gonzo

Any ideas 16v just started playing up

my 16v has just started to randomly run then misfire. don't think mine likes the damp. and any comments on spark plugs, mine has triple electrode ones.when i fire it up it splutters, seems to be running on 2 cylinders can pull ht leads off first two plugs and it makes no difference, pull them off the second two and engine changes it tune. is this the distributor?. has fairly new cap and rotor arm. any help or ideas would be appreciated

Edited by gonzo

it seems nobody seems to like answering threads these days, unless your a well known member that is......

anyways il try and help seeing as nobody else is, i had the same problem, change the dizzy cap and rotor arm and this should help, mine didnt like the damp either and it turned out my dizzy cap suffered from damp bad! There easy to change and are only a few quid, if that doesnt help id go to the coil next again easy to change, and if those dont work go onto spark plugs and ht leads, may help to spray a bit of wd40 about on the electrical connections etc....not sure if thats good advice but i do it to try and protect them from the elements! Also take it for a good blast every now and again i do it in my 16v and it always runs better afterwards!

Hope this helps!

Take the dizzy cap off and make sure it is bone dry. Check the rotar arm isn't damaged also . A good spray of WD40 is a good idea too. If that doesn't help pull the plugs out and check them. If fouled gives them a good clean- or replace if needed.

Good luck

Darren

Sent from iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

it seems nobody seems to like answering threads these days, unless your a well known member that is......

anyways il try and help seeing as nobody else is, i had the same problem, change the dizzy cap and rotor arm and this should help, mine didnt like the damp either and it turned out my dizzy cap suffered from damp bad! There easy to change and are only a few quid, if that doesnt help id go to the coil next again easy to change, and if those dont work go onto spark plugs and ht leads, may help to spray a bit of wd40 about on the electrical connections etc....not sure if thats good advice but i do it to try and protect them from the elements! Also take it for a good blast every now and again i do it in my 16v and it always runs better afterwards!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for stepping up! I think it's just a case of everyone getting used to the new format- the forum was similar with past face lifts. Takes a few weeks for posting to get back to what it was before the change.

Gonzo, any progress?

• Like 1

could also be your leads or head gasket on way out.mine would miss for 1st few seconds then it would clear,i was using water tho

cheers guys, thought everyone had gone on holiday. it has been in work shop for a couple of days now, drying out, going to swap plugs and leads around today,see if the problem is there, have already sprayed most of the connectors, will order a coil today if no progress, or should i order a distributor? if spark is going to two plugs it would seem coil is sending spark to dizzy and dizzy not distributing it correctly?? will keep you posted

Thanks for stepping up! I think it's just a case of everyone getting used to the new format- the forum was similar with past face lifts. Takes a few weeks for posting to get back to what it was before the change.

Gonzo, any progress?

I think theres only so long you can blame this new look for the lack of interest people seem to be showing at the moment. There are the popular group on here which i would imagine know each other outside of the forum and they reply to each others threads consistantly but seem to ignore others? I mean this thread had a large number of views but nobody posted anything and it seems unlikely to me that nobody had any answers to give!? just a thought thats all, were all enthusiasts trying to keep corrado alive, so help a brother out!

• Like 1

ok here we go, started fine ran ok for about 5 mins then started to do the same, took dizzy off and it looks as if previous owner whacked it with a hammer on the soft metal thing that spins round on the inside. why would it run ok for a bit then start playing up ?

do you mean the rotor arm,if so i would get a new 1 as they are only cheap even if that dont cure it

rotor arm looks fine, it is on the engine side of the dizzy, if you unbolt from engine there is a metal disc that spins round next to the sensor

i had a few problems like this a few weeks ago i replaced the dizzy and rotor arm and chacked all the leads one of them had been rubbing on something so i taped it up til i could get new ones also before my trip to dg autotech i had a play with the timing just loosen the bolt and with the engin running slowly slowly turn it on mine you could hear it running much nice and not as rough ! one more thing i found was that my lambda sensor was getting damp after jetwashing it in garage underneath to get the winter salt off and broke down .... it had come of its clip and was hanging down and collecting water wich in return was making it run sloppy .

not much but my contribution dont worry nobody replies to my questions that often lol just get out and try it ya self

i had a few problems like this a few weeks ago i replaced the dizzy and rotor arm and chacked all the leads one of them had been rubbing on something so i taped it up til i could get new ones also before my trip to dg autotech i had a play with the timing just loosen the bolt and with the engin running slowly slowly turn it on mine you could hear it running much nice and not as rough ! one more thing i found was that my lambda sensor was getting damp after jetwashing it in garage underneath to get the winter salt off and broke down .... it had come of its clip and was hanging down and collecting water wich in return was making it run sloppy .

not much but my contribution dont worry nobody replies to my questions that often lol just get out and try it ya self

can you really do the timing like that?? i would love to have a go but im pretty sure id mess it up hahah!

