emu

Yandards' Blackberry VR6 - Making my garden shed look good

emu,

Clocked this on e-bay myself this morning and thought it was a bit of a bargin! if I had the space I'd be having it.

good luck with the sale.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83186[/ATTACH]

Crikey that is cheap.

Needs a bit of work (bonnet is lumpy) but otherwise looks pretty solid.

Humn..

Edited by Yandards

Whoops..

..all the electrics work and the sunroof both tilts and slides which is nice, no rust I could spot.

Needs a new radiator, PAS pipe and front brake line flexis to make it ok mechanically - drivers seat has seen better days but apart from that its a solid car.

Edited by Yandards

Whoops..

..all the electrics work and the sunroof both tilts and slides which is nice, no rust I could spot.

Needs a new radiator, PAS pipe and front brake line flexis to make it ok mechanically - drivers seat has seen better days but apart from that its a solid car.

Have you been there to look on the car ??

Is that three now ?

Yep, Corrado number 4 in total.

Needs a bloody good clean and I have little doubt I will find various things that need sorting when I get it home but it seemed a waste not to have a look given how close it is to me and far away from everyone else.

Nice one Yan,

I was a bit late on the go for tis one but its another 'right colour' car.

and great that it was so handy.

Cheers

R

I nearly went up to Scotland to buy this one a few months back. But the bloke selling it was an absolute nightmare! Spent about two weeks asking him to send more photos, always danced around questions you asked and kept trying to sell me Ford Explorers and Renault Scenics!! Obviously a trader!

Will be interested to see how you get on Yan :) Always loved blackberry and I WILL own a Corrado in this colour one day. I take it you're planning on going back to standard seeing as you're after a set of VR springs?

I nearly went up to Scotland to buy this one a few months back. But the bloke selling it was an absolute nightmare! Spent about two weeks asking him to send more photos, always danced around questions you asked and kept trying to sell me Ford Explorers and Renault Scenics!! Obviously a trader!

Will be interested to see how you get on Yan :) Always loved blackberry and I WILL own a Corrado in this colour one day. I take it you're planning on going back to standard seeing as you're after a set of VR springs?

Yeah, it's more a car for Mrs Yandards than for me (although I will drive it obviously!) so the closer to factory the better really. He's not a bad bloke after meeting him and is a mechanic and obviously dabbles in trading.

It is in a right state at the moment, camber is way off on the front after the new lowering springs were slapped on it, drivers seat is long gone and it's generally very very dirty. Couple that with a radiator that has more cooling fins that have fallen off than are left, the usual stiff heater controls, a bit of light surface rust on both inner wings inside the engine bay (battery tray and airbox area) and a O/S/F wing panel gap that is way too close to the bonnet, a ding in the bonnet that is going rusty so it needs some serious love.

However, there is no sign of any other rust in the usual spots, bottom of the arches front and rear and around the side repeaters; the only bit I could find was the trailing edge rear face of the drivers door - again some surface which will clean up ok. All the electrics work as they should including a tilt and slide sunroof, newly refurbed speedlines, clutch feels good, new magnex exhaust (although that might get swapped out for factory at a later date) and the only fault VAG-COM threw up was one for the intake manifold temp sensor shorting to earth. It does look like a pretty well looked after car for most of its life until it got parked up a couple of years ago, it also looks like it has been left in factory trim for most of that time too which I prefer.

Collecting it tomorrow at 10:00 with an MOT booked for the afternoon, will get some pictures and start one of them blog thingies to show the progress, suffice to say I have a pile of new suspension bits sat on the floor already, a set of original rear light clusters, an airbox, various service items, a set of Corrado and VR6 badges and more to go on. Then it's onto some serious buffing (weather permitting) and trying to source a good condition black/blue seat and any other things I find that need sorting out.

Got a deadline of the end of this month for it back on the road as the nugget is due tax and insurance then so I might as well 'test' the VR for a month to check it's ok before handing the keys over.. :)

Edited by Yandards

Haha... top man Yan. To be honest your collection was looking incomplete without a VR6 anyway ;)

Haha... top man Yan. To be honest your collection was looking incomplete without a VR6 anyway ;)

Heh, it's just the extra parts I might need to horde now, have been collecting early stuff for ages and it's going to get silly with 5 sets of late indicators to go with the 5 sets of early.. ;)

Collected and it's now on the drive, frankly it's a bit of a shed but I suspect some serious action with the orbital and a new bonnet will help no end.

Created a blog thingy to chart the work on this instead of a members thread, link is here

Right, not really got the hang of that there blog thingy so I will do normal updates in here and also then blog the post with update - I think that's the way this is supposed to work anyway :)

Ok, so today was the first day I attacked the car properly, decided as the weather was ok (ie not raining) that I would have a go at the poor paint to see how much work I had gotten myself into.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45513[/ATTACH]

After 5 passes with the rotary with my strongest polish and cutting pad I was getting no where fast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45516[/ATTACH]

So I decided to try a spot of wet sanding. I soon ended up finding the original blackberry underneath the respray so carried on sanding so I could get an idea of how it was coming along. The plan was to only wet sand the top edge of the wing up to the 1st panel line, from there down the respray is not too bad. I needed to cut back to where the wing meets the door and A pillar so I could get an idea of what it was going to be like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45521[/ATTACH]

Suffice to say the original paint is in good condition underneath the poorly colour matched top coat and a single go with the rotary polisher brings it up a treat! I think I will be able to get away with only sanding the top of the wing for now but the door and rear quarter may need more work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45518[/ATTACH]

Satisfied that the paint was recoverable and how best to go about that I set to work on the interior, 1st thing to do was to get the passenger seat out, which revealed this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45511[/ATTACH]

Not too bad but definitely in need of some serious hoovering, so I cracked on with that and got the passenger side ready for cleaning. It was time for some lunch by then so I went in for a bit, just as I was heading back out the Parcelforce bloke delivered a set of original rear light fittings. As I am easily distracted I ignored the previous job and set about getting the mIngPros off the car.

As I was stripped the rear lights off the boot I spotted some corrosion (or rust if you like) on the inside of the boot, so off came the number plate plinth to reveal this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45515[/ATTACH]

Complete with one that had gone all the way through!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45514[/ATTACH].

It looks like the welding guy at Karmann was having a bad day as both of these points are the strengthing bracket that supports the spoiler mech. So it was out with the dremmel to grind all that corrosion out which left me with this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45510[/ATTACH]

Finally all the bare metal was treated with Jenolite Jelly, a corrosion neutraliser, before being painted with Zinga, spray coating that gives a performance equivalent to hot galvanic dipping, prior to filling the bit that had gone through.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45509[/ATTACH]

Luckily as it all lives behind the number plate plinth I don't have to worry too much about the final finish, which is handy as I don't have any blackberry paint!!

Edited by Yandards

Good to see another Corrado coming back to life!

You might already know this but you must cover up the primer with a top coat, as it's porus and won't stop any rust from coming back.

Good to see another Corrado coming back to life!

You might already know this but you must cover up the primer with a top coat, as it's porus and won't stop any rust from coming back.

Yep, although its not a primer its a coating - Zinga.

All the bare metal was treated with Jenolite jelly prior to Zinga application which is a chemical rust killer; so the combination of both products should mean it stops without any furthur issues.

I will be putting another layer of Zinga on today (was getting dark last night) after I have tidied up the filler and then slapping a temporary topcoat on it until I get some blackberry paint.