100 from memory

Another thing to add to this is the way the Reverse light is setup is slightly different. After a lot of delving I found that part 020 945 415 A will fit the standard VR reverse plug, and also screw into the Mk4 style shift tower. About £10 for the switch.

Got the MK4 parts now.. only payd 20euro the the shifter and tower... :p

Ordering the Polo parts next.

For anyone interested in the current price (Aug 13) for the parts to convert the base plate on a mk4 02J to the Polo setup, the prices are:

6n0 711 061 a housing £50.51

6n0 711 090 a - base plate £7.38

6n0 711 611 c - selector arm £8.15

All prices plus VAT from TPS and take a week or so to arrive from Germany

For anyone interested in the current price (Aug 13) for the parts to convert the base plate on a mk4 02J to the Polo setup, the prices are:

6n0 711 061 a housing £50.51

6n0 711 090 a - base plate £7.38

6n0 711 611 c - selector arm £8.15

All prices plus VAT from TPS and take a week or so to arrive from Germany

Thanks for the info, that's just what I need for my o2s setup.

I've started getting the parts together for this conversion.

So here is the new shifter assembly along side the Corrado shifter.

PoloConversionTopView_zps00548129.jpg

PoloConversionCableEnds_zps3bf40e1c.jpg

PoloConversionShifterBox_zps2e992868.jpg

PoloConversionEndView_zpsb9fc0141.jpg

The height of the actual stick is way longer than the Corrado so I've cut this down to match and will re-thread the end, it's still the original length in the photo's.

When the shifter box is fitted to the Corrado tunnel, the stick will sit about 10 to 15mm higher if my calcs are correct, you can see the height comparison of the spring tops in this photo.

PoloConversionStickHeight_zps6f1cd4a3.jpg

This photo shows the comparison of the section of the shifter that will sit inside the car, the Polo box has a little more bulk to it but it should drop into the space without any interference with the plastic surround and gaiter.

PoloConversionBoxHeight_zps6811b520.jpg

The only other thing I can see different is the centreline of the actual stick sits about 5mm further back than the Corrado but not enough to bother it, you can see it in one of the photos.

I just need to get hold of an 02J selector tower now, then I can get it installed.

Try a scrappy for the tower, mine cost a fiver. Very worthwhile mod.

I've got some local to me, I'll drop in Sat morning.

slight chance you need the bearing that the tower sits in , 2x 13mm bolts directly under where the tower is plus drain the oil

Try a scrappy for the tower, mine cost a fiver. Very worthwhile mod.

I wish! Had to pay £30 this morning from my local scrappy but never mind I've got one now.

slight chance you need the bearing that the tower sits in , 2x 13mm bolts directly under where the tower is plus drain the oil

I don't think I need the bearing as it should already be in the box. I have a spare 02A tower and the bottom end is the same as the 02J so should just be a straight swap.