Yep thats how me and my dad did it im sure its the timing thats on the other end of the dizzy cap closest the engine ! The last lad who ha the car advanced the timing to try make it quiker but doing that made mine missfire every five seconds or so

Its really simple to do just one bolt and then turn it with mine you could hear it stop missing and sounding much healthier! Have a look and if ya cant do it il post up a pic , mine ok now dave at dg auto tech said i had got it spotnon with the dizzy being at 8 degrese i think

yeah have done the same on other cars I've had in the past just listen to the tune of the engine, have got mine booked in at a garage next week, new distributor, dizzy cap, rotor arm,ht leads, plugs, cam belt, gearbox and engine oil change and a little tune up, hopefully that will sort it, if not, at least i have narrowed the search down a bit lol. still looking for a manifold, might have to go stainless later in the year, if i cannot find one. maybe a respray and remap next year. will keep you posted. cheers guys

Just a thought, it could be something to do with the injectors in cylinders 1 & 2. You could try swapping leads 1 and 4 to see if there is any difference and help eliminate sources of problems. Though the damage to the dizzy sounds like its your problem.

As for dizzy advance, yep, turn it it it sounds good!

Yep thats how me and my dad did it im sure its the timing thats on the other end of the dizzy cap closest the engine ! The last lad who ha the car advanced the timing to try make it quiker but doing that made mine missfire every five seconds or so

Its really simple to do just one bolt and then turn it with mine you could hear it stop missing and sounding much healthier! Have a look and if ya cant do it il post up a pic , mine ok now dave at dg auto tech said i had got it spotnon with the dizzy being at 8 degrese i think

yeah if you could get a picture so i know what bolt it is that would be great!

yeah if you could get a picture so i know what bolt it is that would be great!

Just loosen both bolts holding the dizzy on and rotate clockwise (looking at it over the passenger wing) to advance.

as soon as i get mine fixed i am off to DG for a tune up and maybe a remap, how much do they charge for remapping?. has anyone got a stainless manifold, if so where how much and how good, has anyone used the stp injector cleaner solution?

Edited by gonzo

A remap at DG is around £200 The stainless mani's available on ebay aren't bad and fairly cheap. Just make sure it fits a RHD with power steering. And it WILL sit very close to your gear selector cables so wrap the mani and insulate and strap the cables up to the chassis.

Hi Guys! Difficult one when people aren't replying... I've really struggled to find a garage that know what they're talking about. So, I can't fix the bugger, and loads of mechanics can't either... hmmm. I had starting problems but turned out it was the Lamda (DG Autotech fixed, ta very much), now i have starting problems if I don't run the car everyday... new leads/injectors and a good clean of the dizzy, but still the same thing. Gonna try change the plugs this weekend (newbie) and see if that helps ... a nice easy one for people... ANYONE recommend a particular brand/type of Plug (I know nothing, so keep it simple - pretty please)!

I just know I'm gonna be stuck when I get back to Luton airport in a couple of weeks time, when my Rado wont start!

2.0 16v 1992

Cheers!

Hi Guys! Difficult one when people aren't replying... I've really struggled to find a garage that know what they're talking about. So, I can't fix the bugger, and loads of mechanics can't either... hmmm. I had starting problems but turned out it was the Lamda (DG Autotech fixed, ta very much), now i have starting problems if I don't run the car everyday... new leads/injectors and a good clean of the dizzy, but still the same thing. Gonna try change the plugs this weekend (newbie) and see if that helps ... a nice easy one for people... ANYONE recommend a particular brand/type of Plug (I know nothing, so keep it simple - pretty please)!

I just know I'm gonna be stuck when I get back to Luton airport in a couple of weeks time, when my Rado wont start!

2.0 16v 1992

Cheers!

How old is the battery? It sounds as if it's not holding a charge. Does it start with jump leads after it has been lying.

Yo Wullie,

it always cranks, just wont fire... last time I had the problem (4/5 days without being used), I put the jump leads on and hooked her up to a BMW, had to crank her for about an hour before she fired. I had to apply the throttle or else the engine would cut out... when warmed up she'd idle ok, but I have to do a fair few miles on the road before it feels normal to drive again (lack of power in low revs and lumpy) - but once done, it's perfect... until the next time she's left standing for a few days (next week, arghhhh)!

cheers man,

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Not sure on the battery - I got the car 18months ago, so maybe 2-3 years old battery (but cant confirm) - i just presumed, as she wont fire even with the jump leads (for ages), that the battery probably isn't the problem!